Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Build your own tool site..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Build your own tool site..
    Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 2:37pm
Someone on Metalmeet posted this site and if you want to kill a few hours of time, click the link.

I have an old meat saw , might be doing a metal bandsaw conversion on it after seeing all the ones sucessfully done there. There are machine shop tools, engine and body stands, welding stuff, all kinds of goodies.

I took an old sidebox from a Semi and put four heavy angle iron legs on it, Using some angle I had picked up at the Restore up by Dennis last summer. Now I have a great workbench for the back porch. When it is too cold to work out in the garage I can fire up the woodstove and work in toasty comfort on the back porch. Already built a Poulan chainsaw from two junk ones on it , and when the neighbor boy comes up for his small engine classes we are going to use it for that. (We are rebuilding my VW engine as a first project )

Don't go to the link unless you have time to kill. Big smile
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 3:48pm
Daaaaaaang!!

Thanks for that diversion......something else to do anytime I'm bored. LOL

Great fun!!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 3:57pm
The vehicle vice was the first thing I saw and many times I have thought about making one.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

The vehicle vice was the first thing I saw and many times I have thought about making one.

Great idea for sure but it's kinda already been manufactured (and patented)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 4:18pm
Neat vice but I would probably just buy a yard sale vice and mount it to the bumper or a slide in receiver tube. $159 is a lot to spend on a vice.

A mobile vice is a really useful tool. We have to do minor repairs on our equipment for work, and the trailer with the vice mounted on it gets used frequently to fix the other trailer. If the other trailer isn't around I have to use C clamps and vice grips to hold something to wherever I can clamp it to.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 4:19pm
I was thinking of a piece of 2 x 2 square tube with a plate welded to it and a vice bolted to the plate.  I have a small Warn winch mounted the same way.

My ideal pick-up truck would have a gun rack in the back window with a 4 foot mason's level hanging in it and a vise on the back bumper.Wink

My buddy, a mason, caries such a level.  A few years ago, a couple young punks were going to whip his butt and flagged him down on a back street.  As he climbed out of his truck he noticed that one of the boys had something in his hand that looked like a large padlock.  So, he reached in the truck and pulled out his level to equal the odds.  He wore both those boys out and they got a warrant for him.  A lawyer friend of mine represented him and he had to pay a small fine.  I am sure it was worth every penny he paid!
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

$159 is a lot to spend on a vice.

Very true and I agree......but $40k is alot to spend on a jeep that essentually does the same thing as an old 2A too.....sadly, there is a market for a $159 vice.

A mobile vice is a really useful tool.

One of our original members here, Battlehook, had the first 2A mounted vice I ever saw and I thought it was a neat idea then....it was a small vice mounted to the passenger side corner of the draw bar. (not an ideal place, he admited, but "...it has helped change a few u joints since it's been there")

The one thing about all those receiver hitch mounted accessories is hauling all of them. I constantly think of neat uses for receiver hitches, but you can't carry all of them. Still a good idea though. (I realize ya don't have to carry them)Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 5:32pm
Sadly, All My Vices travel with me!!Embarrassed
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 6:14pm
LOL  LOL  That's a good one..

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Sadly, All My Vices travel with me!!Embarrassed

I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

In my early manhood and in middle life I used to vex myself with reforms every now and then. And I never had occasion to regret these divergencies for, whether the resulting deprivations were long or short, the rewarding pleasure which I got out of the vice when I returned to it always paid me for all that it cost.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

I don't think I can add to that.................................
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 6:18pm
If you have one vice and find another one to take along  is that ... advice you have
Ed
cj2a lefty
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 9:22pm
in the hitch i have a anvil for a cover. i have use a few times. the plates on the truck say ANVIL 1 .
dennis

Edited by dennisanvil - 25 Jan. 2013 at 4:01am
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
KenHMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenHMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2013 at 8:58pm
Hi Guys,

Ken from HomemadeTools.net here.  We appreciate the creativity and ingenious solutions found everywhere builders of homemade tools congregate.

If there's anything you'd like to see featured on our site, just say the word.

Ken
KenHMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenHMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2015 at 7:18pm

Someone on Metalmeet posted this site and if you want to kill a few hours of time, click the link.

Don't go to the link unless you have time to kill. Big smile

Ken here from HomemadeTools.net.

I know this thread is an old one, but thanks for the link! :)

To celebrate our 20,000th homemade tool, we made a new ebook featuring our top 50 homemade tools. You guys are welcome to it for free:

homemadetools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homemadetools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 7:49pm
Hey guys - we have a new free ebook of homemade car tools. Don't click if you hate homemade car tools: 101 Best Homemade Automotive Tools.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 8:24pm
Just to throw in my 2 bits. We have a fabrication guy at work. During the winter he builds and modifys our heavy equipment and especially our paving equipment. Last winter he built a road dolley for our transfer machine (we dump asphalt in it from our trucks and trailers and it feeds the actual paving machine. It allows the machine to almost never stop a stop equals a bump in the new mat) the old one was a scarry mess to drag along behind a dump truck at 40-45 mph It once took me 5 hours to get it home when one of the locks that holds the wheels in alignment when towing broke.

His new machine will go down the road like it was a car trailer at 60 mph.

Anyway along with making the new dolly last winter he set up his own service truck And they put a drop in Vise into the flat bed of the truck. He made the comment that after years of having to deal with a vise on a rear bumper or a stinger where he couldn't get the room to use a hacksaw this was a big improvement.

SO I would suggest if you want a Vise that you can work at and not on your knees you look to raise it up to a work bench height. Just a suggestion.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 9:04pm
I can't tell you how many tools I've made over the years
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I can't tell you how many tools I've made over the years

You can tell us Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply