Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAPA 12V motor for Harrison Heater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAPA 12V motor for Harrison Heater
    Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:31am
I have my Passenger side Harrison out to replace the 6V motor with a 12V unit. My goal was to find an easily sourced replacement 12V motor and have found one at NAPA, P/N 655-1022 that requires no modifications to the heater and requires little modification to the motor.

The motor requires a counter clockwise rotation viewed from the shaft end and the NAPA motor is reversible, so one needs to ground the orange power wire and the black goes to the switch.
Mods to the motor consist of cutting off the studs on the shaft side and shortening the studs on the opposite side and removing the 5/16" adapter bushing from the shaft.

The Harrison fan has 1/4" shaft and is 7" in dia.

Here is a shot of the old 6V motor and the NAPA replacement, note the difference in size and the stud center to center.

The Napa Motor has a center to center of 2.3125" and the OE in my heater has a C to C of approx. 1.975, my heater hsg. has holes for either size 90 degrees apart. (note, most modern automotive heater motors are 2.3125 or larger and in my search I found none in the 1.975 size).

Here is a shot of the motor and fan installed in the heater. My test run proved to be a success and I was happy with the volume of air and it was quiet.

Now to install the heater. I found several motors from other sources but wanted to find a motor easily available to all and this motor fits the heater well. I also looked for a replacement fan as some page members may need that as well but NAPA did not list a fan in the 7" size, but I did find a listing in a RED DOT corp. catalog that was 7" and cc rotation but I cannot verify it is correct as my supplier did not have one in stock. Thanks for looking.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:10pm
Lee, thanks for the information.  I have been looking for a source for a 12V motor for my heater.  The heater I have is not a Harrison.  From what I have been able to determine, it could be a HUPP.  I will take the 6V motor out and see how close its measurements are to the motor you got at NAPA.
George

'51 3A #43951
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:59pm
Here are the specs from NAPA.

12V
rotation-reversible
case bolts-2 5/16" c to c
case mount face to face-2 7/8"
OD of motor- 3"
OA length- 3 3/4"
shaft dia- 1/4"
shaft ext. from face-1 1/2"

HTH,Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:26pm
Lee, I'm running a 6 volt Harrison heater or at least was. My fan has too much end play causing a vibration. I'm trying to get the blade freed to slide it closer in or at least put a thrust washer take up the slack. If by chance you're interested in selling your 6 volt motor and it doesn't have "too much end play "situation. I might be interested in it . Thanks, Sandusky
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:10pm
Sandusky, pm me your address and I will send it to you!, I have no need for it, worked fine as I tested it on my GPW battery.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 3:53pm
Old post, but thank you!  I'm ordering one
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 6:28pm
LOL, mine is. Still working great!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
 Post Reply Post Reply