Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winch???????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 10:02pm
The only time I've had the winch feel like it was under powered is when I didn't have much line spooled out, and I was to lazy to snatch block it.

Other than that, I've never had it feel under powered.  If anything, what I was trying to pull stayed there and I was dragged along.  I guess in some situations the winching jeep needs to be anchored to another jeep, or a tree or something.

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 17 Aug. 2012 at 10:08pm
2a #40500
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 11:57pm
When I was stuck in Utah three Jeeps came out and if the Rubicon had not done the job they were going to hook up end to end and try it. There was nothing else to tie off on. I really hope I never have to find out if my winch does the job to pull me out.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2012 at 12:07am
Frankly, I'd only use a winch on a CJ to pull yourself, another of the same weight, or something lighter than you. When you tie off the rear to pull out something big, you probably will wreck your Jeep/winch or hurt someone.  A snatchblock with a cable through it and back to your vehicle doubles the pulling power and also the ability to damage things. It works great to pull sideways with the snatch tied off to something. If the Forest Service catches you cabled to a tree to do it, you get fined for damaging the tree.  I have a Ramsey 8000 PTO on my CJ3A, and haven't needed it yet. Looks cool though. I did go down a deep cut of an old road with all 6-10 inch rock and wondered if I had to go back up the trail. Figured the winch might be my saving grace. Ended up driving out on nice smooth green grass. Peace of mind though.  Stock exhaust doesn't clear the Ramsey set, you have to re-route the intermediate section. I'm still 6 volt on the Jeep, so a electric winch is not in the plan. Go for it! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 1:22am
Today, Sunday, I got my winch on and wired. Reading the instructions and specs I found it has a 45 second duty cycle at full load with a 14 minute minimum rest time. The kit has #6 wire in it and 296 amp at 12v full load calls for #2 wire. With the duty cycle it recommends, using #2 wire would be over kill. Since my cables are so short I don't think there will be any issues and since I will seldom if ever pull at full load, I used the #6 cable in the kit and cut them to the length I needed.

I mounted the control plug receptacle in the center of the dash and the long cable will let me use it outside the Jeep if needed.

hrogersfun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 1:25am
What kind of winch do you have? What pound pull does it have? Where did you get it?  THANKS!!
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 1:45am
I had a 5000# Ramsey, the one that slides in a receiver hitch and it worked well till I burned it up pulling out much larger vehicles.  One thing I hadn't considered when buying the winch is cable capacity, I think mine came with 75' which would be plenty till I used a snatch block, dropping the amount of line 50%.

I'm rebuilding an old belleview with bronze bushings and seals on the mainshaft instead of no seals and plastic bushings.  So far it's cost me $85.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 1:51am
I amnew to this winch thing so please forgive me!! So the shorter the cable the more pull power you have?  So a 50' cable is better than a 100' cable? Thanks !
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 2:06am
Not really.  The winch is rated on the first wrap of cable on the drum.  As you add winch line to the drum, it increases in diameter making the winch pull less.  It's the same as if you added taller tires, they are harder to turn.

I have had to strip cable off the drum to the first wrap to get the most I could out of a winch, just wrap the excess around something or use a more distant winching point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 2:10am
Is a 8,000 lbs. a good size winch to use on a 1946CJ2A? I don't want to bolt it to the jeep just mount it to a winch mount  so I can put it on the back bumper or the front bumper!! Ideas????
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 4:19am
As listed in a previous post the winch is a 5000 lb Bad Lands winch from Harbor Freight. I got it on sale with a 20% discount for $159.99. It lists for $219.99.

My son did some searches and found the Bad Lands winch had good reviews so I went with it. I hope I never have to use it.

Using a "snatch block" single pulley with a hook for double line doubles your pulling force but as mentioned the wraps on the drum limits the force your getting. Using the snatch block is a good idea it the distance is not to great. I will carry some tow straps but you have to be careful using them as they stretch and create a spring back effect on the cable and it can hurt you if it hits you.

Use your mind and think if your going to use a winch. They can be dangerous.
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 4:52am
45 seconds of hard pulling is probably rare.  I'd say when someone is really stuck, you probably don't need more than 15 seconds of full on pulling.  (actually, alot less really, just enough to get over the next rock!)  At least when you are on the rocks anyway.  Maybe mud is different.   When you are pulling big rocks to maintain a trail, 45 seconds of hard pulling would probably be at least the normal pull.

But if the power cables are only 6 gauge, I'd get some thicker power cables.  6 gauges seems thin to me.  

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 20 Aug. 2012 at 4:55am
2a #40500
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Daniel_Buck Daniel_Buck wrote:

45 seconds of hard pulling is probably rare.  I'd say when someone is really stuck, you probably don't need more than 15 seconds of full on pulling.  (actually, alot less really, just enough to get over the next rock!)  At least when you are on the rocks anyway.  Maybe mud is different.   When you are pulling big rocks to maintain a trail, 45 seconds of hard pulling would probably be at least the normal pull.

