Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kayline soft top ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayline soft top ??
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2012 at 8:55pm
I’ve been the fortunate recipient of a couple of Kayline Soft Tops recently. (Thank you Hillbilly21 and Ragin38). I’ve managed to locate and purchase some great used hardware courtesy of BW in Nor’eastern Colorado. (A hat tip to you, sir.) Today the OAT was 71 F, so I fired up Blue and rolled her outside. As of now, I’ve just about finished installing one of these tops on the her. Had to make minor design changes to the bracket mounting setup in order to make the top drape correctly. Mounted on the top of the outer wall was too high. Mounted down on the wheel well was too low. I added a 3/4” spacer (A piece of 1 X 4, PT pine) under the main bracket and mounted this setup to the wheel well. Perfectamente! A near-perfect drape. I’ll tidy up tomorrow. 

In the meantime, I have a query and a request. Does anyone have a pic of how and where the front corners of this top attach to the windshield frame? There is a roof flap for the door(?). I’m not sure how it’s supposed to interact with the door either.
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 9:20pm
Scout P,
Let me know if these help. Do you need any other pics, or info?
Bob

'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 9:31pm
Thank you, Bob. Extremely helpful. When you need to get the doors on please shoot a pic of the top of the door and how it fits in with the top. As long as the weather is cooperating for you don’t do anything special. Unless you get bored. Smile Thanks again.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 9:37pm
Pics 9, 10, and 11 show the door installed. It's still a georgous 65 degrees here with a little daylight left. What else are you needing to see?
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 9:40pm
Sorry I didn’t notice that detail. I need a shot of the top of the door closed. I wish to see how the door fits to the top when in traveling mode. Thanks buddy.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 9:52pm
How's this?

'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 10:14pm
                                         Hug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 11:52pm
Dang.....hope you're not puttin' that new fangled vinyl top on an orignal 2A.....I sure hope it already has the charging system and carburetor changed to a more modern replacement....and what about those brakes!..Wink  LOL LOL

I'd go back with that stinky, leaky canvas for a little heart and conviction..LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2012 at 12:52am
I’m pleased to report that no, it is not an original tub, it’s not the original motor either. When it came to me it had two tail lights and turn signals. The turn signals are gone. It looks like swiss cheese from all the holes that have been drilled in it by PO’s Angry. It had a Solex and an Airtex Angry. Those are banished in favor of an AC mechanical pump I rebuilt Big smile a Carter 636SA I rebuilt  Big smile and a Carter Ceramic filter I refurbished Clap. I replaced the later model Donaldson for a correct Oakley. Its got an alternator Angry. It is 12V Angry. I will put a generator in it and be proper Big smile. The windshield wiper is NOS vacuum Clap. There will be a single manual one on the pax side. The spotlight that is in it is a 1950 model Big smile. I was able fill one of the numerous dashboard holes with a period-correct cigarette lighter receptacle Clap. I ditched the cheapo plastic parking light lenses for glass of the correct shape Big smile. It has a newly refurbished hydraulic 9” shoed brake system Big smile. Its got NDT’s. It’s not the prettiest Jeep around, but it is the closest I can make it to a ’47-48. When the ’46 is finished it will have a replitub, but everything else that counts will be either refurbished or NOS. 

Now Roc, keep me straight. When did the first vinyl soft tops for CJ appear on the market? What was the brand name?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2012 at 1:20am
I'm guessing it was a Kayline, am I right? LOL  Sounds like you're good to go. LOL Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2012 at 10:55am
Over forty years ago Kayline began selling soft tops to CJ2A owners. Unfortunately, Kayline was bought out by STC and now both are kaput. Best Top is a relative newcomer. I wish I could afford the $700.00+ for a classic Beachwood canvas. Then again, there is always the Lottery Wink.

Edited by scoutpilot - 12 Nov. 2012 at 10:57am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2012 at 1:06am
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

Then again, there is always the Lottery Wink.

.........or jpet. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2012 at 3:48pm
The top on my CJ2A was installed in 1974 at the Kayline factory here in Denver. It has been stored most of it's life so it is still in pretty nice condition. I had the windows replaced by a shop three years ago. The windows in the doors are original. It's a Kayline Standard top. They were phasing this model out when my Dad had it installed....he probably got a sweet deal on it.

Just thought you might enjoy a picture....
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2012 at 5:26pm
I love it. Big smile
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2012 at 1:06pm
Lemield,
Nice lookin rig!
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2012 at 1:30pm
Thanks for the compliment Scoutpilot and flattiesrule! :)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
 Post Reply Post Reply