Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Grill Identification and Parking light question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grill Identification and Parking light question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grill Identification and Parking light question
    Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 1:14pm
I think I've realized that the grill on my 47 CJ2A actually came off a CJ3B jeep.  I've already painted it at this point, so I'm not going to change it out, but I would like to have a confirmation that my thinking is correct.  There is no ID number on my frame and the tub number on the tail gate and the horn is 46819 if that helps at all.  My engine is an industrial unit.

My main question is how to make the parking lights also act as signal lights.  The Walck's wiring harness has two wires leading up to the parking lights, but the actual light has only one wire coming out it.  It seems like I could just add a terminal bar so that the two feeds would connect to a splitter off of the light.  Does this make sense or am I'm missing something?  Thanks for your help!

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in awhile!
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 1:35pm
If it was a 3B grille, then your hood wouldn't close right. Wink They are 4" taller. That grille is correct for a low hood flatty.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Hokie Jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 1:45pm
Right - I didn't think about that.  It seems like most of the parking lights on the pictures of CJ2A's have a different type of parking light that doesn't sit recessed back into the grill but actually mounts on the grill.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Hokie Jeep Hokie Jeep wrote:

...  It seems like most of the parking lights on the pictures of CJ2A's have a different type of parking light that doesn't sit recessed back into the grill but actually mounts on the grill.
Most, but not all.  Your grille is early CJ-2A, correct for your tub numbers.

Read the "modifications" forum, where others have added turn signals.

Sean
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 2:32pm
Those parking lights are the earlier bullet style lights that were a holdover from the WWII jeep. (At least the case was.)  THey are correct up to mid 47 sometime. The lenses are sorta rare. Treat them with care.

THey are pretty small to adapt to a dual filament bulb. Either use the parking light wire and have parking lights, or the turn signal wire and have turn signals. You can put another small LED light somewhere else for the second function.

Some folks have sucessfully rewired the bullet lights for a pair of LED's, one for park and one for turn. Others have used a diode /relay in the circuit to do both jobs with one filament. Do a search for bullet light turn signal here on the board, and possibly on some other jeep sites there may have been a writeup about it.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2012 at 11:12pm
46819 is a 46, you sure there isn't a 1 in front of that?

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 12:40am
Keep in mind that, while in most states we are not required to have some things that are required on newer cars ( turn signals, seat belts, etc. ), also in some states we ARE required to have the equipment that the vehicle was manufactured with. This would include parking lights. BW.
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Keep in mind that, while in most states we are not required to have some things that are required on newer cars ( turn signals, seat belts, etc. ), also in some states we ARE required to have the equipment that the vehicle was manufactured with. This would include parking lights. BW.

But Bruce, they still work...see ????Look, they're on.....and off, and on, .....Put them on Hazards and they might look like parking lights for a second.......LOLBig smileWink
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 7:39am
Yep - no, yep - no, yep - no,,,        BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 9:13pm
There was no one in front of the number because I took it off of both the tail gate and the horn.  There was another number that made me think it may have been a 46, it may have been the ID# on the vehicle registeration. Could it be that it was a late 46 and just registered in 47.  Like I indicated earlier, the engine is an industrial model so I can't use that.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 9:40pm

There was no one in front of the number because I took it off of both the tail gate and the horn.  There was another number that made me think it may have been a 46, it may have been the ID# on the vehicle registeration. Could it be that it was a late 46 and just registered in 47.  Like I indicated earlier, the engine is an industrial model so I can't use that.

Fairly common occurrence, back then the when it was sold was more important than the model year. I remember reading a Willys bulletin that said any unsold units should be sold as the next model year. (48 - 49 I think) LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2012 at 9:55pm
This all brings out the detective in me who wants to know what I actually have.  I had basically given up since there was no ID on the frame either. I'm really appreciative and constantly amazed at the information and insight that is available through this site.  Thanks for everyone's help!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2012 at 2:26pm

This all brings out the detective in me who wants to know what I actually have.
Tub & tailgate (ACM #46819) are certainly 1946.  Post more photos, look for other clues:

Post Reply Post Reply