Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 willys pickup project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1951 willys pickup project
    Posted: 16 June 2012 at 5:08am
ok heres the back story, in 1990 there was a farmers estate auction. A guy in woodland wisconsin went and bought a 1951 willys pickup that ran and drove and had a plow. He then noticed that valve #4 leaked so he took out the engine, then decided to take off more and more and more and more until he had pieces and no truck. He said that he was going to restore it to perfection, unfortuantely the frame had a chunk rotted out it looked like hell, he hit a dead end and his job moved him around twice. he brought the pieces with him each time and after 20 years he decided it was time to sell his truck partly because his dad and brother died leaving him a 1955 chevy that was in the family from new. Well being 18 and needed a car, loving trucks i tried to get a F-350 a cheapy junker to drive. Mom shot it down like a jap zero, however our 2a has been in the family for a long time, my grandpa bought it, last year gave it to dad (his son who did all the work on it) and I've always helped dad you know hold the flash light when young to now doing the majority of the repairs while he just drives it. So knowing that mom thought a project would be a good idea. well i bought the truck, having seen that different  chunks of truck were missing and some stored poorly, frame, axles both stored out side in wisconsin for those long years. So i picked it up and for the last few weeks have been doing work on it. First was finding a frame i purchased two with different damage out of wausau and am currently having a shop fix them into one good frame. I have no idea what the bill is yet so i hope its a good deal, I've pulled the engine apart, washed and painted parts of it and found that the rear timken had some broken parts. Luckly my extra frames came with some of the missing parts and a new good timken. pictures to come soon, the idea is to make a truck i can drive in winter, store at my cabin and use the original parts however some changes will be made. 12v, for a radio and a better heater, and keeping the truck looking original form the outside and the inside not bad. an original mod,but not lift kit, no giant tires, and no chevy small block. 

Edited by Schimms15 - 10 Apr. 2013 at 11:30pm
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 9:13pm
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 9:16pm
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 9:20pm
ok so i pulled the trans and transfer case off the engine, I'm waiting to install new gaskets on the transfer case however i painted both. axles I've pulled hubs and the rear is unfortuantely broken, a tooth has a big chip out of it. the frame damage got worse over the years and its at a pro shop to fix it, i cannot weld it to the point where i think it would be safe, so i had to bring in the pros. engine I've pulled the head and exhaust manifold, now I'm going to slowly paint and set aside everything until i either rebuild the block or slap it all back together.  
46 2a
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 11:04pm

Hey Luke, keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 4:35am
tonight i cleaned and tested the starter, it turns strong, but no load test. i also got my rear axle springs off one of the timkens, one of the packs "blew up" as i unbolted it and the other is rough at best, rust over the years has gotten between the springs and popped them out. a bunch of leafs broke on the one side. the good news is i have a spare old set that looks to be in better condition, tomorrow i will take them off, i will also pull all the hubs and assemble my brake parts to see what i have good and what i need new of. 
46 2a
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 12:19pm
Fun, fun. What's nuts is they are rated for 1 ton. They ride like it too!Dead Been thinking about a set of the wagon 1/2 ton springs.  The track is another issue. The rear is wider than the front. They don't do as well in snow as trucks that have the same track. They sure look cool though. I'm almost back to phase 3 in my '53. A phase is each time you think you are ready or done and go for a driveLOL. The better a mechanic you are, the less phases you will have. Good to see another being saved, John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:54pm
well today i got another axle torn apart, its getting so freaking hot to work outside but hopefully ill be done with the rear axle soon, the fronts i haven't even touched yet. going to the frame shop in the morning to see what kind of price he's thinking of and if i will be able to continue. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 4:35am
ok it got dark and the temp dropped, working outside in the dark sucks but i got one good axle put together, tomorrow ill do the brakes and start working on the parking brake, and also i need to pull the front and replace a seal still. however if anyone is interested pm me about timken parts I've got a really nice one with no real big pitting on it and it has everything except the pinion gear is broken, however the main drive gear and bearings are great and the axle shafts look like new.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 5:09am
time to dig the front axle out of the pile of parts in the garage. met with the frame guy today, they are welding 3 frames to make one good one. the engine still has the problems stated earlier but i think I'm going to run it for a year to two then rebuild it. I've got 2 front axles but i do not know if they match being either 25's or a 27 and 25. my rears were all timkens and i believe they are all 5.38 gear ratio. tomorrow the danas will be on there way to making one good axle. also tonight i got my parking brake moving again, its soaking In pb blaster until it gets a little better. the one side is having trouble pushing itself back out however i think the brakes return springs will work on that fine. tomorrow will hopefully be cooler and i can get some serious work done. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2012 at 5:02am
got the rear axle wire wheeled up tonight and the bell housing all painted up. starting to wire wheel the springs. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 6:32am
ok so the update, engine has been cleaned for the most part and is ready for paint. carb has been disassembled cleaned, and reassembled. driveshaft painted. now the brakes are all put on and the parking brake hooked up. hubs are on but the nuts that go onto the axles are not going on easily. they came off super easy now they are not going on without a fight. i replaced the oil seal in the front pinion of the rear axle, it was an odd job considering i didn't buy the driver or a pipe and ended up smashing it in and covering it with gasket paste. hopefully it holds but i doubt it, i will replace it again if need be, with the right tools but it will have to wait for a while. i will post up pics of everything soon, I'm currently prepping to move all my stuff up north to my cabin.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 6:33am
oh and the big news my frame is done being welded up however i still do not have a price. ouch, i hope its not to bad it really hinges on weather or not i can continue this build this year or else put it on hold and just do body work with what i already have.
46 2a
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 10:22am
Hi Luke,

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Keep it up.

How about posting some pics
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 6:29am
Working on the pics. My phone takes them at a higher resolution so getting them on here takes a lot of time. Plus I'm moving a lot of my stuff up north tomorrow so I'll get it up after that.
46 2a
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

Working on the pics. My phone takes them at a higher resolution so getting them on here takes a lot of time. Plus I'm moving a lot of my stuff up north tomorrow so I'll get it up after that.

No Biggie:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/photobucket-app-for-phone_topic24413.html#213490

In case you were unaware
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 12:42am
ok so we got my carb before and after cleaning, engine before cleaning and the casting numbers after. Does anyone know what they mean?. also have the cab back the spot of rust and the floors of it i will deal with that come august. ill get some of the painted engine up later and then one of the fully assembled engine. is there anywhere in pertular i should take pictures of?
46 2a
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 1:17am
My '53 has the same stuff------F head engine. Take a close look at the top of the block between cylinders 2 & 3. Look for cracks that run between the water outlet holes and make sure it doesn't go into the valve seats. Look at the head in this area also. Don't use the steel sided head gasket, use the all fiber one and re-torque it as soon as you warm the engine up the first time. After you re-torque it, go back and re-adjust the valves. You also must be sure the float in the carb is set right and that the metering rod is correctly set. .016 exhaust, .018 intake clearances are a must!!!!! I get more waves and smiles with my pickup than any other car I've ever owned. Even my Cj'sShocked Cool trucks! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>