Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What fits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What fits?
    Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 7:50pm
Will a CJ-5 draw bar hitch fit a CJ-2A?

I'm looking for a hitch for my '46. Can't seem to find one down here in Texas....
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 7:54pm
If you can't find an original I have a pattern I made but you'll probably have to have it made in a machine shop because of the bends.

If you can't find one or don't want to make one try Wacks here. http://walcks4wd.com/plate-draw-bar-all-models-with-draw-bars.html

Edited by Carlsjeep - 27 Nov. 2012 at 8:01pm
Life is only as good as you make it.
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 8:02pm
I could use the pattern. I have some of the hitch that was originally welded to the frame of my '46.
I might be able to piece one together.
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 9:43pm
PM sent!
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 10:12pm
If you look at the photo below you can see how the P.O. welded the draw bar hitch to the rear crossmember...

I was forced to cut the hitch arms close to the crossmember (which I replaced). The "arms" have been welded also.
Now I am hoping to repair or replace the hitch.

Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 12:38am
That doesn't look that strong to me. I was able to bend my rear crossmember with a pipe wrench. I have a complete to frame 46. with ball in my storage area. it bolts to your frame. I can dig it out tomorrow and send you a photo. PM me on a price, I will be nice. Need some parts money for my build you know....
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 2:08pm
PM's sent-----thanks guys
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 12:10am
Buckshot,
Here are the photos of the correct draw hitch you need for your jeep. It was removed from a VEC 1946 2A. It has the old 1 7/8 hitch, and plate. What you have pictured is a makeshift of correct parts, and home made hitch plate. It looks like it is welded to your rear cross member. This should be bolted or riveted (as I have seen) to your frame, and rear cross member. I am posting the pics here for others interested in this can see one. I will PM you after I post this. I have a price on shippingThumbs Up
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 2:28am
Just picked one of these up for 20 bucks, it was apparently off a CJ-5 and complete in great shape. Since I don't have a civvy jeep (have an M38A1), the wife asked what I thought I needed one for. Well, it's a valid question for a non-jeep nut, I admit. The explanation of "you just never know when you might need one and I couldn't pass up the deal..." did not impress her.

What's a ballpark figure for one of these before shipping? 
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 2:36pm
Gunner,
The guy I talked to in Dallas was selling his (from a CJ-5) for $35.
I finally realized in order for my PTO to work correctly on the back of my Jeep I need the correct draw bar hitch. The only issue with that is I can't tow my M-416 trailer.... anybody have an idea how to tow a trailer with a pintle hitch behind a Jeep with a rear PTO?
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by buckshot buckshot wrote:

Gunner,
I finally realized in order for my PTO to work correctly on the back of my Jeep I need the correct draw bar hitch. The only issue with that is I can't tow my M-416 trailer.... anybody have an idea how to tow a trailer with a pintle hitch behind a Jeep with a rear PTO?
Duct tape comes to mind LOL

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 3:23pm
You will need to fabricate some sort of bracket to hold your pintle hook....and probably you will have to hitch to the trailer off center on the jeep.   A regular ball hitch would be easier to hook up to, just move the triangle shaped bracket to the nearest holes to the center you can still use.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 4:49pm
I believe the early cj5 hitch setup will fit but there are differences in them over the years so it would not be correct for yours. You might be able to modify it a bit to make it appear correct but it should let you have the pto. Yes, hauling a trailer with the pto and pulley is kind of a pain. ESP with a pintle trailer
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 5:16pm
If not pulling the trailer all the time, I would weld up a 2" square tube receiver that would be bolted to the drawbar.  Then use a 2" square hitch with plate that pintle bolts to.  While not original looking, it is a usable solution.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by buckshot buckshot wrote:

Gunner,
Then it was roughly in the ballpark.

My experience with mil trailers makes me think your M416 rides about where my M100 does. These trailers tend to be, at the lunette, quite a bit higher than a convential hitch, so you need to have the pintle at the correct height on the jeep bumper. I'd think that trying to somehow place a pintle hook down on the civvy tow bar would be putting it way too low. It would cause the lunette to ride poorly in the hook and too much pressure would be placed on the top/movable portion of the hook. Pintles derive their strength from having the lunette ride down on the lower fixed portion. It would look odd too.

I imagine you could probably mount a pintle in addition to the civvy draw bar, just use longer bolts to go through both the hitch and the pintle into the frame. But even if you mount the pintle in the normal position, you still might have trouble with a pintle as you make sharp turns- you could bring the trailer frame or landing leg right into your PTO set up. That cast iron casing would crack easily with that kind of force and leverage acting on it. Then again, it could clear it just fineErmm
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

If not pulling the trailer all the time, I would weld up a 2" square tube receiver that would be bolted to the drawbar.  Then use a 2" square hitch with plate that pintle bolts to.  While not original looking, it is a usable solution.
I bought one of these (and a used pintle hook) for when I want to use the military trailer behind either our Tahoe or Burb. Works well; first time I used it was to bring the M100 trailer home. Use it occcasionally for hauling firewood, etc.
Between the hook and this hitch, cost about 100 bucks. Later, I saw a couple combination set ups for 50 bucks- ready to go- at a 4x4 swap meetOuch
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2012 at 2:32pm
These are some good ideas, thanks for the help.
I have a pintle hook that fits in a reciever type hitch that I found at Tractor Supply.
So I just need to figure out how to attach a piece of 2" square tubing to the back of the Jeep, somewhere, at the correct height, that will miss the rear PTO .......
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2012 at 3:16am
Brian,
I take it you are not interested in the correct original draw bar hitch that I have from a '46 that you need for your jeep.
You never answered my email. Did you get the photos I sent?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>