But if the power cables are only 6 gauge, I'd get some thicker power cables.  6 gauges seems thin to me.  

Yep, mud is different!  I'd still be in this hole with a $200 winch working 45 seconds followed by 14 min cooldown!  I had to turn the jeep around to get out, it's nosed in toward a river.

1943 ford gpw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1943 ford gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 3:36pm
This is my Harbor Freight Winch, its the 8000 lbs and works great, I used the cables that it came with and its hooked up to 2 smaller 12V batteries as my jeep is 24V.. Paid a little over $200 for it as I got it on sale plus got the 20% coupon so got about 40% off total. I have had the winch for about 3 or 4 years and it has saved the day a number of times and would buy one any day as they are a lot cheaper than the Warns and other Winches and seem to work very well. I just could not see myself paying $600 to $1000 for a winch that I may use 3 to 5 times a year. I just don't get stuck very often.. If you plan on getting stuck a lot then maybe you should consider a Warn LOL

Pulling myself out of a mud pond 

1941 Dodge wc12
1942 script gpw
1942 gpw/mb
1942 mb
1945 Ford GPW
1951 Navy m38
1951 m38
1952 M38a1
1954 m38a1
1962 M151
1962 dodge m43
1964 m416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 5:00pm
Is that the name brand name Harbor freight? Would this winch work if you had it mounted on a winch mount so you could move it from front to back on your jeep? THANKS !!
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 5:30pm
Harbor freight is who sells the winch.  the winch  used to made by  chicago electric, (Chinese still) 
they work but are slow. for most winch jobs they are fine. I have used them and Ramseys,  the ramsey was really about the same.  

When I ran modified Samurai's I was happy a few times I had the 8K winch. That was in big rocks, and usually I would run cable so I would not tip over.   I ran a 5K on my Suzuki X90  and it worked fine. but it was a much lighter duty rig. 

For a 2a used for light wheeling a 5K is minimum  I would run with a snatch block  But I would lean towards an 8K winch.   you should be able to mount the 8k on the receiver hitch as it is done often.  (but remember it is usally 70+ pounds to move and you have to run power to both ends of the rig. ) 
Glenn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrogersfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 5:43pm
Thanks very much plowmb!! I would only use it about 3 times a year, never go in mud but it snows here about 3 or 4 times a year and want it just in case!! Did you leave it out in the elements or did you keep it covered most of the time outside??? Would you buy another one like it? What model is it or just ask for the 8,000 lbs. winch by Harbor freight? Many Thanks!!
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 6:06pm
 Mount the solenoids pack under the hood if at all possible, and you can leave it out on the front.
Just spray the wire rope down with a light oil once in awhile so it will not rust or corrode.   I did run a cover on  the sami, then when I moved the winch to my Tracker I buried it in the grill so I didn't run the cover.  Just sprayed the wire rope with WD-40 or CRC  and always made sure to keep the wire neat on the spool.   That way the wire lasts and does not kink.  
I would get a a HF winch again, and likely get the extended warranty. ( for their electrics is is cheap insurance.  and before the 
expiration of the warranty bring your old unit in and get a new one. )

go to http://www.harborfreight.com/  it looks liek they just have 9K and 6K in this size now. I would go with the 9K (it is likely the same winch as the 8k.. Just relabeled. )
and look at the winches.  if you look around on the web or in car magazines you should be able to find a 20% off coupon. you can use it in a store or online to order it.

Oh and NICE M38a1 , 1943fordGPW.  I used to have one in days gone past. 

Edited by plowmb - 20 Aug. 2012 at 6:20pm
Glenn
1943 ford gpw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1943 ford gpw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by hrogersfun hrogersfun wrote:

Thanks very much plowmb!! I would only use it about 3 times a year, never go in mud but it snows here about 3 or 4 times a year and want it just in case!! Did you leave it out in the elements or did you keep it covered most of the time outside??? Would you buy another one like it? What model is it or just ask for the 8,000 lbs. winch by Harbor freight? Many Thanks!!

For what your wanting a winch for, it sounds to me like the Harbor Freight Winch would be perfect as it has been for me. I use it a few times a year for the "oooppps" and it works perfectly, My Winch is the Road Shock but I think Harbor Freight replaced those with some newer ones, and I just looked at there web site and I guess online they don't have the 8,000lb anymore so you have to go with a 9,000 or 6,000. unless there is a store near you and maybe they have the 8,000lb one..

For me I just cover my Winch with a Canvas tarp and that is how it sits outside 356 days a year. here are some pictures of it..

Thanks Glenn, in my opinion the m38a1 was the best jeep ever made as they are so well built. I love driving it Big smile

Edited by 1943 ford gpw - 20 Aug. 2012 at 6:40pm
1941 Dodge wc12
1942 script gpw
1942 gpw/mb
1942 mb
1945 Ford GPW
1951 Navy m38
1951 m38
1952 M38a1
1954 m38a1
1962 M151
1962 dodge m43