Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2A
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 9:08am
Hello fellow Forum Members

I recently discovered a relativey untouched CJ2A in Punjab , India. This is quite a rare occurance for the following the reasons : - 1. Not many CJ2A jeeps made it to India. 2. The ones that made it to India often ended up with modifications and Diesel engines as Diesel is a subsidized fuel in India.

I found this jeep quite by chance. I have been searching for a MB and a GPW for some time. While searching for them i came across this and decided to buy it.

I must confess that as i write this , i have not read much about the CJ2A and most of my studies have focused on the WW2 Jeeps. I plan to research about the Jeep to the best of my ability and would request my fellow forum members to assist me in the restoration as they deem fit. This will be my first restoration of any vehicle.  

The paper work suggests that this is a 1948 CJ2A but that is not always totally reliable. At the moment i dont have the serial number to estimate a DOD , neither have a i been able to look at the toeboard gusset. Unfortunately the Frame # plate is missing.

The restoration will be a bit sporadic as i am working in Melbourne. I look forward to continued support as and when i work on the Jeep

Regards

Richie
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 9:10am
Please find attached some images of the Jeep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 9:14am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 9:23am

Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 2:20pm
Welcome to the forum, you'll find tons of experience and guidance here from a very helpful crowd.

Looks like a great find and a very good starting point. From what you described it looks to be a very rare vehicle in your part of the world. What are your plans for it, back to factory fresh, trail rig, daily runner?

Rory
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 10:09pm
Wow nice find! I always feel a bit sorry for you foreign guys.....your job is always so much harder. You are lucky to be starting with such a complete vehicle. Good luck with it. Big smile
I suppose it's like me finding a Mahindra jeep in Kansas and looking forward to the ease of obtaining parts..........................

Edited by damar2yxr - 23 Jan. 2013 at 10:13pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2013 at 3:32am
Hi Rory - The plan is to make it factory fresh. I have to take an inventory of all the things I have and then work out all the things i need. I am planning for a frame up job. The cost of the missing original parts will be the biggest impediment. Though once it is ready , the plan is to use it regularly. 

Hi Damar - You are quite right. It is hard especially these days as people with deep pockets are suddenly interested in owning such vehicles and this has driven the prices really high. Most MBs and GPWs cost around three times as much the ones found in U.S.A. 

Same for CJ2A. Though i do not have many reliable indicators because as I mentioned earlier , there are not many to be found in India , to arrive at a costing estimate . I just hope that i find parts that are original. I aspire to have a PTO once the Jeep is ready. 

PS - Good one about the Mahindra. But in a land of plentiful Jeeps - you would not want a Mahindra :P 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 12:29pm
Some further updates on the Jeep - Body # tag is CJ2A 176745 and the Casting # is 641087 - 

I have looked at http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

but still not sure about the approximate DOD - Will update more as a dig deeper

porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 3:45pm
Left hand steering left hand drive? Welcome to the forum!

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2013 at 4:43am
Hello All - Small update - While i don't plan to start working on the Jeep before September , I decided to get a few things done. 

Removed the Carter - it was just jammed shut - To "un jam" it , dipped it in scalding hot water and then slowly opened parts and cleaned with petrol.  - Took a long time to open it - Packing was stuffed and the seals were kaputt. Hard to get parts in India but with the help of my trusted mechanic found packing that was thin enough to get into the carb. 

Worked on Distributor (cleaned points etc) as well as Cleaning the fuel pump. 

But after 5 hours of or so of cleaning - was able to start the Jeep - First time in 2 years and probably the second time in the last 5 years

The "workshop"  is still out in the open

Looked for a Tailgate ACM - Unfortunately could not find one - so i am guessing that it is a replacement tailgate (or the serial number tag found on the Jeep is incorrect) 
Used a thinner to remove the paint slowly , but to no avail. 

Fuel tank has still not been cleaned yet. But the clutch looked fine and the transmission shifted very smoothly. Drove it a few meters back and forth.  Used a gas can and started the jeep by taking fuel from that. 

Bought a bigger fuel line so that i can actually drive it outside. 

Regards

Richie 

Tjp176 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tjp176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2013 at 8:36pm
Sounds great! It's a great looking jeep keep up the good work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 5:39am
Good Day Gents. I thought i will add some more photos since it has been ages since my last update. With me living in Australia and Jeep being in India , it is a complicated job. 

Every time i visit my home town i want to drive the Jeep rather than do the needed job. This time i finally bit the bullet 

Attaching some photos of the tub 

Hat Channel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 5:44am
Some more photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 5:50am
Hat Channel Repair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 5:52am
Adding Wood to the hat channels 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 5:53am
The Finished Hat Channels 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 10:21pm
Some General body repair photos 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 10:31pm
Replacement floor - Driver side. The floor was very patchy with small repair works done so replaced it with for longevity. Thought very hard about - Original metal vs Long term ease - and reluctantly went for the latter (i still regret my decision though Cry)

Replacement Floor Passenger Side 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>