Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Tank Boil??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank Boil??
    Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:20pm
Will it hurt my gas tank to take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and reinstall it? Thanks Much !!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:48pm
Best thing you can do for it!
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:13pm
What gets boiled out? Fuel residue? What chemicals do radiator shops use for cleaning? 
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
hrogersfun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:19pm
My tank has been on my 2A and just sitting for 7 years!! So I thought it would need cleaning out and thought this was a good idea!! How else could one clean it out GOOD ?? Thanks!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:55pm
We have some resident chemists here who can answer the question about the solution used. But suffice to say, if the same solution is used on flimsy-metal radiators and they come back clean as a whistle and working better than before, why should we, your friends, guides and mentors on this site send you on a perceived errand of destruction for a solidly built steel tank? If you were using a plastic gas tank, that would be a different story. The solution dislodges and/or dissolves from the interior surfaces of the tank everything non-mettallic. Thereby rendering the interior surfaces pristinely clean and ready for whatever preservative coating you wish to apply.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 8:12pm
 Does it remove rust ? because that's what I always see inside old tanks... Old gasoline residue is far less a problem that rust particles constantly clogging the fuel filter and carburetor. Radiators,other than the mounting brakets are made from materials that don't rust like steel.I have cleaned radiators and been successful using mild acids like vinegar and much stronger muriatic acid.Cleaning a gas tank might remove whatever crud plugged up a thousand rust pinholes.So you get back a fuel tank you can see through Smile Just wondering. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 8:23pm
I’m sorry. Yes it will remove the LOOSE rust. Hopefully, there won’t be a Swiss Cheese condition. If it is really rusty inside you will have to treat it for that condition. It will be in a lot better shape than it was before, provided there was only surface rust and there are no pinholes. There are a few products on the market that will deal with the rust, and companion products that will seal the metal inside so you won’t have any more rust for a very long time. I personally have never used them and cannot vouch for any. Others will post their recommendations based upon their experience. I don’t mess with rusty tanks, I scrap ‘em. They are problems waiting to occur. 
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 8:29pm
TAKE IT OVER TO SAPPS THEY ARE RIGHT BY YOU & LET THEM DO IT FOR YOU
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
hrogersfun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:39pm
Where is Sapps? I live in Benson, is it close by? Thanks Hillbilly!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 10:04pm
PM-ED YA
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 1:13am
   Machine shop hot tanks use sodium hydroxide ,commonly called lye, and hot water.Lye loosens crud,rust and whatnot but doesn't attack ferrous metals or brass/copper.It does eat aluminum and your skin.I had a home made lye tank for greasy engine parts. Doing a little research says some radiator shops use a hot lye tank and some use a muriatic acid tank.Many shops now use milder solutions,or thermal cleaning.
 It's all nasty stuff  of course. I used common sense and protective clothing and cleaned my own parts.Problem is getting rid of the waste and those who live in built up areas can't be fuming out their neighbors.
 I interested in how much radiator shops charge to clean a tank,please post the cost if you can.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 1:36am
Last time (three years ago) radiator boil-out was $25.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 1:58am
UP TOO 65.00 NOW  Shocked  BUT WORTH IT  Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 1:29pm
 Yeah,if it needs cleaning ,65 bucks is easier than the mess of a home brewed cleaning tank.But I like to experiment with stuff.My wife knows how to get lye from water and wood ashes. And mix that with animal fat for a good hand soap.
 From my own experience...I cleaned the fuel tank from a 50 Chevy truck.Looked real good,didn't appear to be rusty.Then I test the tank by pouring in some lacquer thinner,rotate the tank to check for leaks.Thinner finds holes better than anything and evaporates quickly.Anyways,the tank had a few pinholes ....
 I assume the radiator shop may pressure test the tank if they have right plugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply