Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

How did the new mods work out? ....
I don’t know that the mods helped me or not on Pritchett. I definitely didn’t hang up on any obstacles. The main trouble I had on Rocker Knocker the last time was that I simply was not turning hard driver the entire time. This time, I was hard driver. If you listen to the video, you hear a popping sound as I’m crabbing to the v-notch. That is my tire lug hitting the back of the springs. If there was anything mechanically I did that made a difference, it was that I attached a strap from the front axle passenger side to the frame to hold the chassis from unloading. I attached the strap before running the obstacle. I feel like I can do it every time now. The recipe is 3 wheels on the ledge, hard driver, low gear.

Quote ..... What's next? .....
I want to integrate my front windshield into the roll cage so that it still looks stock, but if I roll, it doesn’t break off. I also want to raise it a couple inches for better vision. I’m thinking about a poly windshield where the whole front can be removed.   I think my biggest mechanical issue is unloading on hill climbs:

..... the last set of changes I made have caused it to be a hassle to connect my winch to the front axle. I need to rethink that and come up with something simpler. I really wish I could pull either front corner down individually for climbing and let them go for rock gardens and such. I see a night and day difference on off camber climbs compared to Grandpas Jeep. Broken step was a struggle for me. I want to post a video, but I’m still looking for someone with footage of me actually making it. By the time I got over, everyone stopped filming . Stan did much better.

Of the entire trail, I felt like Chewy was the toughest/most dangerous obstacle.

Quote ...The way you guys are burning through trails in Moab, you should go hike RearSteer/Big Balls next so you have something to work on for a few years.
The next Moab trail I want on the resume’ is Rusty Nail. Stan and I have done all the 8 and 9 rated trails on the RR4W list:

Pritchett Canyon
Cliffhanger
Hell’s Revenge (Escalator)

.... all we need is Rusty Nail to complete the ensemble.

Edited by jpet - 16 Nov. 2018 at 1:42pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 4:19am
I'm down for Rusty Nail. Let me know when. 

The Currie's had something back in the day they called 'the secret weapon' on one of their red comp TJs. It was basically a retracting air cylinder connected to a winch line that ran to the front axle. They hit a switch and it would suck down the front axle, it was very similar in action to how we think about a suck down winch these days. The same concept could be doubled up for control over each front tire or both at the same time. Getting the cylinder large enough in diameter for the 'retract' function to be strong enough was the hard part from what I remember. It was a neat system. With the ability to dial in the air pressure you could make it almost act like a negative rate spring which could be nice too.

Chewy makes you feel like you are way up there and sideways at the top for sure. Axle hill is my least favorite. I need more gearing to make the upper part smoother. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 5:11am
Have you done Behind the Rocks yet? That is a 'fun' one for a SWB. 

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Have you done Behind the Rocks yet? That is a 'fun' one for a SWB. 

Closest we’ve gotten to that was driving by on the way out of Pritchett.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 1:43pm
Behind the Rocks looks like a good one Hi Dive looks cool have to look it over first. Doing the entire Helldorado trail looks intriguing. This time of year the toughest obstacle for me and BAM BAM is Vail Pass Looks like Moab will have to wait till next Spring. For now, BAM BAM and I will be in the trees, mud, and ditches.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 6:02pm
High-dive and Upchuck are both doable in a SWB with some careful lines. They are also both easy to bypass if you need to.

White knuckle hill on the other hand is a HUGE drop these days. That is what you would have driven by on the way out of Pritchett up Hunter canyon. You can drive around it but it adds a lot of distance to the trail.

Running Behind the Rock backwards in the new truck is one of my new projects...

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2018 at 6:14pm
... hey, BTW, What size is that snatch ring you are using in your YouTube video?

Edit: I could run those in CNC if I had some dimensions.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

... hey, BTW, What size is that snatch ring you are using in your YouTube video?....
Never mind. I got one:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 10:10pm
.... more changes ......

This is a windshield frame that I am incorporating into my cage. It’s made of 1-1/2” x 1/8” wall tubing.   My original windshield is rotten and I have to weld it back together on a regular basis. I also replace the glass on a yearly average. This one will have poly carbonate in it that can be removed like an sxs. This one is also 2” taller than the original and since it doesn’t have an inner frame, I have 3” more vision at the top.

.... removed the “A” hoop and the upper structure connecting it to “B” hoop:

..... anywho, this is what I’m going for:

I ran out of time today but Monday, I’ll run some structure from the floor and weld them to the windshield in this area where it is not readily seen:

I’ll also weld pipes from the top of the windshield to the B hoop for support. Obviously, this windshield will not fold down but that’s ok because I want to be able to remove the entire front poly face. I did cut some poly:

The idea is to paint the bottom portion of the poly to look like the original windshield skin and put the “BAM BAM” moniker back on. I’m out of time for the weekend. Have to get back on this Monday. Thx 4 reading.

Edited by jpet - 08 Dec. 2018 at 10:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:21am
Awesome! I've kicked around the idea of building a full tube body that looks OEM. Similar to guys who make tube fenders, then weld sheet metal on top. It would be heavy, but I dream of the rigidity against rocks and rollovers.
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 2:21am
That is going to make a clean looking A-pillar, and the increased visibility will be nice too!   
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 2:44am
Nice work Jeff!

Mike
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 4:29am
Doing your magic again.
Have you figured out a wiper solution?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 5:37am
Looks great so far!

Looks like you used a tube roller and a bender?

Edit:  looks like maybe a torch instead of a roller.  Nice work.

Edited by JeepN95YJ - 09 Dec. 2018 at 5:40am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 8:13am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Doing your magic again.
Have you figured out a wiper solution?
I have......Rainex I’m not sure if you can use a wiper on polycarbonate. What I like about this concept is that I can have more than one window. One that can get scuffed up in the woods and keep a nicer one for street use.

Originally posted by JeepN95YJ JeepN95YJ wrote:

Looks great so far!

Looks like you used a tube roller and a bender?

Edit:  looks like maybe a torch instead of a roller.  Nice work.

I have a home made tube bender:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/building-a-universal-modified_topic28473_post348641.html#348641

Edited by jpet - 09 Dec. 2018 at 8:17am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 9:47am
Ingenious!! 

Well done! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 1:58am
Well, as much as I wanted to have a full poly sheet in front, I decided I just couldn’t make it look right so I welded another cross member and an 18 gauge skin to the front:

Red oxide primer and then I fogged it with OD allowing the red primer to bleed through a little for some faux patina:

Also, added some support up top:

Hope to get a window in it tomorrow and some legs down to the frame.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 2:04am
jpet, it's a superb "stealth MB" windshield frame! The lower panel really makes the job. Most observers on the trail will see it and think it's stock. Nice work.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 96>