Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wiring harness routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmcld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiring harness routing
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 1:07am
I got a new wiring harness today and was really disapointed to find out that there are no pictures showing the routing of the harness. My 2A didn't have any wiring on it when I got it, so I have no idea of where the harness origionally was. Does anyone have any pictures of how their wiring harness is run?
Jim
mikewings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikewings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 10:40am
Jim,

You can start here.. there are some really good posts here and elsewhere on the wiring..

Mike Willey
Oakland, Maine
1947 CJ2A. SN 86307
jimmcld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmcld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 2:21pm
Thanks, I've looked at all the wiring posts, however, none of them show exactly where the wires run on the tub and fenders. I can hook it up, I just need a model to go by on positioning everything because all the wire clips and everything that was made to hold the harness is gone.
Jim
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 5:23pm
This thread and the one linked in it might help you a little.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 5:37pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jimmcld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmcld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 6:31pm
Thanks Stan. That's more what I've been looking for. I don't know why my search didn't bring those up, except that you found "wire harness" and I searched for "wiring harness". Oh well, these will help. I would still like to find something showing where the main harness plugs into the rear harness. It may just be Walck's harness, but there is a plug where the two come together on this one and I can't figure out if it should go inside the tub or outside the tub. I haven't been able to find a picture that even shows this plug.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 7:24pm
Jim,
I struggled with that same issue when I installed my Walcks harness as well. Their drawing was a bit sketching and I had to ponder it and try a couple of options to make it work. Keep in mind that I was just trying to get my rig running and not make it "original".  I'll try and remember to take a photo of how I handled mine tonight when I get home from work.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 10:38pm
Here's a few photos of my wiring under the hood. I just went by where the old stuff was and what I could find in photos and charts on this site. Once again, going for driver, not restoration. (Ignore the blue wire coming out of the vacuum hose. That goes to my electric wiper motor, but goes up through the old vacuum lines and routing.)

Edited by smfulle - 08 Mar. 2013 at 10:53pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jimmcld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmcld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2013 at 12:13am
Thanks Stan. I can see that you had some of the same problems. Walck's has a great website but their technical writing skills leave a little to be desired. The wires look great but the instructions are definately lacking.

Jim
Jim
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2013 at 12:25pm
I had zero problems with my wiring harness from Walcks. I just laid it all out and it was very easy for me to see where all the parts go and how to run it. I don't think I even used the diagram they send.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
mikewings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikewings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 4:10pm
I know this only part of the answer but also useful reference info on firewall and panel routing

Dash wiring

Edited by mikewings - 12 Mar. 2013 at 4:16pm
Mike Willey
Oakland, Maine
1947 CJ2A. SN 86307
 Post Reply Post Reply