Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48 CJ2A
    Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 2:42am
Well here is my 48 CJ2A project.  Picked this up yesterday and got it in my shop today.  It will most likely be a slow build as cash allows.  First I have to finish up dads model 60 that you can see the nose of in the pics.  At least this willys will give me the kick in the pants I needed to get the tractor out of the shop!
On the trailer
In the shop
Found this in a pouch in the half cab.  It came out of CO at one point.
Looks to be fairly complete.  Still has the original wiring harness in it.

First thing im going to do is rig up a temp wiring harness to at least do a compression test to see what im working with.  It was supposedly running when they quit using it.  (heard that one beforeLOL)  My plan is to have a finished rig that will be used riding back roads and light wheeling.  Im not sure yet on the tub.  Ill have to get the top off and send it to the blaster.  I hate to spend the money getting it blasted only to find that its worse off than I think but thats the only way to really know.
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 3:13am
From what I can see, you have quite a solid platform compared to mine.  Looks good.  Not much salt used in CO.  My first CJ2A in WY in 82 was solid and no rust.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 3:14am
Body looks solid around drain holes.  You won't find that in the east.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 12:15pm
That looks like a great project... good luck!
Jim
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Ryan_289 Ryan_289 wrote:

Well here is my 48 CJ2A project.  Picked this up yesterday and got it in my shop today.  It will most likely be a slow build as cash allows.  First I have to finish up dads model 60 that you can see the nose of in the pics.  At least this willys will give me the kick in the pants I needed to get the tractor out of the shop!
On the trailer

In the shop

What model Deere do you have sitting in there??Cool
Keith
My Project
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 1:44pm

The only rot that I can see so far is the front and rear floors.  Transmission tunnel looks ok so that may just be a patch panel job.  Rear floor is toast and will need total replacement.  Its only got a few spots on the outside that have rusted through.  Most of these are where there is bracing inside the tub.  I did pull the sn tag and that is the original color.  Im almost convinced that its wearing original paint.

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by w114kav w114kav wrote:

[QUOTE=Ryan_289] What model Deere do you have sitting in there??Cool
Its an early 50s model "60"  Power steering, independant PTO, 3 point hitch.  Ive got to take care of a couple of leaks and the base tractor will be ready to paint.  Then finish the sheetmetal and paint that.
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by w114kav w114kav wrote:

[QUOTE=Ryan_289] What model Deere do you have sitting in there??Cool
Its an early 50s model "60"  Power steering, independant PTO, 3 point hitch.  Ive got to take care of a couple of leaks and the base tractor will be ready to paint.  Then finish the sheetmetal and paint that.

Awesome!
Keith
My Project
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 7:24pm
Looks great!  There is a couple of us in Springdale and Bentonville.  Send me a PM I am trying to start an Arkansas Flat Fender Club, so far just 4 interested.  I come down to Russellville to participate in the fall CASI Chili Cook-off, maybe we could meet and I could check out your project. 

Thanks for sharing,

Marty Williams

1946 CJ2A #72643

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 7:53pm

That is cool. I also found a registration from the '70's in my half-cab in a pouch hanging from the rearview mirror.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 2:54am

hooked up the starter straight to the battery tonight to get compression results.

No oil
#1 87psi
#2 107 psi
#3 97 psi
#4 107 psi
Put oil in number 1 and 3
#1 105 psi
#3 97 psi 

I suspect either stuck or worn rings in #1.  Maybe a valve setting on number 3?  Im still considering wiring it up with a temparary harness to see if I can get it to run.  Probably not without a carb kit but worth a shot.
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 3:10am
That doesn't seem too bad.  Mine were 95, 105, 105, 105.  I did get a carb kit and did a rebuild.  Got my kit from Advance Auto.  It did not have all the jets and such but did the job. 

It is a busy Carb.  So make notes when you take it apart.  I had to google a carb rebuild to put mine back together.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
drews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 11:27pm
Where that jeep came from is where I'm from, La Junta, Colorado. Pretty Awesome to be from a small town!!!
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2013 at 3:54am

Not much progress so far but at least one success!  I dug up the old steering wheel puller I fabbed up about 9 years ago when I started tearing down my m38.  Dont laugh at the conglomeration of bolts and "spacers"  It was what I could scrounge up at the time and when I finished with it I just left it as is.  (if it aint broke dont fix it ehSmile)

The tube has a small split where the seam is right under the bearing housing.  It was there before I started pulling the steering wheel.  Im hoping I can just weld it back up and the bearing fit tight.  We will see.
Most of my time has been devoted to dads 60 John Deere.  As soon as I get the new pto housing(old one was cracked and leaking) put back together Ill be able to paint the body.  Then get the sheet metal blasted and painted.  Dad wants if for a local festival parade in June so the heat is on!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2013 at 11:32am
Looks like the Jeep is in very good condition compared to most! What is the Body Tag number? Are the Body Tag screws Phillips or slotted head?

Thanks,
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2013 at 1:27am
Got the top off.  Had to grind every dang one of the screws holding it on off.

I was hoping to find less rust.  There is rust on most panels behind the supports and top bow pockets.  Im afraid im going to have to replace the entire back panels because of warpage when the PO welded the pipe rails to the sides in the back.  I think I can patch the other spots.  The entire rear floor and tailgate surround needs replaced.  Not sure if i can patch the wheel wells or have to replace them.  Ill probably try to use panels in the front floors and try to find an original tub piece with the transmission hump in good shape.  My wife asked me if they made replacement tubs when she helped me lift the cab off.  Ive thought about it, I just hate to replace the whole tub with a repop.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2013 at 1:31am
The fuel tank appears to be homeade.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2013 at 1:34am

Ive got a couple of spots where there are supports that it appears that there is rust swollen in between the seams.  How do you get that out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>