Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle nut tightening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle nut tightening
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2012 at 4:40pm
I am in the process of putting my brake hubs back on after replacing the shoes, w cyl. etc.

How tight is the axle nut suppose to be and are the brake hub seals suppose to be flush with

the surface they are sealing or inset some?

Thank you
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2012 at 6:31pm
you tighten the axel nut tight with your hand then snug it with a wrench then back off 1/4 of a turn. DO NOT really tighten it  just snug. Then back it off  I do a 2 finger snug.

Edited by p3ferris - 28 Sep. 2012 at 6:35pm
Ed
cj2a lefty
geepincj7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geepincj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2012 at 6:36pm
I assume you are talking about the rear axle?  If so then the nut needs to be really tight. Like 150 ft pounds if I remember right. If you are talking about the front hubs then snug them up and back off just a little.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2012 at 7:01pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2012 at 9:39pm

I failed to mention it is the front axles I'm working with.  When I removed them they were loose but I thought possiblly they had worked themselves loose.

What each of you have said makes sense.

Thank you for your posts.

Charles
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2012 at 8:39pm
Gentleman...I have forgotten (happens all to frequently) how and the order the front axle assembly

goes back together.

Does someone have a link to where there is an expanded view of the assembly?

Thank you
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2012 at 9:05pm
http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/illustrations/47/fig-31xl.jpg
and
http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/illustrations/47/fig-28xl.jpg

you might want to bookmark this page, it's the parts catalog in it's entirety (that's where the pictures came from) http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/index.php

And thank Sean for all his work to make this possible.Wink

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2012 at 9:12pm
Thank you Sean and bkreutz.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2012 at 9:25pm
Another question that I'm not sure of the answer.

The cone and roller bearing were covered in gear oil...I'm guessing from the Diff. gear oil.

Should they be packed in axle grease before re-installing?

Thank You

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 12:34am
Does anyone know whether or not I need to pack the front axle bearing and cone with axle grease before

re-installing.  It is a CJ-3a with a Dana 25.

Thanks
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 12:46am
I pack the bearings with grease, I believe the manuals say the same thing but I've never read the "how to" on front wheel bearingsLOL (been doing them one way too long to change my ways anyhow)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 1:15am
bkreutz....I've always packed them but I 've never worked on one as old as the cj-2 & 3a's.

So I guess I'll spray them with brake cleaner, use an air compressor to blow them clean and dry, and

then pack them, unless anyone recommends otherwise.

Thank you for the reply....I've been waiting to hear someones opinion before going out and doing them.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 4:11am
Just don't spin the bearings up with the air gun, common mistake to make. Think about it, you're spinning up a bearing without any lube. Quick way to bearing failure. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 6:20pm
I just use the air to blow any loose debris and to dry them....I don't think I spun them.

What you say makes sense...just have to hope I didn't unintenially spin them.

Charles
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 7:07pm
I tighten front wheel bearings on Jeeps until they are tight by hand and spin the assembly by hand to seat everything good. You will notice after more tightening they don't turn by hand as well and drag. That is where I stop and back it off until it frees up and stop right there. The new lock washer is tough to bend. I usually scribe a mark on the nut flat, take it back off and put it in a vice. I then start the bend on the scribe a little and re-install it. Bends way easier after that. On another jeep, a previous mechanic has sawn a 1/4 inch wide tabs in the washer and bent that in two spots. The tab idea worked even easier. If the tabs break on re-use, you still have room to make more and re-use the washer. Anyone else have comments? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 10:12pm
I tighten them pretty snug (too tight to leave it), and give the hub a turn to seat things. Then loosen the nut half a turn or so, so it's no longer putting any pressure on the bearing. Don't turn or disturb the hub. Then I go finger tight again and then back off maybe half a flat. I want them close to zero clearance but NO preload.
Now. Here's the part that's going to stir up a hornet's nest. I know it's against what the books say and what the pictures show. I bend the lock washer over the INNER nut after the outer lock nut is tight. The inner nut is the one that you don't want to move. The outer, lock nut jams it and holds the washer in place. It's easier to bend it that way, and you don't have to un-bend it to remove it.
Close to 30 years in front-end and alignment with no bearing failures due to over-tightening or working loose.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Just don't spin the bearings up with the air gun, common mistake to make. Think about it, you're spinning up a bearing without any lube. Quick way to bearing failure. 

Nothing like the sound of multiple wheel bearings spinning with compressed air in the chassis lab at school.....and then the shop teacher walks in.......Lots of low grades that day!LOL
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2012 at 11:06pm
Oh my God, the hornets are coming.LOL When you think about  the only one that could loosen if the tab in the slot of the spindle shears is the left front while in a forward motion. Would do it either way, so Machts Nicht mein Her!  I just wish 90 weight would find a way to stay in the steering box and knuckles and front diff and rear diff and tranny and transfercase. Natural undercoating, a built in preservation!Big smile John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>