Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MDJuan Tubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MDJuan Tubs
    Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 10:58am
Hello,

I'm Rommel Juan of MDJuan. 

FYI. Here's our latest ad for people who need Jeep tubs.

Edited by RommelJuan - 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:28pm
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:01pm
Hi Rommel, cool name by the way! Just my .02 on MdJuan tubs. While I and many other appreciate that you guys still make these, I think t you'd sell many more if they were actually correct reproductions. I've heard so many stories about these that I don't think I could ever buy one. Did you know that an original windshield does not fit your tubs? I had a repro hood from you guys for a while that was 1/2 narrower in the back than the stock hood. These are just two examples.

Just food for thought. I think if you made them more accurate, you may even be able to get more out of them.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:04pm
I foresee this is going to be an interesting thread.  I just hope Mr Juan takes it all in.
RommelJuan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:09pm
Hi Bob,

Are talking about our CJ2a tubs? We have a very original CJ2A in the plant which we use as a guide.
I'll check the windshield fit tomorrow.

Do you know what was the year of production of the tub that did not fit? We have fixed many problems in recent years.

Thanks for the comment though. We always welcome comments and suggestions that can improve our products to help the Jeep community restore their beloved Jeeps.

Best,
Rommel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:10pm
Hi Bretto,

We intend to :)

Rommel
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:27pm
Some of the more obvious missing pieces include top bow brackets, gas tank strap bracket, missing "jeep" script on the tool box. That being said the tub I purchased worked pretty well. I bought a kit which included all the body components except grill. Willys Overland had taken an MD Juan tub and had reworked the tub by drilling all the "correct" holes, inserting crush sleeves etc. This was all done to "guarantee" an exact fit. Exact---no. Pretty close though. That was about 15 years ago so hopefully more improvements have been made.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:44pm
Hi Rommel,

Welcome to the forum. I think it is very good that you joined the forum as you will find that many members here use your products.

I am thinking that the number 1 problem with the CJ2A tub is that the location of the transmission tunnel is off and it has been standard practice by the end customer to relocate the opening.   Perhaps one of the members here can post an example.

Secondly, the profile of the cowl does not always match that of an original windshield. The common advise here on the forum has been, if you are going to buy a new tub that you should also buy the reproduction windshield.

I am traveling or I would post some examples and links to prior conversations. Help me out guys.

Again, looking forward to working with you and I hope we can resolve some issues. I have one of your MB full body kits but I have not used it yet.

I also think there would be a market for replacement tool indent panels if you were to make them.

Edited by jpet - 08 Feb. 2013 at 1:46pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:02pm
Hi Rommel,  You are at the right place if you're looking to improve your products!  It took me lots of work to get my tub to sit correct on the frame and line up for installation.  The transmission hump was a real problem, at least 5cm off.  My ability to use original hood, fenders, windshield and tailgate where a very big challenge getting them to work with your tub.  Many other little things, but overall I have been very pleased with your product.  If you could correct the "major" flaws, you would probably increase your sales...and reputation.  I'm just glad I had the option!  Keep up the improvements!  I think you'll get good feed back here.   

Perhaps you could tell me when this one was manufactured, and how or what you have changed since this period of tubs.   Like I said, overall I was pleased with the product, but you could improve it even more if you want to!

Thanks for coming to this site and being open to read and understand the comments made.

Edited by ricco79 - 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:30pm
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:02pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:04pm
Welcome Rommel,

I used on of your CJ2A tubs but I had to have your good customer at Willys Overland in Toledo Ohio Tweak it on a jig to make it fit correctly.  I watched his employee make the changes, drill the holes etc.,  Probably took him less than an hour.  I would think that a few minor production changes would reduce the time to a few seconds.  Then you would be exporting true "bolt on" tubs.

Thank you for considering my suggestions.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:06pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:11pm
Thanks for all the comments guys. I will discuss all of this with our team and have an update for all of you by next week. But please keep them coming. We will take note of them one by one.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:38pm
http://cj3apage.com/forum-yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1356748416
Another recent project. I sent you a PM over on the g 503 board with some comments.

Perhaps a set of jigs similar to what the Toledo guys use should be used in your factory? It seems obvious to the end user there needs to be a way of checking fit before the tub leaves your factory.

