Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 6:25pm
You're supposed to paint the vehicle not your feet...
Big smile
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 8:46pm
Looks like something that I would do. 
Thumbs Up
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

You're supposed to paint the vehicle not your feet...
Big smile

Ha! Why not both?!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:33am
Wet sanded the hood after spraying the underside. Once sanded, you can sight down the panel and see how it will look painted. I must say, it’s not bad for a hood that had a huge hole in it.

The fenders in the background will need to be re-sprayed; I’m not happy with how they turned out at all after having one of “those days” in the paint shop where everything I touched went south. Plus my whole shop (and feet) are covered in red.

Edited by otto - 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:38am
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 2:04pm

This morning the front fenders got re-sprayed and I redeemed my earlier efforts. I tried a few things different this time:

I put shoes on

Used the conventional air cap instead of the HVLP cap

Mixed the paint to the letter

Corrected air pressure

Today these changes worked out and the paint laid down pretty well and turned out fairly clean. Last time the fenders got a good application of dirt in the paint and something that created a bunch of fish eyes- not sure what it was, something may have passed through the gun. I sanded the fenders down with 400 grit and started over.

The spray gun I’m using is from a kit that I bought quite a while ago from Home Depot of all places, but I needed a gravity style gun for spraying a project in close constraints. The kit consisted of two guns, two different size cups, cleaning kit, other stuff, blah, blah, blah. The guns worked well enough that I’ve not replaced them with something better, and I was on the verge of just buying a much better gun, but wanted to try an experiment. 

I’ve used the conventional air cap before and it works OK, but creates more overspray. The HVLP air cap creates less overspray, but by doing so sprays the paint in larger particles and doesn’t atomize as well. This is a benefit in my improvised paint space and because I wear glasses. So today I used the conventional air cap and sprayed the paint at about 30-35 psi (I say “about” because that’s as close as my gun regulator can achieve). I was likely spraying at much higher pressure earlier to get better atomization from the HVLP cap and because old habits die hard.

The paint mixes 8:1:2 which is mostly paint, and I’m still getting used to it. My bench is just a piece of plywood on a scissors rack which wobbles, so today I was very careful not to bump it. This is important so you can see the marks on the mixing cup. Mixed exactly to the marks with a mid-temp reducer, the paint went on pretty well. Still might entertain a new gun though…

48 CJ2A
wish i knew more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 7:57pm
Hold up! That is beautiful!
My name is Cameron Koehn.

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 9:02pm
Looks great!  Excited to see it finished!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by wish i knew more wish i knew more wrote:

Hold up! That is beautiful!

Thank you!

Looks great!  Excited to see it finished!

You and me both!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 11:11pm

So I sprang for a new spray gun! It was payday so why not, right? It’s a Devilbiss FLG and it came with a bit of kit with 1.3mm, 1.4mm and 1.8mm needles and fluid nozzles. So this gun can handle bases, clears and primers even though it won’t be used for primers.

This gun wasn’t super expensive and I’ve heard good reviews about it. It’s imported, but it came across the Atlantic Ocean as it’s made in Great Britain. Hope I don’t need some Whitworth tools to work on it. It also came with a manual written in a language I could understand.

I didn’t think that this project called for a Sata or other high-end spray gun just to paint jeeps, it could be justified if I did this kind of work for a paycheck... It’s the same reason I have an Epiphone Les Paul and not a Gibson.

Edited by otto - 26 Aug. 2022 at 11:13pm
48 CJ2A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2022 at 12:17am
Let us know your thoughts, I’m in the market for a new HVLP gun.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2022 at 8:03am
I have that same Finishline gun. I have had really good luck with it. I think you’ll like it. I think it sprays about as well as my Sata.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2022 at 2:38pm

I gave the new spray gun a go this morning and I must say I’m pleased with it. It worked pretty good out of the box with a few adjustments; it came with the 1.3mm setup installed and left it in for painting the hood and tailgate. It has a nice wide, consistent fan and was easy to use. It also came with a 1L cup with a stopper lid which I much prefer over the screw-on lids. The cup is also large enough that I can put my hand inside to clean, which is a nice feature.

I’ve been watching some Youtube videos by “The Gunman” who is a painter in Australia and does a lot of spray gun reviews. He had favorable things to say about this gun and thought it was a good value for the money. I recommend his videos as he’s a production painter and tells it like it is. 

I was a little nervous about the tailgate with all of its raised portions, especially the letters. But this gun let me put the paint on fairly heavy and not run off the letters. I was able to put on a factory finish with an acceptable amount of orange peel- good enough for garage painting.

k
48 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2022 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I was able to put on a factory finish with an acceptable amount of orange peel- good enough for garage painting.

Which much like the complaints of Corvette "restorers" (and others marques as well, to be fair) is perfectly acceptable on these little rigs....a vehicle that is very easy to 'over restore'.

Looks GREAT from my vantage point..Clap

You are doing a fantastic job!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2022 at 7:23pm
Oh man that tailgate picture looks awesome!  I’m saving that!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2022 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I was able to put on a factory finish with an acceptable amount of orange peel- good enough for garage painting.

Which much like the complaints of Corvette "restorers" (and others marques as well, to be fair) is perfectly acceptable on these little rigs....a vehicle that is very easy to 'over restore'.

Looks GREAT from my vantage point..Clap

You are doing a fantastic job!

Thank you; you do raise a good point though. This is not intended to be a car show vehicle, I'm just trying to put shiny paint on it to see if I still can. Wink It was fortunate that both my jeeps still had some original paint to compare with- what I found was fairly flat and shiny, which I think is what consumers would expect (even in the 1940s) on their brand-new vehicle.

Oh man that tailgate picture looks awesome!  I’m saving that!

Thanks! I was sweating painting the tailgate, but I'm happy and relieved with how it turned out. The finish around the letters is dead flat and shiny with no runs! It would have been a huge failure to me if this area turned out really dry & peely that needed to be sanded out and resprayed. 

Edited by otto - 03 Sep. 2022 at 10:45pm
48 CJ2A
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2022 at 8:56pm
nobody likes a show-off RobThumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

nobody likes a show-off RobThumbs Up

Well, I'm only showing off the good stuff LOL
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2022 at 12:20pm
After much finger numbing sanding of the intricate crooks and crevices of the inside and bottom of the tub, I’ve deemed it ready to paint. The plan here is to spray the bottom and the inside of the tub vertically with it on the rotisserie and to flip it once to avoid paint shadows. Going by the runs found in the original paint, this may be how tubs were painted long ago. Then after this sets up a bit, I’ll mask off the inside and bottom and paint the outside of the tub. I contemplated spraying the whole tub on the rotisserie, but it just seems too much to do by myself and keep everything wet. Plus I'm not able to get the front and back of the tub painted very well with the rotisserie attachments in place.

I added another box fan to the exhaust fan bank as it gets a little foggy while spraying in my paint space; we’ll see if it makes an improvement. Going to the paint store now to pick up a couple of quarts of paint.

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>