Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor stuck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louvers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor stuck
    Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 4:38pm
I am a new Jeep owner having aquired a 47 CJ2A with the stock 4 banger.   The Jeep has been sitting for a while and I need to take the distributor  out all that I can see holding it in is the clamp thing I have loosened it right off but the dist won't even turn ?  never mind pull it out,  am I missing  somthing? 
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 4:46pm
 They get stuck...Spray penetrating oil where the dist fits in the block,might help. I used a large 460 Channel Locks around the distributor,gave it a twist,came right out.Be cautious with "force" it's all to easy to break the fragile top lip of the distributor....
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 4:47pm
Soak it with your favorite rust breaking snake oil,. Might also try Freeze off. It is a common problem and you may find more on it by doing an advanced search of the technical forum. It will mostly take patience and time for the penetrant of choice to soak in and do its work.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 4:48pm
Probably rusted into place (common problem). The method for loosening/removing it range from spraying penetrating oil (not WD40) and twisting the distributor body all the way to removing the engine, removing the oil pump, and driving the distributor out from the oil pump side of the engine. (and every method between these two ends of the spectrum). I'd start with soaking the distributor with PB Blaster (my penetrating oil of choice, Kroil works well too) for a number of days (or weeksLOL) and then use a strap wrench to try to loosen it. This would be the least damaging way of approaching it, any more aggressive method and you run the risk of damaging the distributor (which in the end might be unavoidable but at least start from the least destructive methodWink)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Kendog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 8:10pm
Loosen BOTH the clamp that secures the dist., AND the clamp from the block. Then get under the truck with a hammer and a long wooden dowel. A few taps at the underside of the distributor (carefully) and out it will come. But loosen BOTH clamps.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 1:01am
You can sometimes use two screwdrivers and work them as wedges between the block and distributor base to get it to move up. The body is cast and breaks if you get impatient. I've been here too. Lots of soaking, lots of time.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 12:56pm
[QUOTE=bkreutz]
"The method for loosening/removing it range from spraying penetrating oil (not WD40)"

Hey Gale,
I was at Lowe's the other day and they carry WD40 Rust Penetrant. I believe it's in a yellow/red can (I think).
Was wondering if anyone has seen/tried it yet. Must be new, as I haven't seen it before. Thinking on picking up a can on my next visit.

Bob
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 2:03pm
+1 on Freeze Off. Thumbs Up

Here is my account of using it on a dizzy that didn't want to budge. 

Edited by Scott R - 31 Aug. 2012 at 2:08pm
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
louvers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louvers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 6:10pm
Got it Out I used a strap wrench designed for removal of oil filter I think  a lot of penetrating oil and the strap wrench . I like the Freeze of stuff, I as a demo on dent removal uzing a similar product the guy heated a dent in his truck lid with an industrial heat gun  then hit it with " dust off" he held the can upside down and it quickly cooled the dent and it popped out like magic.

Thanks for the advice. 
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 7:22pm
I gave up on mine,and took it to the machine shop, He had to destroy the distributor to get it out
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

[QUOTE=bkreutz]
"The method for loosening/removing it range from spraying penetrating oil (not WD40)"

Hey Gale,
I was at Lowe's the other day and they carry WD40 Rust Penetrant. I believe it's in a yellow/red can (I think).
Was wondering if anyone has seen/tried it yet. Must be new, as I haven't seen it before. Thinking on picking up a can on my next visit.

Bob

Bob, I haven't seen that (but I haven't been looking eitherLOL) I have nothing against the original WD40, I still have it in the shop and still use it for it's original purpose (water displacing) and for removing stickers (works very well at dissolving glue). I'll have to buy a can and see how it compares with PB Blaster.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2012 at 3:48pm

Mine has been soaking in PB Blaster for several weeks now,  but could not get it to budge before today.   I got a set of large Channel-locks for Christmas present and gave it a try today.  . .   I can now turn the distributor housing.    I have spun it back and forth almost 360,  (the oiler will not clear the block) . .  It is loose enough now that I can now even turn by hand (but very difficult).   I still can not get it to come out.

It should pull straight out?  correct?   The clamp is very loose.
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2012 at 4:36pm
"Mine has been soaking in PB Blaster for several weeks now, but could not get it to budge before today. I got a set of large Channel-locks for Christmas present and gave it a try today. . . I can now turn the distributor housing."

It's a Christmas Miracle!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

It's a Christmas Miracle!

LOL

Well . . it is out now,  but not pretty.  Ouch

With no luck spinning and prying,  I decided to pull the oil pump (should have done that first).    I noticed while turning distributor - > that the center shaft spun also.   I found out why when the pump was off.  The "T" was sheared off the end of shaft.

This distributer was really rusted tight.   I finally ended up driving it out with a steel rod from the oil pump end.

I doubt this distributor is usable.  

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2012 at 5:25pm
Difficult to get a decent photo, but:

there appears to be a hex-shaped "sleeve" in the block.   Is this something this needs to be driven out?

view from distributor end:

view from oil-pump end:
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 4:07am
I believe that sleeve was part of the distributor and should be removed from the block. Many people on here have spare parts so a distributor is no problem.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 5:26am
Careful! I've heard of several cases of cracks in that bore. I always assumed it was probably from freezing, etc, but that may indicate that its an area of thin casting, so Be Careful!    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply