Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2022 at 10:52pm

This weekend was consumed with sweating the details, getting everything to fit. But before just for fun, I took a buffer to the old paint on one of the doors to try & get a shine out of it. Much to my surprise it shined up a bit. The passenger door and the right hinge pillar got 1 ½” of metal trimmed from the bottom to clear the shovel.

Like most of the jeep, there were more unneeded holes here to weld up that I left the first go around. I thought some of them could be reused, but most of the existing holes didn’t line up anymore so I weldied them closed and started over. Stuff will fit better this way.

I found a new hinge for the doors at the local steel yard. 

The windshield latches were always a mess and were previously bent flat to attach to a flat piece of sheet metal instead of fitting to the round lower tube, so both of these needed a lot of attention. If the windshield would see a lot of up and down action I would just replace them but since that will rarely happen, I straightened them enough to latch. I also felt brave enough to drill holes through the hardtop for the wiper motors. The wipers used to be located below the glass in the sheet metal panel. I never liked this plus it would interfere with the saw storage, so they got put back up on the top of the windshield frame. I’ll have to buy a pair of the electric wiper motors for this new location as the shafts on the old ones are too short now.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2022 at 10:49pm

Last weekend was the Portland Swap Meet and one of the things that came home with me was a High Lift jack. This should be a good addition to the other tools on the jeep and I’ve always wanted to have a versatile jack along. When I got the jeep it had this Dukes of Hazzard style pushbar on the front bumper and looked like a good spot to mount the jack.

Edited by otto - 07 Apr. 2022 at 11:06pm
48 CJ2A
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2022 at 12:16am
Thats really looking nice, are you going to bring that one down for the Spring Fling/
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2022 at 12:44am
  A fella that I used to work for used to say that the Hi-Lift or Handyman jack was so handy and versatile that everyone should have one, but so dangerous that nobody should have one. I have three. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Thats really looking nice, are you going to bring that one down for the Spring Fling/

Ha!, this one won't make the show this go-around. In fact, if it gets paint on it by the end of summer it'll be a minor miracle! I'll just have to rely on the old standby, the blue jeep.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

A fella that I used to work for used to say that the Hi-Lift or Handyman jack was so handy and versatile that everyone should have one, but so dangerous that nobody should have one. I have three. 
BW 

Yes, these things are a fine balance between helpful and hurtful if not used carefully. It reminds me of a saying I remember hearing my dad and grandfather use- "watch yer taters!".
48 CJ2A
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 7:58pm
Hey Otto!  Thanks for posting the link to the saw sharpening info.  I have a couple of 2 man saws that I occasionally would bring to Scout campouts.  My Scouts really got a kick out of using them - they cut amazingly fast.  Your link has exactly the info I needed to adjust the set on the saw teeth.

Your doing a great job on your project - I'm enjoying following along!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Hey Otto!  Thanks for posting the link to the saw sharpening info.  I have a couple of 2 man saws that I occasionally would bring to Scout campouts.  My Scouts really got a kick out of using them - they cut amazingly fast.  Your link has exactly the info I needed to adjust the set on the saw teeth.

Your doing a great job on your project - I'm enjoying following along!

-Barry

I'm glad the saw manual was of use to you, and was curious if anyone had looked it up. I thought it was super helpful and I was surprised at how much there was to sharpening one of those saws. I didn't have some of the 75 year old tools they mention in the guide, so I had to make some of them- like the pin gauge and the spider. 

The end of the road is near for fitting stuff on the jeep. All three doors and the tailgate fit up to the hardtop and operate as they should. 

The driver’s side was looking a little plain so it got a small but important accessory!

There was one thing left to incorporate into the jeep, and that was this center console. It came with the jeep, but was never installed. I don’t know what this came out of, but it has cupholders!

Now with the sheet metal squared away, the paint prep can start once the weather gets a little warmer. It was a pleasant 75F mid-week but now there are snowflakes in the forecast.

Edited by otto - 19 Apr. 2022 at 11:42am
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2022 at 9:28am
Console looks like a CJ7 one.  Willys is looking amazing Rob Clap
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2022 at 9:28am
That console is what came factory in my 76 CJ-7.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2022 at 3:39pm
CJ-7 huh? That’s interesting. Well, at least we’re keeping it in the family. 
48 CJ2A
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2022 at 9:27pm
So I just came in to your build around page 14.
Nice work on the metal forming and such.  It must feel good to be near done with metal working and the fitment of all pieces.   The fitment is one of the aspects of "Sorting" when finalizing a build, pre-paint, and post-paint.   Sorting.

