Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did it all start with you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 6:17am
Sounds like Carl and I are the old-timers here. I was born in 1940 and as he mentioned, during and right after WWII, Jeeps were like an icon. And Jeep toys (and other military things) were pretty popular. When I was about 7, a neighbor on my parents street had a little wood shed, and in the shed was a bandsaw - which I thought was the most amazing tool. One day, he asked if I wanted him to make me something and I said "a Jeep!" So, he picked up a piece of 2"x4" (which then was really two inches by four inches) and in about 20 seconds cut out a Jeep from it. I was amazed. I've loved them ever since. A few weeks back, my 3-year old grandson was with us and he wanted to make something with me in the shop. He wanted a Jeep. So, like the one my neighbor made me 65 years ago, I made him one from a 2" x 4". When I drew the wheels on it (right) he said "those aren't wheels, Popop, they don't turn." So I made him another with wheels that turn (left). Aside from bringing a tear to my eye, I think I planted in my grandson's mind what my neighbor planted in mine. ... R 

Edited by JeepRoger - 15 Apr. 2012 at 6:00am
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 12:29pm
Mine is simple.  I like old vehicles. Found one. Fixed it, let it sit.  I have driven mine 4 blocks since I have had it. Need to get it inside.  Squirrels liked the new upholstered front seats to tear apart for nests.
Ed
cj2a lefty
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 12:53pm
Growing up in Arizona, I remember dad would pile us kids into his '56 CJ-5 and head to the desert just about every weekend. We explored countless trails, old mining camps, ghost towns, and that jeep never failed us. I was always amazed at how effortlessly that cj would tackle the rough stuff.
Well, after aquiring my first vehicle at age 15, ('51 Chevy truck), I used to take it on mild trails using the granny gear, but knew I just had to have 4 wheel drive. After a couple of years of tinkering and installing a V-8 in it, I ended up trading it for a '51 Willys wagon that was, let's just say, WAY BUBBIFIED.
I wheeled the piss out of that old Willys, and after a couple of years sold it and aquired my first CJ.
I've had several since then, but my favorite will always be my 2A. What is it about these little jeeps???
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 12:55pm
Growing up my dad was into dune buggies. Our family would spend a few weekends every summer at Silver Lake Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan. I simply developed a fascination with the Jeeps I saw there. 
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 3:48pm
Hey Damar2yxr

I have that exact book in my nightstand. My dad bought me the book and taught me how to read the old school way (his way bascially). Dont have any Jeep memories other than one of a Willys Pickup truck at the local oval track towing an old (pre-war)coupe stock car. I really love the history and the fact that without this little 1/4 ton truck the USA as we know it today would be radically different than it is today.
Cant say I am hooked but everybody needs a hobby and I am getting too old to keep racing oval track cars. Also the rat rod guys (which I love) is a bit too loud for me. Once I get to drive one of these things on the road I will be able to better judge if I am a real Willys Jeep guy. The jury is out on this one so far.

Thanks for posting this thread.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 4:51pm
I've posted this before in the "Jeep Photos and Stories" forum, but I think it fits here too. One of the experiences that started my jeep burn.

I hope this qualifies as a “Jeep Story”. It’s one of the reasons that I hounded my uncles and cousins to let me have Grampa’s Jeep (see my build thread at http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/grampas-cj2a_topic16836.html ).

Back in the early 70’s, I was on my first deer hunt as a licensed hunter. Dad and I went with Grampa and some of my uncles. Grampa towed the Jeep to the camp site behind his camper. There was lots of snow already that year but it was starting to warm up some so it was a muddy mess.
In the morning we jumped in the jeep to head out to our hunting spot. One of my uncles driving, Grampa in the passenger seat, another uncle and me each on a wheel well, and Dad, sitting on a round five gallon can of gas against the tail gate. We’re on our way up a muddy road when we come up on a big ¾ ton Chevy in the road ahead of us, chains on all four wheels, spinning out, slinging mud, and going nowhere. My uncle just pulled off the road and we put-put-putted right around that rig. I’m not sure that my uncle even put the thing into four wheel drive. I was a pretty impressed 12 year old.
In the meantime, Dad finally noticed that the gas can he was sitting on had no lid, just an old rag stuffed in the hole to keep the gas from splashing. The reason he notice was the gas had wicked up the rag and into his pants. We were just out of sight of that Chevy when he started hollering, jumped out of the Jeep, dropped his pants, and jumped into a snow bank and started scrubbing. I didn’t get a shot at a deer that year, but it was still a memorable hunt.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 6:15pm
It all started for me at the Jeep races in Lisbon, Ohio. I fell in love with the "Little Red Racer"," a CJ3b painted red. The owner was very cool and let me drive his tractor around the race grounds and mow some grass with it. I also read "The year of the Jeep," why have they never made a movie? Anyway, flash forward many, many years and I found my 3b as a plow vehicle at a body shop. Bought it, spent 2 years plus restoring it. The results can be seen on the front of the current 4WD hardware vintage catalog, and in the 2013 "7 slot classics" jeep calendar!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 7:24pm
I probably have the most mundane story here. So, my brother calls me up on the phone to tell me to meet him at the Rossi house telling me he has a surprise waiting for me. I hop on my bike, pedal down the 8 blocks to my grandparent's flowershop and there on a trailer sits a CJ-2A. I had never seen any vehicle like it, but I knew it was old. That was all two years ago, as soon as we started to disasemble the jeep I just could not stay away from it.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 7:34pm

