Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My winter project- unknown year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My winter project- unknown year
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2013 at 11:55am
Roadcruzer:

I would tell you that if this trailer has been in your family that long and you have it now and its restored, I would tell you to please keep it.  It would be nice if you could find old pictures of your dad or family or even you with this trailer back in the day.  From the pictures you shared, the trailer looks straight and minor to no dings in it.  Maybe the paint is covering them LOL.  Really, your trailer looks very sharp :).

Have you taken a look at my build/restoration.  it is under "Your Project" too and is under canorisa.  Search for it and let me know what you think.  Believe it or not I have way too much money invested in it to sell.  NOT THAT I WANT TO SELL but just saying.  Put too many man hours and money to sell it now, you know.  As it is, the trailer is sitting nice and dry and out of the elements inside my storage till I get back home.  But that won't be till later this year so it sits in there.  It sucks cause I truly want to drive my Jeep and tow my trailer but oh well, that's the way it goes some times.

In the mean time, I am very interested in seeing more pictures of your top.  Thanks for the description you gave.  But I'm more of a has to see it with his own eyes type of guy you know.  Not too mechanically inclined, if you know what I mean.  What type of paint did you used on your trailer?  Anyways, minor details my friend.

Take care and please do write back,

b/r,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Roadcruzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadcruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 12:49am
Thanks Joel. I have not come across the title yet, that would be a blessing! On top I used 3/4" exterior plywood. 3/4 " sits on top of the post holder brackets on the inside of the trailer and is almost the perfect height to be level wi th the top metal frame. I had to raise the front a little using cut 2x4's in the front 2 post holders to make it a little taller. the sides or edges and middle strips are treated lumber 2x4's I cut to fit around the top bars creating a "groove" you might say.. I made special brakets for the back that hold the tailgate very tight to the plywood. I was almost thinking i should put a pair of the tailgate shocks or lifts on it to help hold it up.  Not really sure if I want to sell it. It will be a headturner!gate very tight to the plywood also out of trated lumber with thumb screws. I need to place foam on the inside if the groved front and sides, and put something to overlap where the talegate meets the plywood and then I think this will be about wateproof when hauling down the road, 
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 1:46pm
Roadcruzer:

Nice trailer.  Too bad about the tail light and data plate.  have you had any luck in finding it?  You said that it has been in your family for years.  Does it have a title on it?  Maybe the data plate ID or serial number is on the title.

Very nice trailer.  Since is all original and all, I would venture to estimate your trailer at a low $800 to a high of $1200 to $1500 but that's just me guessing.  It could be worth more or less.  See what others think first.

What did you make your top out of?  Just curious?  Any more detail pics of the top you have on your trailer?  

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Roadcruzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadcruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 1:17am
Hi All, Thought I would show you what I have been working in this winter. This trailer was my Dad's which had been sitting outside behind his garage not used for probably 30-40 years. It was sandblasted about 30 years ago and I painted it when I was younger for him. I did not realize what this trailer was until I acquired it from him years later and found our it is an older Bantam trailer, Unfortunatley when I was a kid i took off the lights and serial number tag and never put them back on. I found the light, which I understand is a pretty rare find but could not figure out what this older looking light was for so I sold it at a yard sale for $5.00. After I started investigating this trailer I realized that was the frikkin light for this trailer. Oh well, live and learn. 
Thought I would get your comments on what you think I could get out of this. Hard to believe how solid this trailer is from all the years sitting. He did have a couple pieces of plywood on top of it help keeping it dry.  I made the topper to seal when closed to pretty much me water tight. I have a few more things to do on it before i call it complete. Here is a few pics.  What you all think it is worth?  

Thanks!
Big smileDave
 Post Reply Post Reply