Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 96>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:23am
Mustang radiator will do a 350 and fit no problem. 3a frame sounds good. Dana 44s with disk in the front. Or you could get that 200 dollar axle on the page with disc brakes and shove a different tranny combo in.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:36am
My CJ5 has a dana 30 in front with disk brakes. I could take everything and put it in a CJ3A frame that i have. Just buy a new spring kit.

Mustang radiator works fine going down the road but what about on the trail where there is not much air movement?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 4:00am
Electric fan.
46 2a
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:02pm
The mustang rad is more than enough,   and it really fits well.  Im fighting with mine cooling too well, was running  160 tstat and just driving around town, all stop and go driving it would not get about 170, on the highway at 50-55 it was below 160, I just put in a 195 tstat this weekend but did not test it.

I did not set the engine in mine, the mounts were already in it.  If I was to do it over or redo it, I would modify the inner part of the grill,  rework the cross member under the grill and I bet I could move the whole drivetrain forward 4-5"   The 4.3 fits fine the way it is, but the extra rear DS length would be nice.

If the engine ever has to come out again, I will probably do it then
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:08pm
Do you have an external fan? I'd prefer not to put a fan on the outside if possible.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:21pm
nope, mechanical fan about 1" from rad,   If you removed the inner part of the grill and the cross member you see how far you could move everything forward

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

If you removed the inner part of the grill and the cross member you see how far you could move everything forward

Jeff, the Mustang fits really well but trimming the grill will give you some more room.

Another option is just have Walker Radiators build what you want......that was the choice I went with.  It's a pretty expensive alternative but you get what you want and that was one of the places I knew I was going to have to bite the bullet to get what I wanted.

Take a close look at mine the next time we are in the same parking lot  Wink ....it might give you some ideas.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:28am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

.....Take a close look at mine the next time we are in the same parking lot  Wink ....it might give you some ideas.
I've been looking at your pics. I'll get a better look next week in Hudson.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:39am
Just to throw a wrench in the works Jeff how about this. Get a beat up f150 from the late 80s or very early 90s. You could possibly put in the whole thing with 4.88s and get a great looking jeep. I6 with the manual 5 speed and a Transfercase. You can get an efi version. I'm unsure of the fit
46 2a
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 5:23am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

.....Take a close look at mine the next time we are in the same parking lot  Wink ....it might give you some ideas.
I've been looking at your pics. I'll get a better look next week in Hudson.

rocnroll in Hudson?  . . . I would LOVE to see his creation in person !!! Wink
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

Just to throw a wrench in the works Jeff how about this. Get a beat up f150 from the late 80s or very early 90s. You could possibly put in the whole thing with 4.88s and get a great looking jeep. I6 with the manual 5 speed and a Transfercase. You can get an efi version. I'm unsure of the fit
Fit?  You will have the fan in front of the grill and/or a 6" long rear driveshaft (total length with slip joint).  I don't know of any really short 5 speeds and an I6 would be a problem all by its self.  There was a reason AMC stretched the hood and fenders of the CJ 5/6 in 72 to fit the 232/258.

I also don't think there is any way to keep the grill extension if you install a V8.  That's about the same length two more cylinders added to a 4.3 takes.  Replacing the cross member under the grill with something without the hump does make a lot better swap and more radiator options but the Ross box pretty much has to go in the process-not that that is likely a problem if you are swapping engines.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

... I don't know of any really short 5 speeds...

Toyota H55F is the shortest HD 5 speed I know of. Nice transmission.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:58pm
Jeff, when thinking radiators, they cool two ways, air flow amount, water flow amount. I had to go to a 2 core (one inch tubes) to flow enough cooland to cool down my 429 Ford in a Cobra body. The neat part is that it's thinner than a 4 core. Aluminum radiators also cool more than a copper/brass radiator. They are also fragile. You also don't solder up a hole, epxoy maybe. Then you can also increase air flow with a shroud that makes the fan pull the air. A puller cools better than a pusher. Air dams that make all the incoming air go through the radiator also help. You may also have to get the air out of the engine bay more efficiently with vents, louvers, etc.  Remember that Slat Grille jeeps had a "Air Deflector" attached to the bottom of the hood? MGA's had a large felt pad that touched the top of the radiator. All to direct more air flow through the radiator. The MB grill has the deflectors already there. The stock radiator has the shroud. Nothing new. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:56am
Just to throw this out there for discussion, there is a '70 scout for sale nearby me.:

It has a 350 chevy with an SM465 and I'm not sure what kind of transfer case that is:

Is this a dana 27?:

Idk if it would be worth messing with but the SM465 would be easier to adapt a dana 18 or 20 to.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 3:00am
Is that an extra motor? Or did it run when parked! LOL

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 3:11am
There''s just one motor, it's just sitting in the back
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:28pm
That Tcase is a NP 205-pretty much bullet proof but hard to fit in any older Jeep, heavy, and they hang pretty low.  2:1 reduction.  Also centered, high output and that makes for a steeper driveshaft angle than using a D18.

The Novak SM465 to D18 is one of the shortest, if not the shortest, adapter/HD 4 speed packages available.  IMO, if going with either a 4.3 or sbc V8, the Sm465 would be my first choice.  While the older SM420 has a bit lower granny gear, it is a longer package, has more front driveshaft interference issues, and is a lot harder to find parts for.  The SM420 uses the small index bell, the 465 the large index-which is what would be in the Scout.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 96>