In my story, I'm older than many of you when I caught the bug.  An old guy that lived next door to me in 1990 had an old Jeep he would use for hunting.  It almost never moved from its parking spot. I really like it.  I asked him to sell it to me numerous times.  He always refused.  I liked that Jeep...but he loved it.

I moved away and lost touch, until recently.

He is still alive...and 22 years older.  I visited him this past fall, and there it was, still sitting in the same spot.  I took a picture.

We talked about it for a while.  I told him I had finally bought an old CJ3A because he wouldn't sell his Jeep. 

He can't drive his anymore.  He doesn't have the leg strength.  I know that kills him.  I offered to buy it from him...he refused.  And so, it sits...right outside of his living room picture window.

Tim
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 8:02pm
Yard farming and hunting rabbits off the hood.  I learned to drive in an MB and 67 camaro both 3 speeds.  The low end climbing power of the Go Devil motor is what hooked me.  While yard farming in about 2-3 feet of snow we went through a yard and hit a 4-5 inch pine that brought the front end up in the air about 4 ft we just put in reverse and backed out and got away.  But in a small town we were the only ones on the road that night and thus got caught.  Come spring we were loaned out to buck hay for our felonious act.  We used to pull people out of ditches as well (good samariton learned from previous act).  Unfortunatly while we we out making first tracks in the snow we came back around and people had follwed our tracks into the ditch.  I have a 46 CJ2A that I am fixing to be a driver might resore later on when I have a decent place to work on it.  My wife and I share the garage her and I 1960 chevy 3/4 ton stepside long bed restored and my Willys.  One or the other has to come out when work is performed. 
1946 CJ2A #72643

mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2012 at 8:14pm
HOW DOES IT START> i want to know how to stop it .drug a 48 illys truck home today . Thats 8 in the yard now. truck has 25800 miles on it  . 4wd  column shift . last driven in 1980 then parked until today when I brought it home . L front wheel locked op  but motor is free
mogger7
mogger7
Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2012 at 8:06pm
I'm with Rich (Mogger7) but I have found the cure for this disease. Have no excess funds and two kids in college!

I started my journey back in 1974 with $400 dollars burning a big hole in my pocket, an empty car- hauling trailer, no high school girlfriend, plenty of free time, no concept of automotive repairs/restoration and the magic phrase springing from my stepfather's mouth, "Do you want to go look at an old Jeep setting in a barn somewhere in the corn fields of Indiana?"

I enjoy reading, I really do, but I did not need "no book learn'in" to tell me I was smitten at first sight.  As soon as we rolled one door back on that old field barn, caught first sight of that dust-covered Harvard Red '46 2a sitting there, I knew I would have to become mechanic and work a third part time job to survive.   I never even opened the hood on this Jeep.  I just started filling the low tires with air, pushed the Jeep out of the barn, into the daylight, down the ramp and up onto our trailer.  Being pumped up  so very high with excitement, that only a male teenager can muster, I knew I could have pushed that barn off it's foundation if that would have stood between me and the ownership of that Jeep.  Here was my very first automobile, a very simplistic one at that.  I had instant day-dreams, all of which revolved around me with the windshield down"cruising" my small town that summer looking for a girlfriend!  In my state of mind, all the Jeep needed was a little work, that's it.

I was putting the chain binders on when my Step-father walked up grinning ear to ear and laughing as the said, " Maybe you should talk price, offer to pay them before you leave here with their Jeep on our trailer, and not forget a title to boot?" I got my wallet out of my pants pocket and paid the owner the full asking price.  I had no choice in this matter, the 2a was in full control of my negotiating skills, "SOLD"was written on my forehead and "Jeep" already coded into my DNA. 

My Mom and Step-father knew I was in for a major life lesson ahead.  They just did not know, as I did not either, how long this lesson would continue to give, evolve and to teach me about dreams and life.

