Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 18 output shaft pilot bushing install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VashonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 18 output shaft pilot bushing install
    Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:27pm
I'm trying to change the output shaft pilot bushing as part of a Dana Spicer 18 rebuild.  I have been beating the crap out of the bushing trying to get it in.  I have a board over it, and i'm hitting that with a hammer.  It's gone about half way in, and it isn't moving anymore.  Is it typical for it to be really hard to get one of those in?
Does anyone have a trick?
Thanks
Mike
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:43pm
Careful with the beating, it may mushroom. Did you try heating the output shaft by boiling it in a plastic bag and freezing the pilot bushing. Grease the outside of the bushing and push it in quickly before the heat transfers. You might also want to freeze the output clutch that rides in the bushing and use it as a mandrel to push the bushing in place.
BOULDER 48 2A
VashonMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VashonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:00am
Thanks Terry.  that sounds like a great idea.  It's definitly to late for that with this bushing.  If i destroy it, ill buy a new one and use your method.

-Mike
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 2:08pm
Since I'm getting ready to do the same thing, how did you get the old bushing out?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 3:18pm
If it's an aftermarket bushing it may be oversize for the hole. When it's installed the hole in the bushing may have to be reamed for the correct clearance. 

The aftermarket pilot bushing that goes in the flywheel is also a problem. The OD is to big and the ID is to small. 

If you can find a NOS bushing for the output shaft buy it. Otherwise you will have to measure the bore in the output shaft and measure the OD of the bushing. The bushing should have about .001" press fit. That means the bushing should only be .001" bigger than the bore in the shaft. You should also have about .001"-.0015" clearance for the shaft that fits into the bushing.

Also, you need to use a bushing driver, not a piece of wood. The wood gives and acts like a spring unless it is a very hard wood. Wood doesn't make a good bushing driver.

Aftermarket parts for the engine and transmission is a crap shoot at best. 

Edited by Carlsjeep - 13 May 2012 at 3:19pm
Life is only as good as you make it.
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:51am
i had to take cutting wheel and remove a tiny bit of material out of the "slot" in bushing to allow it to be installed. then you need a 5/8ths or .625 ream to make the id right. all three of the aftermarket ones i have installed have been like this. EDIT if you cut it be absolutely sure to file any and all burrs off before installation. if you have a set of mics could you get both measurements on yours before you install it please. i want to find a bearing to replace this bushing with if possible.

Rick

to remove the old one i had to use a hacksaw blade and cut across from the "slot" and remove in two peices. patience is a must here. my blind pilot puller is not long enough to reach behind the bushing.

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 14 May 2012 at 3:54am
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
 Post Reply Post Reply