Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets build a trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets build a trailer
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2012 at 10:07pm
I have to haul my CJ most everywhere that I want to take it when I'm looking for trail rides, just nothing close to home.  I want to build a trailer to do that, and I'd like your input.  If you could build the absolute best trailer for hauling your jeep, what would it look like?  The trailer should be usable for light utility work around the house as well, but that is a secondary consideration.  The only other must have is brakes, electric or hydraulic, your choice.  What would you build?
Todd

Edited by Gunslinger - 23 Apr. 2012 at 10:08pm
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2012 at 10:50pm
Dual torsion axles and no longer than needed to haul a full sized Jeep.  My dual axle 20' bumper pull trailer is just too much trailer for hauling a CJ.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
wrdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2012 at 10:57pm
What are you pulling it with?
TnFFC facebook page
President, TnFFC
Tennesseeflatfenderclub@yahoo.com
'47 T3-C # 23839
'48 CJ2A Body tag # 20xx52
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2012 at 11:13pm
I once rented a trailer from U-Haul and found it to be a very good general purpose trailer.  It had:  Duak axles, Hydraulic brakes (which allowed brakes regardless of what was pulling, handy around the farm), Tilt bed, Drop ramps on both ends, Dual winches, 6' X 12' inside and 33" OAH, about 8" grd. clearance and all Steel.  After many years I found one at a scrap dealer.  It works very well in hauling a jeep and most other chores.  I just hauled a 8' X 12' out building for a friend on top of the side rails.  I had to rebuild:

U-Haul still rents these, although updated, this is a very old model.

Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2012 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

Dual torsion axles and no longer than needed to haul a full sized Jeep.  My dual axle 20' bumper pull trailer is just too much trailer for hauling a CJ.

But just right to haul 2 jeeps!Big smile
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2012 at 1:40am
Here's an older thread with a number of opinions:  Jeep-Hauling Trailer Advice

I'm with ralf on this topic -  the size should be just large enough to fit the Jeep. 

My first trailer was a 7 by 16 foot, tandem axle, flatbed with surge brakes (hydraulic).  I really like the surge brakes - don't need a brake controller on the tow vehicle.  Also, I would not want anything other than tandem axles - not for the capacity but just as a little insurance against a blowout.  Beyond that, I found that the trailer was longer than needed and somewhat wider.  After hauling the Jeep long distances in the rain and living with damp seats, and having some concern about someone pilfering stuff from the Jeep when it was parked over night, I thought it would be nice to have an enclosed trailer.  Also, even though my truck is rated to tow 10,500 lbs, lighter is better than heavier.  After Westforkboyd bought his 6 by 14 foot Featherlite, all-aluminum trailer, I lusted after something similar.  I recently pulled the trigger on the same model (Featherlite 1610) he bought except mine is 6 by 12.  It has torsion axles and, of course, a ramp door.  The only thing that I would change is that I'd have the surge brakes again, but I will live with the electric brakes.  The other thing that would be useful is a backup camera on the trailer.  I'm looking into how to adapt one, but have not conquered that yet.  So, that is pretty close to my ideal trailer to haul a CJ-2A.  

One other thought:  If you go for a flatbed trailer, consider using aluminum ramps.  The steel ramps on my flatbed had been heavied up with some diamond plate.  Those were a bear to load and unload so I bought a pair of aluminum ramps that, unfortunately I had to keep in the bed of my truck because they were slightly too wide to be carried on the trailer in place of the steel ramps.   I suppose the other thing you could do is have hinged ramps on the back of a flatbed.  They could be nice and stout, but you'd never have to do anything other than fold than down and up.

For a time, I thought about building my own enclosed trailer, but I would have made the frame out of steel just because, although I have experience welding aluminum, I thought that I was much less likely to ruin or weaken an important structural piece if I were working with steel.  Also, I'd have to do most of the work outside over an extended period of time so I wimped out and bought a new one. 

So, my recommendation for making either an open or an enclosed trailer would be 6 by 12, tandem torsion axles, with hydraulic surge brakes.  One other thing that I contemplated was making a flatbed trailer that was convertible to being enclosed.  That would give you the best of both worlds if you decided you wanted to haul something larger than a flat fender Jeep.  In my case, I was thinking of that because I already had a flatbed trailer, but really wanted an enclosed trailer.

Edit:   After re-reading johnnybravo's post, I realized that having a winch is potentially useful if you are unable to drive a vehicle on the trailer for whatever reason.  My flatbed was adapted to be fitted with a portable electric winch that has extra long battery cables on it.  I've never had to use it, but I can certainly see the utility so I'd add that feature to the ideal trailer.  I will probably eventually fit it to the enclosed trailer, but as with so many other ideas, it's not a high priority.  Saying that almost surely means I'll need it before I find my 'round tuit. Embarrassed

Edited by samcj2a - 24 Apr. 2012 at 1:49am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2012 at 2:15am
Actually I have a small Warn electric winch that mounts in a receiver welded to the front lip of my 20' trailer bed.  I have used it a lot and power it with a battery mounted on the tongue in a box I built as a project with my then new metal brake.  The battery also runs the electric jack.  I drag a trailer several times a month and the electric jack is a back saver.  If you make the trailer low enough, you dont need ramps to load a Jeep.  You can also unhook the trailer from tow vehicle and crank the jack to full extension to allow the Jeep to be driven on without ramps.