Yes, I did remember the title.  The first Jeep lesson taught that day was that you take a good hard look around into all the dark corners of a barn for the one piece that was missing from the complete set of framework for an original bow top !  Ignorance was truly bliss. 

Joel
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2012 at 1:08am
Holy Toledo--- YOU are the kid written about in the book.Thumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
dodge42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodge42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2012 at 1:29am
It started with TV for me-first, "Nellybelle" on 'Roy Rogers', and then the 'Rat Patrol'. I just always wanted a Jeep since then. It wasn't until about 1995 until I got an MB,though. I restored that rusty old junker until it looked like the day it rolled out of Willys Overland, and kept it for about 10 years. I got involved with other things, and sold it to a young Army soldier . Just about as soon as I watched it drive out of sight, I missed having a jeep, and found a '46 CJ2A on CL about 3 miles from my house.LOL
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2012 at 12:58pm
It started with TV for me-first, "Nellybelle" on 'Roy Rogers', and then the 'Rat Patrol'. I just always wanted a Jeep since then.

X2!!!!!!
Boy, did I wear out a bunch of knees in jeans shoving my toy Jeep around watching those shows!
Wink
LOL
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2012 at 2:58pm
Rat Patrol! now theres some memories. probably why i thought grandads jeep was so cool.

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
OldSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2012 at 5:52pm
In my earliest memories my dads everyday vehicle was a jeep.  We lived in Brownsville, Tx. and spent nearly every weekend in the summers staying in a beach house behind the dunes on Boca Chica beach near the mouth of the Rio Grande river.  The jeep was the only way to get to the house.  Somewhere in old photos there is a pic of me when I was about 6 years old, sitting behind the wheel of that jeep parked on the side of a sand dune.  When I was 12 that house burned down and about the same time dad got an old scout, but we still had beach trips. 

Then when I was in high school he bought another jeep from the Civil Air Patrol.  An M-38.  It needed work so he bought another M-38 for parts.  I made a project of moving the good body on one to the good engine/frame on the other.  40 years later I still have that jeep. 

As teenagers my siblings and I spent many hours playing on the beach with that jeep.  I'm amazed that it didn't rust down into a lump, although we used to spray the underside with used engine oil as an undercoating.  Maybe that helped?  Maybe the thick layers of paint on it has helped too?  I know I've put at least 4 layers of paint on it myself over the years.  Nothing real pretty.  One of those was left over epoxy paint from painting dads chevron service station.  It is a more appropriate color now. 

I didn't ever really get into the history of the jeeps and restoring them until about 3 years ago when my brother got his jeep and we began restoring it.  Since then I've learned a lot, mostly from these forums.  I now have another jeep.  A 52 M38A1 that I have torn down to the frame and I'm restoring it.  When I finish it I plan on taking my old faithful jeep apart and restoring it. 

Mechanically it has been very solid all these years.  I have had to do normal maintenance on it though.  Water pump, steering knuckles, u-joints.  Stuff like that.  I'm sure that I'll find more holes than I want to under all that paint.  I know the floor of the tool box is getting some holes in it.   There are some small holes around the rear corners and on the sides too.  Nothing too serious yet, though.  I'd really like to get it fixed up before it gets too serious.  I'm having to replace floors on the A1 I'm working on and I don't want to let Old Faithful get that bad. 

combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 5:49am
My Mother..... She was a young beautiful 18 year old during WW2. She was a singer in a three girl group singing songs like " Boogie woogie Bugle boy of company B" She always thought that those young good looking GI's driving around in their JEEPs where sooooooo. cute. Any way, she got married to my dad and had two girls and then in 1952 me, her first son. She bought me a toy jeep and kept it in my crib. Then proceeded to buy me toy jeeps as I grew up. Any thing with four wheels was a JEEP, So as when I turned 15 and had earned money enough for my own first car , I told my dad I wanted a ww2 army jeep. He knew exactly what that was and so offered to help me locate one. And after over a year of looking at all kinds of 2 and 3a's and m38's we came across a 1943 GPW and that was it . I swung a deal for it and it was mine. I fixed it up and drove it all through high school and continued to work on it and planned on a total restoration someday. I have had that jeep for about 44 years now and it is now totally restored and I drive it frequently . My wife had a 1950 3a when I met her and we drove it through our collage years. I have owned and still do own many jeeps. All six of my children's first cars were jeeps. We have built rock crawlers for Moab and the Rubicon as well as restored some to original. I was born into this old love affair with jeeps and I just can"t seem to shake it. I guess its in my blood. Now, I am more interested in restoring the old iron and driving them in the hills and taking my grand kids for rides. Passing on down the Heritage.Smile
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>