Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A VIN 16204

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 CJ2A VIN 16204
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2012 at 8:23pm

Hi There!

I'm following this great site for more than a year but have never posted before waiting until I had some progress to show.

During August 2011 I spotted a Craigslist add at ewillys and decided to investigate more about my project to be. After many phone calls and tons of pictures sent by the seller (and the "go ahead" from supreme command) I decided to buy the 1946 CJ2A. The Jeep was in Sacramento, CA and was transported to New Hudson, MI (just across the street from what used to be Cesor Farms...).

It arrived at home by end of October 2011 and I was finally able to see what I had gotten myself into...

I bought the vehicle without a look an'see trip to Sacramento so I had concerns on things that you can't see on pictures. The outcome so far is great, after inspection I could see how preserved and unmolested the vehicle is, has lots of potential to become a nice ride again.

My intention is to bring it back to stock condition.

Enough of talking!

Here are more pics of the work done so far...

It came with Capstan Winch and Read PTO

VIN 16204 ...can it be considered a VEC?

Removing the extra pounds of Sacramento dirt...

Column shift !

After many atempts to get it run I gave up...no compression on #3 and #4...the block is a Willys replacement 4LR gear timing, cylinder head is a late WWII MB

Removing the engine

and 4 months later it was back from the machine shop... .010 on crank and rods, .080 pistons ...ready for final assembly.

Distributor was completly taken apart, new bushes, condensor, braker and a nice Autolite cap

Ok...not completely following the color code but...it is a replacement engine so I decided to get some color under the hood.

MB fuel pump with prime lever...

Engine full dressed.

Next step ...transmission and transfer case... both had water inside so will need lots of work and new parts

I sent my Christmas list to Santa, it has lots of trans parts in it.

Dear Santa!

I need:

- new input shaft, synchronizer, 2nd gear...

I have much more pictures but it takes alot of time to get it to upload...but this is shows how much I was able to do during one year...

Hope to keep up with more updates soon.

Happy Holidays!

porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2012 at 8:32pm
Welcome, nice Jeep looks original to me with winch etc. Please keep pics coming, we all love them!
You are well under way with the project!
Is the tub as good as it looks from the outside?

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2012 at 8:38pm
Welcome to the site. Fantastic start. Gotta love that winch! Just saw a working Braden J2 winch sell for 1425 on ebay the other day. Thumbs Up

Edited by WVCAHILLBILLY - 18 Dec. 2012 at 9:34pm
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
jeepbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 3:34pm

Hi

Thanks for your comments,

The tub is not too bad, there is some repair to be done on the rear panels and on the floor underneath the fuel tank and tool box.

Hat channels are good, dash as well.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 4:11pm
Welcome to the forum! Hug

That is an awesome machine you got there!  Love the patina!  If it were mine, I would not do anything to the tub but if you do can you get plenty of pics first.  I'd like to see some if you have the time. Thumbs Up
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 5:08pm
I find it odd that this beautiful buggy has an MB trailer plug receptacle on the left rear qtr. above the taillight.  Must have been an add on by a previous owner.  As we all know....they were covered with a plate.   I plan to mount one on  my early 46 and wire my T3c to operate from it.  Really cool to see that done ....even years ago!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
jeepbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 5:46pm

Hi Jpet,

I have almost 500 pics of it until now, usually I take pictures before and after of all the parts I restored ...believe me I share and understand your "jeep archeologist" thinking...this is not my first project and I regret not having that same mind set on previous Jeeps that I had restored...you learn and get better! I will try to organize all the photos over the Holidays and burn a DVD for you.

Keep in touch.

Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 6:32pm
I must admit...I´m jealous!!! What a find!!!! Good luck with it, sir!!! 
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 7:24pm
Very nice Jeep to start with!   Welcome,  and thanks for the pics!
WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 8:01pm
Sacramento ? Man I let this one get by me! Only 45 miles from me. Looks like might have original taillight housing also.

Edited by WVCAHILLBILLY - 19 Dec. 2012 at 9:14pm
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2012 at 8:45pm
Tub looks very original to me.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
jeepbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 11:54am

The Jeep is well preserved with original parts, tub number matches with rear gate, chassis number matches with body tag.

Things that are not original: Wheels, windshield, engine and trans...

Engine is a replacement as you could see on previous pictures and the transmission looks to be a late T90A side shift, it has the 4 digit date code instead of the full date found on the early castings. Wheels are a mix between M151s and M38s and the windshield I was told by the seller came from a 1948 donor.

I would like to show a picture of the rear suspension, it has spring helpers: is it original from factory or an aftermarket add on?

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 12:27pm
It would be very interesting to know this Jeeps' history. Very heavy duty rear suspension, multiple hitch points, rear PTO output, trailer electrical socket...this bad boy was set up to do some serious work. Any hole patterns in the bed?
jeepbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 1:06pm

This is getting interesting... there are some patterns at rear bed indicating it had something mounted at the back, 4 holes, 1/2" size, two on the right and two on the left close to the wheel well, I don't believe it is a "New Green" pattern becouse the fixing points for that are more towards the center line. Also there are 2 holes at the lower dash maybe used for hydraulics hoses from the engine bay to the cabin control (my guess).

Another detail to be mentioned is a bracket attached to the front floor panel between the driver and passenger sets...

Regarding the vehicle history, I could not find that much about it other than it was used in an orchard at Sacramento, CA area. The California CMV could not track it to its original buyer. All the documents had to be reissued by that agency.

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 1:15pm
Obviously well cared for, it could have been used to tow a PTO-driven mower. Depending on what crops, e.g., nuts, fruit, etc. it could have pulled a sprayer or a water tanker or a shaker or a tree trimmer. Various and assorted trailers.
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 1:53pm
Never seen a double spring set as this one. Was it a self made farmers' last resort  before they bought a Ford F1? Could you spec the additional springs with the order to Willys?
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2012 at 2:52pm
Those springs were a Willys Authorized accessory.

I can't tell you whether they were installed at the Parkway Plant, the Stickney Plant,  the Accessory plant south of Stickney, or the dealer. Only the original invoise would reveal that detail.

I had them on my 56 CJ5 Tow Truck.
jeepbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 12:00pm

I found a small rivet head at the hat channels, both side of the tub have it.

What is this for? Never notice it in other Jeeps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>