Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 46 CJ2A restoration (45150)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 46 CJ2A restoration (45150)
    Posted: 03 June 2012 at 2:47am
I am new to the CJ2A page and thought it was time that I got my story and photos up.

I got my 1946 CJ2A in august of 2011 at an auction 30 miles north of the family farm. It was the original owner who was having the auction. The original owner said that the only things that had been done to it was your standard maintenance over the years. So we bought the jeep and brought it back home and enjoyed driving it around the farm and country side for the rest of the fall. Then when it started to get cold out we started to take her apart for her total restoration back to original.

The fallowing are some pictures of her before and during the restoration.

As I do more work I will post more pictures. Or if anyone would like to see some other angles I will try to get them up if I have them.

46 CJ2A (45150) - "My Other Girl"
48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
And a bunch of Farmall tractors.
PlacerWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlacerWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 2:52am
Wow your starting with a Gem compared to some....mine included !  Wink

Lookin Great so far ! Clap
~~~~~~~~~
Will
1947 CJ2a 111xxx
1947 CJ2a 88xxx(parts donor)
dano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 4:31am
You certainly a good one there. Have fun with the restoration.

I like the Green Grass pictures in ND in the late fall, I don't remember very many easy winters in the 10 yrs I lived in Grand Forks. I went to UND and my wife is from Bismarck. 

Dan

Dano-'48 CJ2A
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 2:37pm
Very nice Jeep to start with, good luck, and enjoy.
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
hawkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 3:08pm
That is every nice cj
cj2a 1948 155822 v6 sold

cj3a 1950 3J45548 4L MB
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 7:30pm
Thanks for all the great comments she is fun to dig into and and work on.
48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
dschroff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschroff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 7:36pm
Wow... great looking jeep!  Please post pictures as you go, and welcome to the CJ2A page.  You will learn everything you need to know here.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 8:03pm
Great wheels!  Hope ya don't blast them.
PlacerWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlacerWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Great wheels!  Hope ya don't blast them.
Man I was thinking that same thing when I saw those Beauties Shocked

~~~~~~~~~
Will
1947 CJ2a 111xxx
1947 CJ2a 88xxx(parts donor)
RDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:24pm
Hi , a very nice jeep , take time and care to have  a very good result .
Richard   Wink
Rj
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 2:36pm
Jordan:

While you've got it all apart, I hope you can get all the info for our database:

Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 2:51pm
are they chrome bezels?

what a nice piece! seems you could buff it up and get a great example of harvest tan to match.
whats the engine s/n? looks replaced.
congrats that is a very nice score.

Rick

second the sentiment on the wheels!

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 06 June 2012 at 2:53pm
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:20pm
Beautiful jeep! I'm really taken with the original condition, its got character and looks fresh and capable, despite its age.
Pity you can't lift the tub, do the frame and the mechanicals and put the tub and wheels back with their original patina.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:12pm
Nice  Jeep !!! I'd probably have left one in that good of shape aloneSmile. The bondo weilding bandits with ball peen hammers did a rustoration on mine 35 yrs agoCry. Where in N.D. are you ? We're heading up to Stanley to the farm in July P.M. me if you'd like to drink a beer and talk about old Willys Jeeps.
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:26am

Sean - Once I compile all the numbers I was planning on putting all the info on the database.

Harveynailbanger - Yes those are chrome bezels. When I get the motor back from the shop I will get the # off it, but what makes you think it had been replaced? And I did buff up the paint on the inside of lid of the tool box. It was the best looking unweathered paint on the whole jeep.

Then I took DuPont's cromavision camera to get the paint code. After you calibrate the camera. It takes 3 pictures averages them and gives me the exact code that matches the color of the paint. You then upload the data from camera to the paint mixing  computer it shows you the pictures it took and what it decided was the best match. if you agree with it you then continue to mix the paint. (we use it on every new car along with the paint code, and old car that comes into the shop, along with whatever we need to get a match of paint on but do not have a code for). It is very very accurate.

And I liked the fact that the paint had a nice patina to it. But she did have some rust in the typical spots. And granted it was very little rust for a 66 year old jeep. But the only way to stop rust from growing down the road is to stop it now. So I had to get down to the bear metal use some metal conditioner on it, or cut out the bad spots and replace it. So now that this Willys is in my life I never plan on selling it and want to keep it in the family for at least another 66 years. That is why I decided to go through with the complete frame off, back to original restoration. So It will not have to be done later on down the road.

Thanks again on all the positive comments. And will continue to post pictures of the progress as I continue on with the restoration.

48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by the 46 the 46 wrote:

Sean - Once I compile all the numbers I was planning on putting all the info on the database.
Awesome!  Thanks Jordan.
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 5:36am
Did some work on the axles this weekend. Took them all the way apart so I can get them off to go to powder coating along with some other parts. But I did find a very minor thing in the rear axle, a bolt came loose and then off at some point and was rolling around for a bit. It did not hurt anything thankfully just some minor marring.

The front axle.

The rear axle.

How or when this came off I do not know.

All that was left of the bolt was small metal shards. So I think it was in there for awhile. But it did not do anything to any of splines on the gears. So I dodged a bullet in the end.

48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2012 at 2:12am
Just an update no pics this time. 

So far this weekend spent some time with a body hammer in one hand and dolly in the other doing some metal work on the tub. (working out the small dents and waves) Going to continue it tomorrow as well, and I might work on some patch panels on the floor.   
48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>