Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets see yer Luzon Red Jeeps!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2012 at 4:38pm
Original Luzon Red paint.  The new paint is not the right color, but it looks good.  BTW, I have an original Nason 1948 and 1949 Willys color chart.  I am going to take it and see if I can match the Universal Beige to any modern automobile paint, at which time I would be happy to share that information.  I also would consider loaning (if you promise to return it to me) the original chart to anyone who is trying to match Universal Beige or any of the other colors on the charts.
TnFFC facebook page
TennesseeFlatFenderClub@yahoo.com

'47 CJ2A 125829
'46 CJ2A 72736 Rust Bucket

Red48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 6:18pm
Here is one of the samples of the original red on my '48 from the inside right fender.
48 CJ2A 175088
Red48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 6:29pm

And here is a shot of the finished product.
48 CJ2A 175088
Red48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 6:32pm
The color sequence was: Luzon Red - Funky Green (see avatar) - Funky Yellow - Luzon (or as close as we could get it) Red.
48 CJ2A 175088
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 9:04pm
Red48, I like your red 48! My 48 also started at as a red, but is now a funky skyblue/rust color. Sy MY avitar. If I ever am brave enough to do the body work, I think it will go back to the red. It's staying scabby looking for now though.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 5:40pm
Photo taken in July 1949.  My Grandpa repainted the Jeep a bright red the following year when he joined the Davis County Jeep Posse in northern Utah, as all members had their Jeeps painted the same color.  I reproduced the red during my resto as opposed to going back to the original Luzon.

48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2012 at 1:27am
Red48,  That is a beautiful jeep . Well done.!Clap
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2012 at 4:34pm

Photo taken in early 1950's.

TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2012 at 8:59pm
red48... that's a great looking ride... great job!
Jim
Red48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 5:49am
Thanks, guys. Right now it's in the final stages of a complete engine and tranny rebuild. Should be driving it any day now. Hopefully just in time for cooler weather. The last few days have been like a blast furnace down here.
48 CJ2A 175088
Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 7:55pm
Not quite finished yet, but Mom (now age 91) got to drive it.  She drove it home from the Willys dealership in July 1947 brand new.  Now here it is again "brand new" in the 2012 shiny version of Luzon Red.  
TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

Tom G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 7:58pm
Hey Jeep Lady,

That looks fantastic.  Did you ever find a good subsitute for Universal Beige?  Looking to repaint my wheels this winter.

Thanks

Tom G
1949 CJ2A #221763
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 8:31pm
Nice!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 9:01pm
Thanks guys.  I'm delighted.  Still a few little things to do and a few minor glitches to work out.  Muffler guy routed the exhaust system wrong for one thing.  Put the muffler under the gas tank and the tail pipe is just behind the tag and is cooking it!  Gonna do it over.  And the steering gear box has to be rebuilt.  It leaks at the sector shaft from having grease instead of oil in it in a previous life.

My version of Universal Beige was as close as I could get from memory, and it is off quite a bit.  I now have a Nason color chart with Universal Beige on it and will be happy to mail it to you if you will promise to mail it back.  Seeing and matching it in person is the only way I know of to get a really good match.  Computers distort color too much.  Just PM me an address if you would like to see the Nason color chart up close and personal.
TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 10:03pm
Jeep Lady, that does look really nice.. Is it the angle of the photo or is your windshield leaning too far back? If it is it may cause you headaches fitting the top again. SOmewhere here is a measurement from the windshield to tha back of the tub, check Jpets top threads.....

And the old picture from the 50's is really good. Too bad you don't have a full view from then, it looks like a great stock jeep with all the right stuff on it.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 2:42am
My windshield does seem to be leaning a bit further back than this pic of "The General".  Hope Jeff doesn't mind my borrowing his pic for comparison.  Good eye FBill.  You and a couple of others on here seem to see every little detail that most of the rest of us miss.  It may also have a slight warp to it, which doesn't show in this pic.  Probably will cause fitting problems.  I will confront that when I get to it.  Need some financial recovery time.  Paying someone else to do the work is pricey.  I'm going to make a "Reedkini" using jpet's directions and I can fit it to the Jeep as I go.  I may decide to make a whole top later, but one thing at a time.

We have searched and searched for a better picture of the Jeep when it was new, but nothing has turned up so far. 

TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 1:40pm
Not to dwell on your windshield, but something that I noticed in your photo, above, is a slight rearward bend in the upper part of the windshield frame, perhaps half way up near the round portion of the lollipop bracket/adjusting arm.  That was caused, most likely, by people using the windshield as a grab bar when getting in the Jeep.  As for the overall angle, to me it looks very close to jpet's except for that little bend.

Edited by samcj2a - 08 Sep. 2012 at 1:49pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jeep Lady View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2012 at 6:10pm
I think you are right, samcj2a.  If you put a straight edge next to the windshield frame on the picture you can really see it.  Likely the source of the warped appearance I mentioned.  Also likely caused by the means you noted.  looks to me like it could be a fairly easy fix.  I'll point it out to the resto guy............just when I though the spending spree was over. Cry

If the rain clears I will get it out later and take some more pics.  Looks like the windshield warp starts lower on the other side and is more pronounced.  Without the bend it probably would look closer to the angle on  jpets.
TnFFC facebook page

'47 CJ2A 125829

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>