Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 96>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a Universal Modified
    Posted: 16 Dec. 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

. . . .  I won't be taking this one off road anywhere that I wouldn't take a stock MB.

Funny how things change over time.   I was looking thru the early pages of this thread for something and came across the above quote Jeff made in 2014
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

Those rotors are Raybestos 3550R or equivalent.
Normally found in a late 70's CJ with heavy duty front disks. They use the chevy K10 bracket and caliper.

On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?
Those look like the 2 bolt caliper version used from 78 to about 81 on the D30.  The 6 bolt version is deeper.  I think the Raybestos # is 3552R.  The rotor thickness would be definitive.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

…..On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?
the rear brake line feeds both the left and right cutting brake cylinder. When you press the brake pedal, the fluid goes past the cutting brakes cylinders and activates the calipers. If you pull the handle on either cutting brake, the respective cylinder draws fluid from the master cylinder and forces it into the respective caliper. They work even better if you first touch the brake pedal to fill the caliper, then pull a cutting brake handle.

Not sure if that answers your question.

Edited by jpet - 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:22pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:32am
Those rotors are Raybestos 3550R or equivalent.
Normally found in a late 70's CJ with heavy duty front disks. They use the chevy K10 bracket and caliper.

On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?

Edited by Jw60 - 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:33am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:06pm
The reason I went with the rear selectable locker was so I could install cutting brakes:

I think these would work better if I could disconnect the rear drive shaft. They don’t work on dry surfaces very good but I’ve learned that on slick or loose surfaces, they are very effective. Here is a sample:

... this creek bed is narrow and snakes back and forth with trees on the edges. The cutting brakes help me to stay against the banks   They are a game changer when scrambling through the trees after the ATVs. They work real good with a little momentum.

Edited by jpet - 25 June 2022 at 10:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2022 at 1:33pm
The 30 spline axles are stock, whatever that material is.   I’ve have two different rear axles under this Jeep. I started with a centered pumpkin and now, the offset. Both axles in both assemblies have twisted splines.

Y’know, I’m not sure what the rotors are from. They came with the unfinished project. They also go on the back side of the axle flange.

The calipers are GM truck fronts like from to 80s.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2022 at 11:04am
Curious minds want to know what your 30 spline axles were.

I assume you are using the D30 rotors.  As to the question you once posed to me about E brakes:

I think these are going to work well and will detail it on the sanity check thread one of these days.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 8:46pm
More changes:

I have never broken a 30 spline axle, but this is what they look like:

... so, I’m going with 35 spline chromoly:

I don’t plan on breaking these. We shall see. Now, I have to change the carrier assembly so I’m going with OX:

This one is air actuated. I’m surprised at how simple the air cylinder is:

The slide pin that the fork moves on is also the piston. Just apply air. When you look at it, you would think it leaks but it doesn’t. I like it.

.... anywho, I’m also re-gearing to 4.10 diffs to compliment the X98 tc that is about to go back in. Thx 4 reading.

Edited by jpet - 05 Mar. 2022 at 8:48pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 1:20pm
Maybe you could add some volume to the tank vent line. Like put a big fuel filter in the line. Maybe it will be enough volume and create a place which disrupts the surface tension from holding fuel in the line. Just an idea. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Frogkid Frogkid wrote:

Are you still able to utilize those 12" travel shocks with the new springs?
I don’t need 12” shocks anymore. I haven’t really checked my travel. I’m guessing maybe 10” is plenty.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Frogkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frogkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2021 at 11:37pm
Are you still able to utilize those 12" travel shocks with the new springs?
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2021 at 4:35pm
Thanks for the recent YT videos, brightened what has recently been quite a glum time for me.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Just out of curiosity.  Are you still running the trailer wheels that you put together with original centers?  If so are they holding up well? 
Yes, I'm still running them. The are holding up pretty well, all-in-all. One of them has a slight wobble which I don't feel going down the road, but is visible. That wheel does not have a heavy duty center, so that is the one thing I would change is to only use HD centers for KH wheels.

I was talking to Jim from Jeepsterman.com. He is going to start offering a 6" wide wheel with safety humps that looks pretty close to a KH. I didn't take a pic but you can sorta see them from this angle:

...they also clear disk brakes. It looks very much like a KH except the bolt hole area which kinda looks like a Ford wheel. I'm going to talk to him at the fall reunion. His manufacturer may be able to change that.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 5:24pm
Just out of curiosity.  Are you still running the trailer wheels that you put together with original centers?  If so are they holding up well? 
-Gaffer
DAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 4:45pm
Love the jeep model, lots of character. Interesting to see you have reverted back to off the shelf springs, after all the development you put into bespoke springs; I suppose it is much more practical if you are away from home and need a spare.

Daan
1990 Mahindra
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:47pm
Jeff what are your thoughts if you get rid of the roll over valve for a system like this article (about halfway thru for venting)

Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Love the model of BamBam Bernie made.  I can see it perched on a pile of rocks on your desk!  As usual, lots of thought going into your mods.  I'll be interested to see how you like going back to stock rear springs.  I'm guessing that with the longer stroke shocks still there you'll still get a lot more travel than stock.

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:58am

The C channel or “step” in the tub had been broke to pieces for a while. Floor is sagging, dented and falling apart in some areas,

... so I’m going to replace the step. Hopefully with a piece of rectangular tubing if I can get what I need. If not, I’ll make another channel from 11 gauge.   This will be connected to the gun mount, frame, and rock sliders to give the tub strength and give me a good spot to anchor my seats and belts.

Fuel tank:

This has been an odd problem for some time.:

... even though I have the tank out of the Jeep, I’m showing you how it is vented. This line runs above the tank, up the windshield and has a rollover valve at the top. The fitting at the tank is a 90 but it is at the top of the tank. No part of the vent is below the tank and the outlet is well above the tank. Still on hot days and or when the motor is stressed, the fuel gets hot, the tank pressurizes and pushes fuel out the top of the vent. Even when the vehicle is level    It’s like once fuel can reach the top of the tank, the pressure pushes it into the line and will not let it run back into the tank.   I guess my next move is to put another vent line in the back of the tank so that I can run it straight up without a 90 degree fitting. The current one I use is under my seat so I have to come out with a 90.

Edited by jpet - 04 May 2021 at 10:02am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 96>