Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2021 at 12:31am
Thanks, that solves a couple of mysteries.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2021 at 7:29pm
Finally got around to working on the fender braces/rocker sliders. There was this T shaped metal in the shop left by the previous owners and I thought it would work for this purpose.

First, had to torch off the steps from the diamond plate siding.

And clamped in place; I’ll work on finishing this over the weekend. Have to get some fancy bolts to hold them on.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2021 at 7:30pm

Mission accomplished for completing the rocker sliders; the right side was a little more work dealing with the tools. Had to add a tab for the axe holder and cut some slots so it can open plus drilled a hole for the handle loop. The diamond plate lives on! 

48 CJ2A
KC-10ENG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-10ENG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 1:40pm
Subscribed.   Looks great!
1948 CJ2A
Retired USAF
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 2:22pm
otto,

any chance you could post some close-up pics of both ends of the axe holder to see how you dealt with them interacting with the slider? and maybe interior shots too?

i was going to build angle iron sliders but realized the axe and axe holders were in the way. you solved it. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

otto,

any chance you could post some close-up pics of both ends of the axe holder to see how you dealt with them interacting with the slider? and maybe interior shots too?

i was going to build angle iron sliders but realized the axe and axe holders were in the way. you solved it. 

Bight,

I too was concerned about the tools conflicting with the rocker sliders, but this was an easy fix. The original holes for the tool brackets don't change so if you already have them, you shouldn't need to create new ones. 

You can see how I just added a tab onto the slider where the axe holder is bolted through the tub. For the other end, the hoop didn't need to change at all and used the original holes (if you have them).  EZPZ

There is a small plate on the inside of the axe holder that sandwiches the tub between the bracket and the plate so that will work to help bolster the attachment points of the slider.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by KC-10ENG KC-10ENG wrote:

Subscribed.   Looks great!

I didn't know there were subscriptions, thanks for tuning in.

I just noticed that this project has been on the page for almost ten years and hasn't progressed very far; I need to get into gear and get crackin'.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2022 at 9:39pm

I spent some time with the windshield frame and got it to “good enough” status. I quit trying to make it perfect and starting making it fit instead. It actually was a little narrow compared to my other jeep’s windshield, so it got widened about 4 mm.

I’ve given up on Classic Enterprises making me a windshield panel without the latch holes (we talked about this last October), and I’ll just try to weld up the holes in the panel I already have without warping the ^&*( out of it. I had to try some other cheating tricks to get the frame to fit better, but now I think it will work.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 12:20am

Tonight the rehab of the crosscut saw was completed and I found a handy spot to store it in the jeep; it just took a couple of non-stock holes in the saw.

I really didn’t plan on replacing the bow storage studs in the windshield panel (because hardtop), but now it’s just got to happen so the saw can be carried in either jeep.

48 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 5:42am
Thumbs Up....Looks like it was made for it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 9:18am
Nice saw. Excellent location. Wall art on a vehicle that itself is art.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 10:20am
Looks even better than an M1 Garand in that spot.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2022 at 11:08pm
Thanks,

The saw is more than just art, it's ready to cut too. I got it super sharp after reading this publication:

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 12:01am

The windshield made some forward progress. I managed to get the windshield panel welded in without warping it. So with that panel in place, I welded up some washers and modded carriage bolts to use as the bow storage studs. Now the saw can be carried in both jeeps. 

Because I was hesitant to tempt fate and weld them in, I used the bodyman’s friend to install them and the gas filler pocket- windshield urethane! This gooey, messy stuff will stick most anything to anything for a good long time. 

48 CJ2A
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 12:30am
Nice ratchet "clamp".
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 10:39pm

Had some success with the windshield frame and made some forward progress. It fought me for a long time but now it has a good fit with the hardtop and cowl. The seal even fits snugly and evenly against the cowl and passes the dollar bill test.

I also dug out the hinge pillars for the doors, that’s next. They need to get fitted so the doors can be attached and close correctly. Right now, the hinge pillars have the hinges welded to them; I want to reverse this so the hinge is attached to the doors. When the doors are removed from the jeep, the hinges will be removed with them for a cleaner look, not to mention remove something to snag clothes on (it’s happened!). Both of the piano-type hinges are shot, so I’ll have to shop for them. It also looks like the passenger hinge pillar will need to be shortened to clear the shovel- maybe the bottom of the door too. I generally don’t run the doors, but as long as I’m doing this they might as well get fixed up.

48 CJ2A
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2022 at 10:39am
Looking great. Almost time to do a post that has the photo from your first entry with the latest status. Tremendous progress.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2022 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

Looking great. Almost time to do a post that has the photo from your first entry with the latest status. Tremendous progress.

Thanks, I do think some before/after photos will be in order but only after it's painted. And speaking of photos, I was looking at some older pics of the jeep and noticed the hinge pillars were body color (well, everything was painted black so it all matched).  I started thinking about how they might look white, and I don't think that would look right. As of right now, I'm thinking painting the pillars red and the doors would be white. 

Thoughts?
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>