Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone put a 4.3 GM v6 in a cj2a?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schuesb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone put a 4.3 GM v6 in a cj2a?
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2013 at 10:58pm
I am looking for a motor for my 47 cj2a. I found a 4.3 with a carb.   It has everything with it I just want to know it if will fit without cutting the firewall or fenders etc.   gas anyone done this? Want to keep the T90. The jeep has a spring over conversion as well.   

Or if anyone has a Buick 225 I'm interested!!!!

Thanks
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 12:33am
I have a 4.3 in my '47 with an SM420 4spd behind it. I assume the engine you are looking at is likely a 1985 or 1986 with the tall intake manifold with a Rochester Quadrajet 4bbl on it? You will run into hood closing issues with that intake right off the bat. Do you have stock steering? If so, the engine 'might' clear your steering box/ pitman arm/ draglink. Because mine is now 2 wheel drive only, i was able to position my engine/tranny so that it does clear the stock steering setup better. As for exhaust, i used a pair of headers made for an S10 pickup, the passenger side one was left alone but i had to extensively modify the driver side one to make it clear the steering box. You should not have issues with fender clearance. I run the HEI distributor from an '85/'86 4.3 because they can be adapted to run without the aid of a computer. My engine sits back far enough that i can run the stock '47 (reproduction) radiator in it's original position with an electric fan on the engine side. I did not cut the firewall. One nuisance you will run into with using a 4.3 is that you'll wind up using an 11" clutch because these engines use a one piece rear main seal, they are internally balanced and the only standard flywheel you can get uses an 11" clutch, so clutch linkage will wind up most likely a trial and error exercise, it was for me. You will need a bellhousing for an 11" clutch.
Long story short: this is not a simple bolt in operation. Because you want to keep the T90, i would suggest you check out Novak Adaptors, they can provide you with all the parts needed to do this swap.

I will post some pics for you shortly on here of mine.

Edited by jeep4752 - 18 Jan. 2013 at 12:40am
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2013 at 12:51am

The reproduction rad cools this engine really well. I also set this engine up to run hot on purpose: to help cut emissions. No, i'm not a greenie/tree hugger, it's because we have 'Emission's cops' around here that like to pull over older vehicles looking for ones with newer engines in them. Anyways, i have a 195* thermostat in it, this little stock style rad and i run a catalytic convertor on it too. The electric fan is 1730cfm i believe. It is positioned on the drivers side for two reasons: one because thats the only place it will fit on the backside and two it's inline with both the inlet and outlet of the rad. Believe it or not this fan will keep this engine cool on the hottest/ most humid of days in our summer here, it has never overheated. Even with that much of the rad core exposed!

Edited by jeep4752 - 18 Jan. 2013 at 1:01am
Flat fenders forever!
Donald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2019 at 10:10pm
any issues with wiring, oil pan fit or body mods ? Any particular donor vehicles ? I have a 48 cj2 with no engine. 225 and 231 prices for blocks are unreasonable !
Don
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2019 at 12:52am
 Donaid we put a 4.3 in Rojo a couple of years ago. It was a Vortec so things are slightly different, but we did not cut the firewall. We also used a t-18 tranny. Dauntless is probably easier but the 4.3s are a great motor. 

CJ2A Build Deadline FCT 2017 

This is the build thread. 
Good luck, keep us posted. 
Fuzz
 Post Reply Post Reply