Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2A
    Posted: 18 Feb. 2022 at 12:41am
G'day all .. First post in a long time. Finally fitted a spare wheel on the lefty. Had to wait to find the right 2A type of rim . 

Guys also looking for 8 acorn nuts for the tailgate. Have also posted request in the I want to Buy section

Thanks 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 2:07am
Looked for cracks in the block - no issues found. We use a method of creating wooden blocks that block the passages on the head and checks for cracks in the block. 

So suspected the issue in the head , that looked ok too - Pressure tested it - no leaks 

So what we guess and hope is that we never machined the head and perhaps some water went through via the gasket though this is just guess work and we will have to monitor it over time 

Rust on the underside of the head 

Carrying out minor repairs. Had noticed these during the earlier re build but did not feel the need to meddle with it. Now taking no chances 

Tools used to create the taps 

Mechanic had prepared the head using a flat glass and emery paste during the rebuild. Never thought we needed to machine it. 

Machined head. 

We will also use the thinner cork type gasket instead of the metal gasket that I imported from the US (though probably not Made in USA) 

Hoping for the best but will need to monitor for water. Lesson is to keep starting the Jeep. Otherwise the ethanol will gum up the carb and cause moisture issues in the engine (though this massive leakage was not caused by ethanol in the fuel) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 1:45am
We suspected it was coming via the inlet. All the water was from Cylinder # 2 

Engine head removed 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 1:33am

Water on the floor 

Fearing the worst at this point 

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 1:32am
Yep, it sounds like you are having more than one problem.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 1:24am
So this update is not a positive one. 

The root cause of the issue i faced , i suspect is ethanol. The Indian government has been using ethanol / gasoline combination whereby the ethanol proportion has been increasing causing many issues to old vehicles in general 

So what happened my brother drove the 2A almost every day in winters , which are not biting cold (around 35 - 37 F most nights) but there is a lot of fog and moisture in the air. 

As it got colder, he parked the Jeep for 15 days and when he tried to start it again , the engine would not crank and the pistons were frozen. 

We initially thought it was the starter motor but that was not the case. 

Asking around , people said ethanol fuel has creates moisture within the engine which if not burnt off with regular running can sometimes cause issues. That with the combination of the moist air and night driving caused the problem. 

So we removed the spark plugs, put a lot of 2T oil and let it settle , and moved the jeep back and forth and suddenly the pistons were lose after 2-3 days. 

Fixed the starter motor , and the Jeep started in the first attempt. Silent running engine and suddenly , water gushes out of the engine block. 

Stop the Jeep and take it to the work shop 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 6:03am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Great to see you're still at it.  Always enjoy your posts.

Cheers. Will post more. Am researching on where I can buy the hardware for a canvas top (as per the JPET post)  before I attempt to build one. Still need to build vacuum wiper motor and attach it... . 6 Volt Conversion (the biggest job) . Steel fuel lines to be fabricated and added under the hood... and the list goes on ....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Nice work.  I'm sure your location brings all kinds of challenges that we here in the States don't even realize.  

Thank You. Yes it does. I mean just shipping a mid 48 2A generator to Canada was so expensive. From there it travelled to my home on an international flight at the cost of my brother not taking any clothes with him Smile

One kind soul sold me that generator for only $30.

But it has been a challenge. However with the support of many we plug on.

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 3:16am
Great to see you're still at it.  Always enjoy your posts.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:27pm
Nice work.  I'm sure your location brings all kinds of challenges that we here in the States don't even realize.  
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

At a famous eating out joint where sumptuous meat dishes are served 

"The Payoff" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 11:29am

At a famous eating out joint where sumptuous meat dishes are served 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 8:30am

No Go Pro but managed with the mobile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 8:22am
G'Day Gents.

Hope everyone has kept well during these rather tumultuous times.
Been a long time since my last update.

Due to the spread of COVID 19 , was not able to travel much and make any progress with the Lefty. The next big thing, was to convert to 6 volts and work on the detailing and finally get working on the canvas (the JPET thread is a real inspiration)  but with businesses shut nothing got done.

However Jeep was driven regularly and we enjoyed it heaps. Since the 2A is kind of winding down I also got a September 42 Matching Numbers GPW project which will need heaps of parts and work.

Some photos

The 3B style light will be changed but still searching for a CM hall reflector. If anyone can help, please let me know.

If anyone has spare GPW parts and would like to sell , please ping me. All help appreciated.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 4:48am
Fitted the dash light. Works quite well. The cheap after market Fuel gauge will be replaced when i convert it to 6V. 

The King Seeley Gauge  gauge will also be replaced with the correct 2A speedometer now that i have found the speedometer wire. 

Will also eventually replace the faded ammeter gauge which is a Slat Grill 30 - 30 gauge with the correct 50 - 50 one. 

The 50 - 50 type hardly registered any reading (6v gauge on a 12 v set up) but the 30 - 30 showed readings and came with the Jeep so i kept it as is for the time being. 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 26 Feb. 2020 at 4:50am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2020 at 4:46am
Ok .. It has been some time since the last update so get ready !! 

Fitted a new gearbox mount. It is from an Indian Jeep so it would work with a check nut. But originals had cotter pins so we had to make our own custom one 

Drilled and fitted the cotter pin. 

This was the tired old mount that was replaced. I am hoping that this can be refurbished. Let's see if it is worth the effort. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 5:52am
Yes, that Jeep looks great!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2020 at 4:21am
Thanks Guys. Will keep sharing other progress pictures. But man it is great to have it back home. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>