Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valve removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valve removal
    Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 10:58pm
I Would like a step by step or video of how to remove the valve spring keepers on my 47'.
I have a flat head valve spring clamp. I'm just looking for a good method of removal.
Thank you to any good info!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 11:29pm
First thing! - plug all the drain holes in the valve chamber with rags.
Compress the spring & remove the keepers. Usually they will fall out, I put a magnet in there to catch them when they do. Once in a while you may need to prod one or two with a screwdriver to make it let go of the valve stem. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2012 at 11:31pm
X2. Smile
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 12:18am
I think it would be next to impossible to make a video of this exact operation as the tool would be in the way of the action.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 1:12am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nifpv0PDn_4&feature=related
This is a different valve job but it is the same thing only the valves on a flat head is upside down.
There are more on youtube
Ed
cj2a lefty
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 4:25am
Jay... Also, choose your weapons carefully. While it is very much personal preference, I choose to use the type of spring compressor that compresses the spring and holds down the top of the valve (right) than one that just compresses the springs (left). I think the one on right is both easier and safer. Also... remove the keepers with needle nose pliers, or pop them off with a screwdriver - don't try to take them off with your fingers (in case the clamp releases the spring for any reason). ..R

Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 11:42am
 Hey if my wife can do it,anyone can Big smile  Actually this is the F head from our 51 Willys truck and the lump is being assembled ,rags removed for the photo.
 If the engine is on a stand it's not bad because you have room and can rotate the engine. In the Jeep,reaching over the fender and into the engine compartment,more difficult.
  Besides what's mentioned above;use a bright light.

Edited by I got the Willys - 05 Sep. 2012 at 11:43am
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2012 at 2:47pm
One thing I found that helped was a small magnetic probe to get the keepers off.  
for installing them I just use a dab of grease as shown in the above picture. 

(just don't release the spring before you get your fingers out. (I may or may not have gotten a blood blister once..) )

Edited by plowmb - 05 Sep. 2012 at 2:48pm
Glenn
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2012 at 1:28pm
Good Morning,

Check out page two of this thread in particular the potential mistake of valve spring installation.
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
 Post Reply Post Reply