Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:09am
Some Battery Tray repairs
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 2:10pm
I enjoy reading your build thread, thank you for sharing... I find it really amazing how our common love for these vehicles can link us together from across the globe. Keep up the good work Thumbs Up
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2018 at 5:22am
I wouldn't have noticed that the rear shock mount was fabricated if you hadn't pointed it out.  Nice work!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 12:41am
Thank you all for your words of encouragement - Some more work done - fixing the bumper which had 2 of the long rivets missing on both ends. The bolts that go in the front could not be saved. I had to put new ones - something that i did not like - Straightening bits , fixing rust around where the crank handle goes and cleaning the rear differential on the outside - did see the original black for the first time 

The newly added "rivet" accompanying the original one which has a nice WO marking on top

Will clean this up with careful grinding but i doubt it can be hidden completely 

Had to scrape away years of gunk to get it to this shape. Brake lines look ok to me. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

Had to scrape away years of gunk to get it to this shape.

They're all like that.  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 7:16am
Frame , Diffs and Battery Tray painted. I just realized that my battery tray is a bubba job. It dos not look close to what the original one was like and has been welded - 

Now getting an original one in India would be next to impossible.  I will try and source the right battery tray if we cannot fabricate it. Can anyone share the measurements please? 

Anyway - photos below. The job is quite good .. just that the bright sunlight prevents a good view. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 7:32am
I will post more photos when the Frame gets home.. I also forgot that the pintle on the Jeep is F marked so have to replace it with the MB/2A type T62X marking pintle. 

if any one has EC bolts for the Pintle, i would be interested.

Thanks 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

Had to scrape away years of gunk to get it to this shape.

They're all like that.  LOL

So True. Using your hands it takes ages. . . the wrist hurts i must say !! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 8:30am
Your battery tray looks like a nicely-done homemade job.  All it lacks is some means to hold the battery down--that is, if the fender can go on without interference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Your battery tray looks like a nicely-done homemade job.  All it lacks is some means to hold the battery down--that is, if the fender can go on without interference.

I was mortified by the shape. It does not look close to what a genuine tray looks like. Cry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 10:19am
The Frame finally arrived home. Work will stop for the next few months as temperatures will soon nudge between 104 F to 115 F in the summer months almost on daily basis followed by a couple of months of 90% plus humidity 

A bit hard to work out in the open. We believe we have 3-4 months of work left before the final dash to the finish line. I will hopefully try to collect some parts in the ensuing months so that there is no major stoppage 

Sharing some photos

Frame Arrives

Making use of the crane - avoided lifting this with using "human power"

Engine under wraps 

The Bricks and mortar storage shed

Transmission - old scooter along it - Vespa Sprint built under license - my first two wheeler Smile

tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 12:10am
Just joined the forums and came across this story.  What an amazing work of passion and love.  Fantastic.  Please keep posting. I love the story.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 12:44am
I would like to see the rest of that tow truck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

Just joined the forums and came across this story.  What an amazing work of passion and love.  Fantastic.  Please keep posting. I love the story.

Thank You for your kind words of encouragement 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I would like to see the rest of that tow truck!

Not very confident if i took the photo of the truck but will try to get one .. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:19am
Hello All - Been some time since i posted my last update 

Weather is much more bearable and work has commenced again 

Sharing some photos 

Removal of Head Gasket 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:26am
The Engine Head had a crack which was filled up with a sealant. I was fortunate enough to secure a 2A Head in Australia - One difference in both was Intake and Exhaust of 016 (the original head) vs a 014 on the Replacement head 

Replacement Head after being pressure tested - The plate at the bottom had been removed when i took this photo. All these plates were a custom job since no one has a Willys Jeep in town 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 10 Dec. 2018 at 11:16am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:28am

Engine Serial Number - I believe it is in the right range to be the Original 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>