Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carb base gasket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2021 at 5:51pm
jluttyCJ2A,

Did a quick search on another web site.

This is the gasket I use on my 45 2A. But a while ago, there was some issue about the copper "ring" on each side of the gasket not compressing enough and causing a leak. 

However, my 70 plus year old what is left of brain may not have this remembered this correctly.

Frank

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2021 at 9:19pm
Frank your brain is fine. At least in this area it is! I can not say about the rest.

Those copper rings need to be pre-crushed before installation. Otherwise they do not crush enough & they hold the carburetor off of the gasket material which causes a major air leak. BTDT.
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2021 at 1:11pm
Cpt logger,

Thanks for the positive vibes. Now I let my immediate supervisor know that at least part of me is okay.

Frank
JluttyCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JluttyCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2021 at 11:34pm
Dumb question, but is the gasket the same regardless of Solex or W-? 
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2021 at 8:24am
I think I read somewhere that when the L engines were originally designed, poor quality gas was often the case, hence the low compression. It has also been my understanding that the engineers of these jeep engines and others of the period, wanted the air/fuel mix hot so the gas remained a fine vapor all the way to the combustion chamber for easier ignition. Evidence, of course, is the "flapper" between intake and exhaust manifold. It works but you don't need the carb hot.

As for the carb gasket, it makes sense to me that a thicker unit would insulate better than a thin one and there are other ways to enhance its effectiveness. Hot rodders back in the day used to sandwich a piece of aluminum plate between the carb and manifold. Also, plastic carb spacers under the base are good at blocking some heat from migrating up to the carb. 

All that said, my engine had a thin gasket when I bought it. I changed it to the proper thick unit with the metal thingy... couldn't tell any difference. LOL
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123