Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these rumors true?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are these rumors true?
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2012 at 6:47pm
I have a 1946 CJ2A, which I am restoring slowly.  I would appreciate your accurate opinions on rumors I have always been told about early 46 CJ's.  My CJ has three (3) separate ID plates on the right dash panel vs. the one (1) which is commonly seen.  Does this have any special meaning. Item 2, my transmission shifter has two (2) bends in it vs. the common one (1) bend, this one comes back as normal, but this recurves upward.  This jeep was owned by my father who purchased it in 1960 from Ringling Bros Circus, it has a plywood body from the front fenders back, and he was told that the circus had a float built on this body, and then the circus removed the float and built this plywood body.  One last item, the transfer case shift levers are not now, or were never threaded on top for shift knobs, they just sorta stick up there.  So, to sum it up, what can any of you knowledgable gentlemen or ladies tell me about this jeep.  It is currently in dry storage so I cannot access the serial number as I know this would be a tremendous help.  Sincerely Michael Clark, Candler, North Carolina
CJ2A 26305 / Michael Clark Plankowner - USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN-69
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2012 at 8:17pm
 Welcome aboard, fellow tarheel. Briefly, I don’t understand what “rumors” you may be referring to. Early 2A’s had one brass ID plate and two brass operating information plates on the dash. Later models had only one tin plate with all information on it. MB and GPW transfer cases had straight levers on their early production units which were soon changed to curved because drivers got confused about which lever was which and where each belonged Confused at any given point. Early production models of the transmission and transfer cases had levers that weren’t threaded, but instead had push-on handles. The crew with the circus was capable of doing anything to anything in order to allow the show to go on. You will need to get in touch with the Ringling people themselves for answers to those questions.

That’s the best I can do for you right now. Keep asking questions, that’s the only way to learn about the questions you didn’t know to ask. Wink

Edited by scoutpilot - 20 Sep. 2012 at 8:18pm
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2012 at 11:12pm
 WELCOME ABOARD....YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED  HERE ! Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
clarkmichael1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2012 at 11:59pm
It would appear that I do have an early model, as I said I have the jeep in storage, until I get my workspace  completed, and will then have the s/n etc.  It does have the straight non threaded levers on the transfer case, and the 3 separate plates on the panel.   I have worked with Jeeps for 40 some odd years and this was the one I learned to drive on.  I also have access to an old Ford Military, with the "f" script on the boltheads, blackout lights, etc.  It has been looked at by various folks, which state that it is a hybrid.  If memory serves me right the front cross member behind the bumper would be square if it was 100% Ford, mine is round, which I was told was a Willys, and that during the war, Ford and Willys would sometimes swap parts as demand came around.  Therefore this jeep has been referred to as a hybrid.  Ever hear of such a beast?   I will keep everyone abreast of the status on my old 46 as it comes back to life.  Original motor, tranny, transfer case.  Plywood body will come off tho and a metal will go back on.  Gonna bring it back original, no V6 in this jeep.  Thanks for making a mountain tar heel feel welcome. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2012 at 1:28am
Early Ford GPW 's had a Willys frame because they weren't available yet from Ford. If you look at the top of the frame rail under the hood by the shock mount, it should be stamped as a GPW! Otherwise, you might be correct that a motor pool swap happened along the way.  The non threaded shifters on early CJ2A's is something I didn't know. More knowledge! I've seen them and thought "who cut them off!!!!!!" Sounds like you do have the "Disease", welcome! Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2012 at 7:24am
plywood body,  ringling bros ?  
   oh' a picture is worth a thousand words.   

if it were mine,  i'd say unique is better than original.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2012 at 2:52pm
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, a little more history on my Plywood bodied Jeep CJ2A.  I found the NC Title last night and the VIN is CJ2A26305.  Looks like probably Feb or March of 46 production, so it is an early one.   Probably explains the transfer case shift levers and such.   I would post photos of the jeep, but we just moved back to NC from WY and the jeep is still there, in covered storage, and will not be here until April of next year when my new spacious garage is completed and I can begin taking her down, to bring her back up.    If there is anyone close to Candler, NC drop me a note and let me know where you live.   Parts will be needed, and for starters, probably a frame.    Thanks to all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2012 at 3:10pm
Oh yeah. Pics are required before you do anything to it. You already know me, My home in Asheboro is 180+/- miles due east of you. There are others closer to you and some are just up the road in Tennessee. Others are just down the road in South Carolina. All of us are ready, willing and some are even able to help. Just ask. Most of us don’t bite either.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2012 at 3:22pm
Appreciate the no biting part.  Have chaperoned many 8th grade trips to the Zoo in Asheboro and such.   I will get the photos as soon as possible, and with the quality of the plywood from the 1950's at 20 feet away, you could never tell it wasn't metal.    
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2012 at 3:27pm

X 2 WITH WHAT   SCOUTPILOT SAYS....

JUST A LITTLE BAND
OF JEEP BROTHERS HERE TO HELP OUT ANYWAY WE CAN !!  Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2012 at 5:21am
I do not believe that any CJ-2A came with push on transfer case lever knobs.  The knurled surface that remains when the knobs are removed without unscrewing them is the knob insert that has become detached from the knob.  This metal insert will, in fact, unscrew from the lever so that a proper knob can be installed.

Also, the 3 dash plates on the early 2As were not brass.

Edited by samcj2a - 26 Sep. 2012 at 5:23am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 3:22am
Welcome,I live in Franklin,and have a few parts,let me know if I can help.
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 5:11pm
I appreciate all of you folks stepping up and making me feel welcome and such.   I am slowly proceeding on getting my 2 bay garage done to start the jeep rebuilds in.   My 46 is still in storage in Wyoming, (in the dry), and won't go to get it until May of next year, when I finally sell the ranch out there.  I am going to try and get a frame to start on before I get the jeep back here because the frame on mine is pretty badly rusted.   R Qualls, glad you are close and to all that replied to my posts I appreciate it.  Hillbilly21 if you could email me with that frame price to clarkmichael1956@yahoo.com and your location I would appreciate it...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 5:24pm
HEADING YOUR WAY !!!!!!!!!!!! Clap
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkmichael1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 8:12pm
Since my early 46 CJ2A has the plywood body on it, and was informed by my late father who bought it from Ringling Brothers Circus in 1960 or 1961 that it had a float built on the body. Later had the plywood body added, and was sold to my dad.   I have emailed Ringling Brothers to see if they have any photos of older jeeps in the 40's or 50's which were used as floats or stunt vehicles.  If I get a response from them, or with any luck some photos I will be sure to post them here.  
WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 9:19pm
Found this says built on jeep
"More Dreamland spec floats. The calliope looking float was actually mounted on an old jeep--a common practice in those days. The other floats are Sleeping Beauty and Scherazade. "
http://circusnospin.blogspot.com/2012/07/ringling-bros-1954_9966.html

Edited by WVCAHILLBILLY - 01 Oct. 2012 at 9:36pm
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 9:40pm
Guess they were called Spectacle Floats. Also found this
http://tempest.lib.ilstu.edu/dm/objects/circus?CISOOP1=all&CISOBOX1=spec+float&CISOFIELD1=any&CISOROOT=%2Fcircus&sort=title

Several pages, didn't go through them all. Some pulled by horses, elephants, possibly jeeps. Pics from 40's & 50's.
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2012 at 9:54pm
 Didn’t every kid back then think about running off to join the circus? I did. Now they want to be discovered on the X-Factor.Ouch

Mike was that your flattop? Which one?

Edited by scoutpilot - 01 Oct. 2012 at 9:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>