Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats this grille screen for?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 12:58pm
Is there a winter version that would keep the engine compartment free from cold and snow?
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 1:39pm
On the topic of these chaff screens, I have one for my 3A but have not used it for fear of the screen clips scratching the grill paint. If not during installation then definitely while rattling and vibrating around while driving. What do you guys do to avoid that? Is there a way to use some kind of cloth or rubber insulator so there is no metal-to-metal contact between the grill and the screen clips?
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 2:23pm
No way around the paint damage.  You put it on and leave it on.  The windshield hood hold down is another paint chipper. A Jeep thing. I'll bet the ranchers out in the field were not concerned!Clap John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 3:46pm
At least with the windshield strap you can flip it up under the closed hood to keep it from thrashing around. That's too bad about the chaff screen paint issue. I will probably leave mine off unless I start farming with it....Big smile
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Ryan_M Ryan_M wrote:

On the topic of these chaff screens, I have one for my 3A but have not used it for fear of the screen clips scratching the grill paint. If not during installation then definitely while rattling and vibrating around while driving. What do you guys do to avoid that? Is there a way to use some kind of cloth or rubber insulator so there is no metal-to-metal contact between the grill and the screen clips?

Solution -- coat the metal tabs in tool dip and tape the back edge of the frame.

BTW -  The chaph screen does not rattle. I run my chaph screen year round without any extra protection and have no major paint problems.... and I drive mine a lot.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 5:43pm
It is for a CJ5, I had an exact duplicate of that on my '56 Cj5. I always wondered what the upper bracket were for, water bag makes sense.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12