Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

axle bushings: D25 vs. D27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: axle bushings: D25 vs. D27
    Posted: 07 May 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Sean gives some explaination of axle types, bushings and shims required in this thread.

Thanks for that!  I never saw that FAQ...

Now I'm off to locate some new spindle bushings (A2 p/n 649783) and some snap rings.  But what I didn't see covered is; while "B" and "C" bushings were only really needed for bendix joints, won't the excessive bore diameter allow the pudding to seep into the axle tube?

-WRM

Edited by WRMorrison - 07 May 2013 at 6:41pm
If you're a SolidWorks user, here's a link to my publicly available models: My Models (click on "projects")
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 6:21pm
Sean gives some explaination of axle types, bushings and shims required in this thread.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 5:59pm
OK...when I bought my project, the front axle had a long shaft from a D27 (spicer joint) and a short shaft (bendix joint) from a D25.  I bought a short shaft from a D27 with a spicer joint so that both front axle shafts will match and be easier to service with the spicer joints.

I haven't fully buttoned up my front axle yet because I'm waiting on some new king pin bearings, but I did mock it all up.  I noticed that my shafts are pretty sloppy in the housing nearest the knuckle.  On closer inspection, I noticed that the original short side bendix shaft has a machined diameter near the joint that closely matches the diameter of the bushing in the housing...but neither of the newer shafts with the spicer joints have this machined diameter; they're rough-cast.

Will it be harmful to run these new shafts since the axle isn't nearly as supported or sealed by the bushing?  How in the world would I "fix" this situation?  Even if I found a smaller diameter bushing to press into the axle housing, the shafts themselves would still have to be turned I imagine to match the bushing.

Anybody run into this before?  Here's some pics of what I'm talking about:

Here's the original short-side shaft with the bendix joint; you can see the machined diameter that rests on the axle bushing:

Here's the long-side shaft with spicer joint that came inside my front axle - rough cast in the same location:

Here's the replacement short-side shaft with spicer joint: rough-cast in the same location:

-WRM
If you're a SolidWorks user, here's a link to my publicly available models: My Models (click on "projects")
 Post Reply Post Reply