Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2a pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2a pulling
    Posted: 18 July 2012 at 3:43am
Ok so what's the biggest you have pulled with your 2a? Pics or story's are appreciated.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:14pm
I had (chose) to drag a dead Mercedes Unimog that weighed about 8000 pounds back to my shop with my 48 2A. The Unimog rolled, but with the low gearing of the planetary gear set on the axels, it was all I could do to pull it. I was on hard pavement so I had to pull in 2wheel high range. I did have to use 4 wheel high range to get it moving and then did a very quick shift back to 2wheel on the fly after I got a little road speed. Turns out that my 2A with a stock motor will spin the tires on dry pavement trying to get that pig moving. I was able to shift into 2nd gear but she was lugged down pretty good so 3rd gear was out of the question. I have very good oil pressure at low rpms, so I wasn't to concerned about engine damage lugging it down like that. The distance was only a mile or so, but that little Willys really had to work hard. Sorry, I didn't have a camera with me for pics.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

OldSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2012 at 1:40am
I once pull started a fully loaded tractor trailer rig.  80,000 lbs.  It had dead batteries and was in a parking lot.  The driver thought I was crazy.   I put the jeep in 4wd low and let the jeep move forward till my tow rope pulled tight and then just kept the wheels turning.  After a little slipping the truck started to roll.  It only took about 10 feet to get enough momentum for the truck to pop the clutch and start up. 

That may not really qualify as towing, but that jeep will pull! 

Oh, I've also towed a 16' trailer around our ranch numerous times with as much as 3000 - 4000 lbs of corn on it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply