Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hat channel dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hat channel dimensions
    Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 3:35pm
I'm going to try and make my own hat channels out of 18 gauge sheet metal.  We have a break at work "if that's how you spell it" and I will be using that.  My question is is anybody has dimensions of the hat channels?  Worse case I can measure an old one.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 3:54pm
LOOK UNDER MEMBER CREATED PARTS..YOU MIGHT FIND ITS CHEAPER AND FASTER TO GET THOSE THAN DO IT YOURSELF Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 8:11pm
I agree, I was going to make a die and press them but decided it's not worth the time to make them. Also you may need a finger break to make them with and doing the two short bends for the leg and then the foot will be very close and you will have to finish it out with a hammer and an anvil.

I have made things like that just to prove I can but sometimes it's best to buy them and move on.
Life is only as good as you make it.
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 12:56am
I have made my own hats and yes it is allot of work,but it can be done. I started with 16 gauge galvinized channel 1 1/2 x1 1/2  and bent the hat part of the channel by hand with a hammer. But the next time I do it being my channel is 16 gauge I will cut that to the right hite and weld right to my floor patches. I don't know how original you want it to look but the flange on the stock hats was mostly for an easy spotweld surface. I welded bushings inside mine so they wouldn't crush when bolted up instead of putting the wood in them,that to me is just a place to stay wet. Use weld through primer on the inside of your channels to. good luck 
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 2:58am
I made mine with 4 foot break. Not much to it. To make the hat brims you have to distort some of the piece you already bent but pretty easy to get it square up with hands and a few hand tools. I used 18 gauge and welded iron pipe crush sleeves for the bolt holes.

Turn tub up side down and lay the upside down frame on top of tub.  This way you can fit the channels to line up the bolt holes in frame and tub.  Drill the channels to fit and then drop in the bolts before you start welding.  You can drill the flanges  through the body to get a tight fit and use sheet metal screws to hohd in place.  You can remove the screws and plug weld the holes

If I ever do it again I will use clecos.

Edited by ralf - 30 Aug. 2012 at 3:43am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 4:39am
I just had a sheet metal shop make me up some out of 16g. They dont have the radius bends but are just fine. I also added a small section of pipe at the mounting holes the prevent crushing.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 11:59am
I guess I'm bubba, but I'm only replacing the passenger floor with the tub on the frame.  I am going to cut the hat channels off because they were already cut.  I am then going to add the new hat channels onto the old one's by welding them.  I am then going to put the floor over the channels and weld, then drill the holes for the carriage bolts.  Does this sound like it would work?  This tub "i'll be sending pictures pretty soon" has been gone through many times. 
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 1:07pm
army jeep parts has a real nice set of hat channels for $140

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

army jeep parts has a real nice set of hat channels for $140
I second Russ.

It's a very nice set...and at a reasonable price.

Tim 
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 1:45pm
Here is an item you could use for inside the hat channel,  A meat cutters white  chopping block.  Cut it to fit.  It is a plastic/nylon material of sort and it will not crush or hold water.
Ed
cj2a lefty
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 2:43pm
Yes, the passenger floor section can be replaced from above. Remove the tool box, cut the old hat to a good section, remove the wood. You can use pipe for crush, paint the inside of the channel, and drill drain holes in the channel. Don't leave out the "bolt to nowhere" that supports the hat channel where it goes under the step.
BOULDER 48 2A
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 11:54am
I  bought all the panels from classic enterprise and I am waiting on them to arrive.  The tub I'm working on is a mb tub.  I'll post pictures once it starts going someplace, right now it looks like it got in a fight with a saw and cutting tool ha-ha.
PGoodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2019 at 3:43am
Does anyone have drawings and measurements for 2a front floor hat channels
Paul Goodman
 Post Reply Post Reply