Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 96>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 4:11am
Jeff, I hate to take you all the way back to page 74, but what did you make the rear shock towers out of? And did you just weld the uprights right to the frame or add a plate?   Glad you did it?
Thanks!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 10:04am
It is 1” x 1/8” wall square tubing, welded to the outside of the frame and there is a boxing plate welded from flange to flange on the inward side of the frame.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2018 at 4:14am
Perfect. Thank you.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Isn't polycarbonate available with a scratch-resistant coating?  Somebody was selling poly windshields about 20 years ago and they advertised a scratch-"proof" coating, as I recall...

I remember reading something about a product called speed glass.  It was something out of the racing community and supposedly a coated polycarbonate.  I think Petersen's ran a story on it back 15 or more years ago.  It was supposed to resist rock and stone impact and not scratch.  
-Gaffer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2018 at 11:50pm
Yeah it's not "scratch proof".

I'm running Speedglass.

And it IS " scratch resistant" ......as long as you don't rub it with anything, wash it in any way, or catch a limb or bush across it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 9:39pm
In other words, YOU have to resist scratching it?  That makes it "scratch-resistant"?  Now I'm glad I didn't go for it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:07am
Pretty good day today, but first a locker report.

Like a lot of you, we've been experiencing winter weather and I've been driving around on the snow/ice with the detroit locker in the back:

.... I must say, I'm really not having any problem getting around with the auto locker. I been driving around town and on country roads. No problem really. I just take it easy on acceleration and coast through turns when I can.

This was not one of my smarter moves but I was driving through the country today and when I cam over the hill, I ran into a half mile of solid ice:

... the sun made it nice and slick today. I just stayed in the center and took it easy. Glad the wind wasn't blowing.

next, I am thinking about installing a sway bar in the rear to help with my body roll. I'm getting a little tired of banging my cage on the trees:

.... this is a 32" torsion bar which isn't going to work because the arms need to be able to go outside of the inner wheel wells which are 33" wide on an MB. I think the only way this would fit is if I mount the bar to the center of the frame which is not the conventional way:

I'm not sure if this will work. There is not much room in there. Anywho, I'll have to think about this a bit so I postponed the project. ... but I did get to wheel a little today:

This is my mother-in-laws woods. Terry has a pretty good network of trails in there. It was pretty good wheeling. Today was in the low 40s but before today, the temps were in the single digits and lower so the ground is good and hard. I am particularly happy about the obstacle at the 8 minute mark. In the past, I haven't aired down when out there, (because I have to drive home). I have tried to climb through this ditch several times and failed but this is the first time I actually aired down first. Thanks for reading.

Edited by jpet - 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:09am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:14am
How you like the new window?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 3:31am
The new window works great. I think I will eventually sink it into the frame a little more.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2019 at 4:25am
Nice woods trail.  Thx for sharing.  πŸ‘πŸ»
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   β€œNewt”

My Videos
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2019 at 7:37pm
Jeff, thanks for sharing your tight-spot driving expertise. That steep creekbank work was great. Love the V6 growl from Bam Bam.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2019 at 10:44pm
Got the sway bar in:

This kit was not easy to fit in this jeep. It's really for a longer jeep with wider axles. It barely fit and with some modifications. I was not able to use the rod ends that were supplied because the there just wasn't much room to work with.

... anywho it did cut into my flex a little bit but there is still a lot left:

Idk. I guess I'll just have to wheel it. Maybe I'll like it, maybe not.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepN95YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepN95YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2019 at 11:37pm
Nice install.  I think you will like it as long as it doesn't hit anything. 

I had a flexy YJ that didnt use sway bars and was always pretty happy with it.  

On my TJ with coils the sway bars were a must. I used the stock rear and a currie front.  I liked the stability better with the Currie rather than with disconnects.
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 12:51am
Looks good Jeff!  Was you able to get Bam Bam out on the highway and see if it handled any differently?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 1:14am
I did. The sway bar does help with the sway in the turns but I wouldn't say that it's night and day. I have the arms set at the most flexible position. I might try some of the other positions and do some comparisons. Really, I just need to do some ditch wheeling .... soon.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 1:29pm
Hi all,

Got a little bit of wheeling in with my grandson.

My initial thought is that the sway bar does help reduce body roll. I wasn't leaning up against trees anyway. I don't think I will really know for sure till I go wheeling with with you guys so I can compare. The north 40 has ditches, but not so off-camber. One thing I did notice is that the sway bar did not seem to hinder me as far as flexibility goes. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Can't wait to try it in Utah.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 2:26pm
Fun video! That looks like the terrain in my neck of the woods. The sway bar setup looks great! 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 3:34pm
Sweet! So what's the verdict on the sway bar? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 96>