Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 96>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 4:52pm
Bigger saw!!....neat video Jeff, how old is little guy?

Years from now he'll be telling stories of how he 'learned to drive in an old Willys'.

All in all, nice video.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Sweet! So what's the verdict on the sway bar? 
I'm not sure yet. I'll know more when I follow Stan around and compare:

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

...My initial thought is that the sway bar does help reduce body roll. I wasn't leaning up against trees anyway. I don't think I will really know for sure till I go wheeling with with you guys so I can compare. The north 40 has ditches, but not so off-camber. One thing I did notice is that the sway bar did not seem to hinder me as far as flexibility goes. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Can't wait to try it in Utah.

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

....how old is little guy?...
He will be 12 next month. He is actually pretty fearless on his 4 wheeler.... kinda makes me nervous. This is where where both of his Paw Paw's took him to Badlands last year.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 2:41am
Just finished reading through this. Quite a long thread. Took 5 or 6 days. I’m gonna have to make a trip down to Moab or ? And lay eyes on this engineering marvel.  Must be a way to suck the front end down with maybe an airbag or a small hydraulic cylinder pulling a cable.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 9:28pm
Thanks Mike
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Just finished reading through this. Quite a long thread. Took 5 or 6 days. I’m gonna have to make a trip down to Moab or ? And lay eyes on this engineering marvel.  Must be a way to suck the front end down with maybe an airbag or a small hydraulic cylinder pulling a cable.
I feel like I've got the suck down working pretty well.

I just attached the winch line to my limit strap using a soft shackle. Sucked down:

A positive note today, I took the tranny top off to inspect the shift forks. Those who have followed this thread know that I have been running through granny/1st gear shift forks. I'm going to Utah next month and I prefer to avoid this failure again. This one was put in after Rubicon on has went through Pritchett Canyon (2X), Potawatomi, FCT, Rockfest, Badlands, Moonlight Racing, and daily driving all winter:

The forks still have teflon on them. One side is starting to give way a little. What have I done differently? I just don't drive around in 1st gear for too long when I'm offroad. For clarity, gears are L,1,2,3
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 10:41pm
just trying to help Jeff. After all if they can make a Chevy jump up and down with air cylinders surely they could be used to suck a jeep front end down. 
Keep up the the good work.  
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

......the drawback to poly on an automotive windsheild is that it scratches easily, probably why it’s not used in automotive applications...

I think I’ve found a pretty good solution to scratches in the poly:

Yesterday, I took the poly out so that I could haul BAM BAM on the trailer with less wind resistance. When I got home I found that the windshield was rubbing on my back. seat cushion and got scratched up. You can see marks in the circled area

.... anywho, I did some web searching and someone recommended using toothpaste and a microfiber cloth the buff the scratches out and that’s exactly what I did. :

Hard to tell from that angle. Here is a shot looking outside the glass:

Before I started, the scuffs were quite annoying. After 30 minutes of buffing, applying more and more toothpaste and a little water, the results were extraordinary. Practically gone and if I wanted to spend more time I’m sure I could completely eliminate them. I also applied a coat of car wax to both sides after I finished buffing. I highly recommend this trick for a motorcycle or SXS windshield.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 2:44am
Perhaps you could remove all of the remaining haze if you flossed the windshield as well.

Actually, that looks really clear.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 4:39pm
Wade and I met up on Saturday to do Moonlight Racing again. Here are a few pics:

The anti rock sway bar absolutely reduced my body roll problem. I’m not sure how much it affected my overall articulation but I never noticed an issue. With this trip, BAM BAM has wheeled in 12 consecutive months starting with EJS last year. I’ll post video when I get it all collected.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 5:00pm
Nice pics. Looking forward to the video.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Nice pics. Looking forward to the video.
Me too. From the stills it looks like a good one
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 6:54pm
Here are a couple shots from the blooper reel

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2019 at 7:45pm
No need for the roll bar there
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:14am
I was waiting for some video of the Stairway To The Moon obstacle that my friend Ryan shot but I’ll post it later. Here is some video footage of last Saturday:

... at 3:08, BAM BAM gets over the “Waterfall” obstacle. This is the one he almost tipped in last time.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:52am
Great video Jeff. Nice work on the waterfall!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
hotrod59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 3:04am
Great video, looks like a ton of fun!
1948 Luzon red CJ2A No name yet
1952 CJ3A "SPUDZ"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 3:30am
Awesome vid. 
If Doc Holliday would have gone down like that, the OK Corral probably would have turned out differently..
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 7:30am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

... at 3:08, BAM BAM gets over the “Waterfall” obstacle. This is the one he almost tipped in last time.

lol... "Jimmys getting thirsty" (veiled Seinfeld reference)

Love the little ones hands over the face on the pumpkin smasher LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Jolly Rodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 10:13am
Great video!
Looks as if Jeff has the crawling mastered, but needs more practice in walking (0:20). Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 96>