A winch is essential when going to get a "ran when parked" Jeep.LOL
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2012 at 4:04am
These are great ideas, keep them coming.  WRdabny asked what I'm pulling it with, its a 2012 Chevy Silverado crew, has electric brakes on the truck 5.3 liter with 6 speed tranny.

Would you put a beaver tail on the trailer?
What size wheels, 14, 15, 16?
Torsion axles or off set leaf spring style?

Todd
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2012 at 4:23am
Check your local Uhaul for used trailers...they come up quite often altho they do not give them away.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2012 at 1:18am
I would go with 15" wheels, would seem to be the easiest to find used along the road if you need one. If the trailer and truck used the same bolt pattern & offset, the trailer could be built to use the pickup's spare if needed.
While the torsion axles make for a lower deck & easier loading, I sometimes do some "almost" 4-wheeling to get to my campsite and need the clearance provided by leaf springs' extra height.
I am in the process of modifying a 14X7 enclosed trailer for a combination Jeep Hauler / Camper. Would like to post some pics when I can.
The flatbed trailer I'm currently using is 16' long, more than enough for the jeep, but I have a pickup tool box bolted to the deck at the front, it's good storage for chains & binders or straps or whatever, as well as other items. I left the box back from the front rail on the trailer far enough to make a place to haul Jerry cans.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2012 at 3:31am
   I am planning to build a one Jeep trailer in the next year or two. I have a 20' tandem w/4'beavertail that hauls 2 flatfenders great but just to big for one rig. Here's what I had in mind, 12' w/beavertail, tandem axels with 15" tires and electric brakes. I have not decided on how wide yet.   Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
OldSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2012 at 4:21am
My brother has what I consider the best jeep trailer possible.  It takes seconds to load and be headed down the road.  Put the jeep in 4 low and drive on.  Flip the safety chains over the springs and you're done.  It tows very easily. 

I have more pics and drawings of it over in the Mjeeps forum.  My photo album is on page 8 of the member albums. 

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album55&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2012 at 1:43pm
I have given some thought to this trailer.  I love them aluminum trailers at 510 lbs as I get older.

I have thought of having one custom made but don't have the time right now.   This is only a singe axle but adding a second axle with brakes should be bolt on process later if I decide to.

Here is a price, not cheap, but I am still in day dreaming stage.  If you delete the tail gate I think that saves about $150.

Edited by willys54wagon - 25 Apr. 2012 at 1:44pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2012 at 12:02am
Here's Dennisanvil's trailer....

Some famous hammer collector driving the custom jeep on it. WinkLOL

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2012 at 1:58pm
Gunslinger, before you build a trailer look around your area for a used 7'x14' utility trailer. Try to find one with electric brakes on both axles and you should have two axles for safety. I found one reasonably priced and could not have built it for what I paid. Here is a photo of my rig in Moab Utah.

Life is only as good as you make it.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Here's Dennisanvil's trailer....

Some famous hammer collector driving the custom jeep on it. WinkLOL
thanks fbill for posting the picture of my trailer. this trailer is a PJ made in tx,with dual axle/with electric brakes. 3000 pd winch,6x12 and steel ramps that ride under the trailer. i couldnt have build it for what i paid for it new. i made new lighter steel ramps. this trailer pull like a dream. also this fbill camera work.
dennisBeerBeer
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
bwtufts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwtufts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2012 at 2:10am
This is a trailer that dad and I built for one of his dwarf cars. It's lightweight and very easy to move with one person. It's a tilt loader and was designed to tilt back up slowly as you loaded the car. It's only one axle, but it pulls as good or better than any two axle trailer. If you cut a notch in the exact center of the axle the width of a chop saw blade and then weld it back together you'll create tow-in on the axle between (1/16 to 1/8, just like the front end of a car) and it will pull just as true as any dual axle set up. I've pulled that thing doing 90 on the way back from a race and it tracked fine. Sorry for the poor pictures, never really took pictures of it specifically.

Dad pulls it with his 4 cyl S-10 and it works good, but the dwarf car weighs in at about 1400 lbs. If you beefed up the basic design of this for a Jeep, it would be perfect.

(Don't mind the old fat guys in the background LOL)

Brad
GySgt USMC
1951 CJ-3A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2012 at 2:28am
Looks sorta like mine.....jeep has no engine in pic, but towed from Colorado to Texas no problemo.

I prefer my double axle 16 footer if MPG is not a concern tho...

No that is not me, it is the former owner of the Katrina Surrey.

And here's my version of a two jeep trailer...

Notice lack of deck for lightening purposes. (The boards had all rotted in NY, so there was wood under the tires only)And yes, those are mobile home axles with lowboy trailer tires, not the best tires for wear. I saw noticeable wear driving from NY to TX. Trailer has brakes, one axle at the moment altho both are setup for them.

Edited by F Bill - 29 Apr. 2012 at 1:32am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>