I am currently at the paint stage on a Ford "do-over" refurb, and like you am waiting patiently for schedule and weather to align.
A first for me in 2021 was to have my color paint inserted into an aerosol paint can from Paint Mart.
Geeze _ _ _ _ $30 per can, BUT, _ _ _ no clean-up required.
I found it very good for small pieces, but the cap doesn't have much of a Fan, so more like a firehose.
My guess is the aerosol can will be handy for door jambs and cowls and stuff.

My first '46 cj2a had a very nice metal top, which I pretty much had to give away to get rid of it.
The doors had roll up windows too.

Speaking of your Saw:    my son and I went wheeling a week ago today up south and west of Castle Crags which is south of Mount Shasta, California.   We went in search of Tamarack Lake.
Never found it because of no cell reception and no paper map.   (flat-lander approach).   hahaha
But we enjoyed a full afternoon with weather spitting snow and did have to turn around due to a steep off-camber snow patch.   As we drove over one downed tree, I told my son, I never thought of throwing in the Husky chainsaw.

That cj2a will sure look sharp with a fresh Dupont over-haul !  :)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2022 at 11:30am

Yes Greaser, fitting, sorting, whatever you want to call it- it’s done. Still waiting on a couple of items to drill holes for and test fit before blowing it all apart again to start the meticulous process of paint prep. This is “time to make the doughnuts” work for me as it’s the same process over and over until it’s ready for final finish or I’m truly sick of doing it. I’m pretty much “all or nothing” when it comes to painting and will try to make it look as good as possible when spending this amount of time and money doing it.

The first scratch or dent will likely make me cry, but after that passes it won’t be new anymore and then the jeep will be much more fun after. The same thing happened with the first brand-new dirt bike I bought that I crashed on some wet, mossy pavement and broke some plastic and tore the seat- after that, it got the wheels rode off of it!

Edited by otto - 24 Apr. 2022 at 10:15pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 10:27pm
More packages arrived with parts that needed fitting- this should be the last of it. The windshield wiper motor kits showed up and it took just a little more drilling to install.

I also bought some “racing” style seat belts; they are 3” wide and very stout. Should be cheap insurance should things go awry. The attachment points are backed up with ⅛” plates.

With these items installed, now I can finally blow the body apart and start paint work now that it’s warming up a bit.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:10pm
Started a little paint prep on some parts. I’m working on the front sheet metal as those parts just unbolt and won’t take up a bunch of room. Got the grille and a fender in primer and then started on the hood. The outside of the hood won’t take a lot, but the underside had a lot of coats of old paint. The scar from patching the hood will stay (along with the small dents and shrinks from working it), it’s part of this jeep’s story but the paint under the hood was pretty rough. The original color was OD and then a different shade of green over that. Then a red color followed by the primer I sprayed years ago, then finally the black I used just to match the jeep’s color temporarily.

Couldn't get my DA into the curved part so had to resort to chemically stripping that paint. Hardware store paint stripper is weak sauce!
48 CJ2A
ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 9:34am
great build!
CJ5
CJ2A
/l ,[____],
l---L -OllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 8:37am
I read through some of this today. I was looking at some other website and they talked about using a mig wire that was softer so that after welding, it can be hammered flat. I don't recall what wire I have in my mig, but it's typically harder than whatever steel I am welding. I'd like to hear your comments. I also call everything a a doohicky or whatchamacallit. My wife corrected me after I called the tow bar bumper attaching thing I made a doohicky. She called it a Towhicky, so that's the official term. 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 11:46am
Good question DRM101, I did ask the same thing the last time I had to replace a spool of wire. The guys at the welding store didn't mention options and pointed me to the stack of boxes with wire in them- they were all the same.

MIG wire is fairly malleable in my experience, but you'll have to grind the weld flat like I was harping on in the body shop thread. Grind the weld to the point that it's the same thickness of the sheet metal and you can work it quite easily. Case in point; if you go back a few pages where I installed the tool indents in the tub, a weld passed through the middle of the axe indent. That indent was beat into a hammer form and didn't break. I did try to "hammer weld" the MIG welds when they were red hot and it didn't work like hammer welding TIG and Oxy/Acetylene welds, in fact it didn't work at all.

The previous spool of wire was provided by one of the body shops I was working in long ago; they would generally supply wire and gas if you used your own welder. The new spool behaves in much the same manner as the older wire.

Edited by otto - 27 May 2022 at 11:52am
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>