IF you do do the improvements needed PLEASE do something to identify those tubs as the new model. A date code stamped in somewhere and a serial number would be an ideal solution. Perhaps a bonded on ID plate on the underside of the cowl might be a good idea.

Real Ecoat primer or the option to get a tub in bare steel would save the expense of media blasting a new tub. Complaints about your primer quality and adhesion are common.

How large are your presses used to stamp tub pieces out with? Some folks have discussed your production methods as a bunch of guys swinging hammers over wooden forms, and others claim you have modern presses similar to what is used in Detroit....can you tell us about your plant?

Thank you for opening the discussion. It could be a turning point for your products. These civillian jeeps are no longer the stepchild of the jeep world, and Cj2A and 3A owners are every bit as fussy as the military guys when it comes to being correct and right, as well as proper fit. It is no longer Jed and Bubba just trying to keep that old jeep on the road. Now the jeep gets critiqued and shown at national shows, wher guys with tape measures crawl underneath and check obscure features. Add to that the fact that WIllys liked to change stuff without telling anyone, and we are discovering features that changed over the years previously unknown, and you may have a similar chart of body tub features to the one  WWII guys have.

Edited by F Bill - 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:01pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jamesholden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 2:50pm
cheaper to buy original junk tub, mig, plasma and learn then buy repo and have to learn metalworking anyway. there really isnt alot of bends in most rust problem areas anyway. amazing what a mig and grinder will do. an original will always fit a repooo will not. i like the repos with the hat chanels tacked in wrong spots, makes real nice for mounts. have noticed most u.s. sheet metal is coming from dubai, cant win

sam forced me to edit. so i took the word junk out. stick to all comments and have experienced many juan tubs. thank you

james

Edited by jamesholden - 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:12pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by jamesholden jamesholden wrote:

cheaper to buy original junk tub, mig, plasma and learn then buy repo junk and have to learn metalworking anyway. there really isnt alot of bends in most rust problem areas anyway. amazing what a mig and grinder will do. an original will always fit a repooo will not. i like the repos with the hat chanels tacked in wrong spots, makes real nice for mounts. have noticed most u.s. sheet metal is coming from dubai, cant win

james

See what I mean about the reputation your products have? Wink James is not the only one with opinions like this. He may be blunt,but honestly that is what many folks think of your tubs. On the other hand, a MD juan tub from today is a far cry from what we had available to us in the early 70's. I have a 3A tub in my garage right now that is an incredibly poor copy of the real thing, and thin metal has all but evaporated away in the floor pan.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the satisfaction from getting a cheap price fades away."

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:04pm
We can make the jigs. Just help us identify the corrections to be made.

Serial numbers are no problem, we have been putting them on our tubs. So we can just inform people what number the improvements start with.

We have various machine presses. the biggest is 1200 tons where we stamp the rims, the floorings, the hoods, fenders and other big stuff.

I'll post pictures of our plant here so you can hav an idea.

here are some pictures that our french dealer Jeep Village took last year when they visited us.

http://www.jeepvillage.com/index.php?mmond=1&contat=1&entry=205&crtcat=79&crtcur=0&SelAt=0

here are some videos that show the plant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdUYcJvvno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnweiJWOcPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRnk36S23g

Just please forgive me for the cheesy interviews )

Rommel

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:07pm

I see this thread as a golden opportunity to improve a product that there is definately a market for.

Lots of people don't have the fab skills to fix an original and metal/body work costs can take off in a hurry.

This will always be a debate but ultimately it will be the owners choice.

Jpet, just to name one has proven here time and time again that reverse engineering parts can be done very accurately.

I hope Mr Juan doesn't make the mistake I see out of most management I deal with....the mistake of 'we are the all knowing' then come to the masses and say 'here's what we've done now you fix it to give us satisfaction'.  If they had just asked the proper questions before (instead of being all knowing) they wouldn't have had to have us 'fix' their screwup.

I think this is a great opportunity.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
scottydg911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottydg911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2013 at 3:15pm
I would suggest that a factory rep might want to visit Willys Overland. I would think with the volume of corrections they do to these tubs, It would give them quite a leg up on the problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>