Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam T-3C Serial no. 12131

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam T-3C Serial no. 12131
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2012 at 11:45pm

I've had this trailer for 11 years.  Work on it has been um, very slow.  Hopefully, this introduction isn't too premature.

I'm listed on the T3-C page but so far the only images are what were provided to me by the seller.  I'm working on that!  My first task was to uncover the "BANTAM" logo.  It had 3 coats of paint over it.

Green, orange and then grey (a primer, perhaps?)  Is it me, or is there a cream color look to the letters?  I'd always thought the letters were just white.  I'd like to sand it some more but it makes me nervous.  Anyone got tips or techniques to clean this up? 

As I sat there and stared at it, I began to think of  the colors and what I should be seeing.  So, off to the side, I decided to sand it down to the metal - just to see what I find.

Okay.  This revealed a bit more.  I count 5 layers of paint.  It appears the first layer is orange.  The second is green.  Then there's that grey layer.  After grey, the 4th layer is another shade of orange and then finally, another and final layer of green.

Is it common on these trailers to have paint directly on the metal with no primer?  I've got a lot to do on this.  I'm thankful the metal is in rather good shape.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 Apr. 2018 at 9:58pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 12:34am
Russ,

I have your trailers younger brother: http://bantamt3c.com/bantam12183.htm
You sure thats not red as the first layer?
How did you strip the layers?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 12:55am

Art,

Yes!  I noticed that!  I was hoping that I'd find my trailer sandwiched in between two '47 models so I'd know for sure what year mine is - there was no information provided when I purchased it except it came from a Boy Scout troop.

On the paint.  No, I'm not sure.  Would the red you ask about have an orangish tint?  What you see is all I've done so far.  I used 220 grit and varied the pressure as I went.  440 wasn't getting anywhere.  Sounds like I may need to uncover a larger area.

Now that I've got the logo uncovered, I may try some chemicals on another area to see what happens on paint removal.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 24 Aug. 2012 at 12:56am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 1:23am
My trailer does in places. I'm just guessing fading and oxidation. I wonder if the dtaplate has ever been off. Also if you can see down the frame rails or under neith where they might not have painted real well.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 1:30am
To me form that pic it looks like a brown primer. Then the green. Then a white possibly a primer. Then an orange then a top green. As for the logo if it's raised lettering a soda blaster would work great to Just remove paint.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 11:59pm
Art,
As far as I can tell, the tag has not been removed. 

It will (have a replacement already, thanks to Robert de Ruyter!) and no doubt that will be a good place to look for original paint.  I have not gotten a good look under the trailer yet - just a quick look noticing some rust.

Schimms,
No doubt the soda blaster would be a nice option but it's unavailable.  I'll have to use hand sanding or chemicals prior to stripping it for body work.  I don't know if they'd let me stand there and take pics while they blasted the paint off - couldn't hurt to ask!

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 Apr. 2018 at 9:36pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2012 at 12:10am
is the lettering raised? im going through a similar and stripping off my truck cabs paint. dont use a hot air gun it sucks. if i had a DA sander or a random orbit i would use that and quality 60 or 80 grit paper. or else a grinder with paint wheel works but get a lot of wheels because you burn through them quick and the metal gets hot. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2012 at 4:40am
Schimms,
The only raised aspect I can see is the paint itself.  Prior to sanding the letters, I could just barely detect the outline if the light was postitioned just right and I looked across at a shallow angle.  I initially used a sanding bar but due to the metal having bumps in it, the high spots were sanding away faster than the full letters - and I was only cutting through the green layer overall.  So I switched to the old-fashioned method of wrapping my finger with sandpaper and then randomly sanding until the colors started changing. 

That way, I could move away or bare down harder depending on what I saw.  Now that I'm at the letter layer, I don't want to gouge through it until I can control it a little easier.

Note to self: No heat gun.  I haven't used any sanding tools yet, but that may work on a larger area away from the letters to get a better look at the deeper layers.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 2:08am

I started some disassembly today.  I took apart the casting/leg and the A-Frame rails.

I found some green where the A-Frame rails attached under the body. 

Also, a side-by-side of the two rails where the bolt attachment is under the front edge of the frame (a bit more green right by the bolt hole here as well).  Anyone know what that hole is on the right frame rail?  Remnant of military harness, perhaps?

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 Apr. 2018 at 9:40pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 3:18am
Might be for a cable clamp for the harness.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 2:44pm

Art,

Checking my TM's for the trailers, they all show the harness on the right side (I assume to access the BO switch that was mounted on the right front).

Since I seem to have remnants of a wiring harness all on the left (drivers) side, I'm wondering if this hole on the right side is a hold over, from the military days, or a PO addition. 

With remnants of wiring harness on the civilian model showing on the left side:

Clip up front:

I may have a mixture of these "flared" clips and the non-flared.  Have others that have found these clips noticed flared or non-flared style?

Edited by Rus Curtis - 29 Sep. 2018 at 4:05am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2012 at 8:59pm
Well, the entire trailer was dissassembled and taken in for blasting.  During the tear-down, I found more painted areas that couldn't have been accessed (thanks Art for the suggestion) This image matches what I previously posted on the frame rails:

I'm very comfortable in calling this trailer green.  I also believe Schimms is correct about the layer of primer before the green.  I have not seen many images of civilian trailers showing enough detail to tell for sure, but when I look at this I can't help but draw a conclusion that the parts (at least some) were painted prior to assembly.  That leads me to believe that some of the hardware may have not been painted (similar to the jeep bodies).  Any hardware that WAS painted (casting bolts perhaps)?

I thought it would be fun to pop off a hub cap to look inside and see what I see.  Oh my:

I just bolted the cap back into place until after it gets painted.  I suppose I could start ordering parts...

Edited by Rus Curtis - 14 Apr. 2018 at 9:54pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply