Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine rebuild costs??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine rebuild costs??
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 2:02am
HI Everyone

You guys on here seem to have the pulse on the whole Willys Jeep thing so I thought I would throw this question out to you folks.

The heart of my CJ2A is on the cherry picker as we speak. I have talked to two different machine shops and I am wondering how much you guys spent on your engine rebuilds????

The condition of my motor is(as follows) it had coolant in it when I pulled the radiator out and oil in the crankcase too. I pulled the side cover off and cleaned all the gunk out of there and found out I had 3 broken valve springs and two stuck valves which with some Kroil and many many hand cranks on the front pulley I got all the valves to move as they are supposed to. Both machine shops want me to bring them the complete engine as it is. They want to do the dis-assembly themselves(which in my eyes is not a bad thing).

So if nothing is broken internally (which from what I can see nothing appears to be). How much have you guys spent to get your engines back from the machine shop???

Thanks for any insight. I do have money saved but I just hope I have enough.

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 2:33am
This topic was brought up not to long ago, A friend of mine took his to a shop in western WI, all in parts, thay cleaned,magnafluxed for cracks,had the crank redone, bored and decked the block,surfaced head,valves done w/hard seats and re assembled, painted ready to drop in for $3400. seemed high to me but the only way to get it cheaper is to do the teardown and assembly yourself.

MHO, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wrdabney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrdabney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 3:36am
Mike,

Mine is on the other end of the spectrum from Lee's friend.  I dissambled and reassembled my L head myself.  Had the shop grind the valve seats and valves, clean up the cylinders, put in new rings and bearings (that I purchased online) and they charged me about $300.  I thought it was a fair price for the work they did. 
The price you will be charged is completely dependent on how much you want done to your engine and what needs to be done to get it right.  If it doesn't need much you might can get out for a few hundred bucks.  If it needs complete tear down, all new guts, and a lot of special attention you could be talking a couple of thousand bucks.  $3,400 does seem high Lee, but I'm sure current local market conditions have a bearing on it as well.
TnFFC facebook page
President, TnFFC
Tennesseeflatfenderclub@yahoo.com
'47 T3-C # 23839
'48 CJ2A Body tag # 20xx52
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 3:43am
$1,600  did most of it my self except the valves, valve guides and boreing of cyl.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 4:25am
I had a shop hot tank and magnaflux the block and head and surface the head and block. I bored my block, replaced the valve guides, did the valve job and assembled the engine myself and spent about $1200 on it. 

The price you pay will depend on the local labor rate, the cost of parts and how much of the work you do. I think you will find it varies widely across the USA.  
Life is only as good as you make it.
BMIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 5:23pm
BMIC
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 5:43pm
Two years ago I had my L134 completely rebuilt by Jim's Motors, Galva, Kansas for $1700.  That included baking the block, magnaflux, boring, new pistons, grind one cam lob, new valves, guides, seats, polish the crank, all new bearings, new oil pump  ---   you get the picture.

Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 5:45pm
I think when I had mine rebuilt about 10 years ago I had over $800 just in parts ,plus boring,grinding and then assembly. I gotta say that money was well spent back then, nowadays I'd probably have my Son and his buddies put it back together. I'd think a couple grand still should do a build. Then again My Son just dropped 2 G's on parts for his old I.H. SD 220 6 cyl. that also went for some of the preliminary machine work.  I don't think anything is getting cheaperCry Sandusky
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 6:58pm
From what I have seen posted here in recent years, to have a machine shop bore the block, grind the valves, provide all the necessary new parts, and tear it down and rebuild it, you should plan on ~$2,000.  If the crankshaft requires turning, that would be more.  As was already stated, your location and the prevailing labor costs there will cause the price to vary.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply