Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 96>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 6:21pm
Hi Jeff, thank you. 
looking forward to them when you have a chance.

I have a small personal metal hobby shop that I think this will fit my machines. :)
no farming out just my time. 
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Speaking of Moab, if they haven't cleared the rockslide in Glenwood Canyon by then I may be cancelling.

Joe, just pick up I-80 instead of I-70 take a left at Rock Springs Wy. Then follow 191 into Moab. It will only add about 175 miles & five hours to the trip. Or you could take I-80 to Creston WY, then follow Hwy 789/13 into Rifle Colorado where you would pick up I-70. It would add about the same milage but it would only add about 3 hours to the trip.

BTW, CDOT has predicted that Glenwood canyon on I-70 will be open to 1 way traffic after Monday the 22nd of Febuary. Of course all this is subject to change without rhyme nor reason. They will give notice though. CDOT is good at that.

IHTH, Matt W.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2016 at 3:36am
Here is some more progress on the roll cage. My top bows are 59-1/2" wide. I opted to go 59" since I have my work cut out for me to get the mounting flange inside the tub. This is unlike a conventional roll bar that is no wider than the inside lip of the tub.

To do this, I angled the sides inward approximately 3/4", and I dog legged the ends with another 3/4" offset.

IDK, some OD paint, maybe hang some musette bags over the dog legs .... Passable?

The plan is to sew another set of flaps into the roof for attaching the summer too to the roll cage. I'll still have the original flaps for when I want to use my top bows.

Somehow, I'm going to make some mounts in the back that are connected to the frame, but that's another project.

Edited by jpet - 26 Feb. 2016 at 3:39am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2016 at 4:21am
They look terrific. Surprisingly authentic. Great work as always.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2016 at 11:02am
Thumbs Up Paint them olive drab and you are mighty fine. I just hope it isn't top heavy. My wife was searching Jeep stickers on the web and called me to her computor. She had a picture of a vertical cliff with a stop sign on it facing down. Made me laugh and think: So that's where Jeff went. LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2016 at 12:35am
I like it Smile
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2016 at 12:46am
Looks good! I'd call them superbows!

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2016 at 12:43am
Looks Great!!! While you are at it why not weld in a dome light of some sort since its a permanent structure. And if its removable just wire in a disconnecting plug.
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2016 at 1:23am
That's not a bad idea. This is definitely not a permanent structure. I'm only going to use it when it's necessary or in the winter when my full canopy is on for extended time. One thing I do like about this roll cage is that I can put my radio back in
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2016 at 11:38pm
Looks good! You are getting ready for Moab!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 1:30am
Looks great!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 6:26pm
Finished with the roll cage:

...This is what BAM BAM will look like in Moab.  I'm not sure if i can fool anyone out there but I'm gonna try.

Comparison picture from October last year:

Edited by jpet - 04 Mar. 2016 at 6:38pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 7:06pm
[QUOTE=jpet] Finished with the roll cage:

...This is what BAM BAM will look like in Moab.  I'm not sure if i can fool anyone out there but I'm gonna try.

As always another first class Jpet Job!
Looks great Jeff.

Here's Jeff pondering his next mod on Bam Bam.

Maybe a 4 point OD harness?

Edited by 3-48s - 04 Mar. 2016 at 7:18pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2016 at 2:02am
Outstanding! Clap
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 2:07pm
Jpet, Moab videos were great, patiently awaiting the after action report on the latest round of modifications, springs-tralow ect. All looked to work well!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2016 at 11:24pm
I already posted this pic in the EJS thread but I thought I'd put it here as well.

Easter Jeep Safari 2016

Fan: the fan suggested on page 47 is much quieter and would be just fine for driving on flat land at speed but it was no good for me in Moab doing long slow climbs. That fan is 1850 cfm. The one I had was 2500 cfm. I guess I can put up with some noise after all. I had to buy another one in Moab so I'll have my old one for sale at the reunion.

Springs: the springs were super flexible. Everyone who rode with me could feel an obvious difference. I did learn that I am going to have to learn more about shocks and get something more appropriate for this new flexibility. I did a lot of bottoming out.

Teraflex: My new 77:1 crawl ratio is way better:

BAM BAM climbed this rock without touching the throttle. He climbed every obstacle without any throttle. Having said that, I almost wish he was even slower on Hell's gate. Lots of decisions to be made on that climb and he was moving a little quick for me but I'm guessing as I get more experience, I will be able to deal with that. I don't need 3-low any lower. I'm afraid I may have to switch between low and high range more often on some of the CFCT trails. 3-low is pretty slow. We shall see. Having the D20 twin sticked was nice when I broke my rear u-joint. I just shifted to front wheel drive and made it back to camp easy. Since removing the pills, now the rear axle stick will pop into neutral in low range. I tied it up with a rope for the trip, but I will need to replace the springs with the heavy duty ones.

Wheels/tires: I had zero traction problems. Even when we were not on slick rock. I could not tell that anyone had an advantage over me in the 33" or lower tires sizes. I ran 8 psi all week. I would have figured if it were not enough, I would have popped the tires off In the "V" notch of Hell's Gate. No valve stem movement. I wouldn't hesitate to go 7 psi except that my tires are squatting so good, I don't think I need to. Now I'm questioning the need for bead locks.

My SM465 keeps destroying front seals. I'm not sure why but soon I will pull the tranny and TC and go through it all again.

Edited by jpet - 27 Mar. 2016 at 11:29pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 12:35am
Thanks for the update!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 96>