Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's Not Original on this Bantam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's Not Original on this Bantam?
    Posted: 30 May 2013 at 4:43am
I picked up a trailer today and have some questions.

The VA title says that it is serial # 3122,  but I do not see that on tag,  is there something missing?    edit: I have since seen some photos of tags,  and the serial# should be in that strip across the top.  I tried rubbing a wet finger across etc.  but no luck seeing any stamping.   More forensics will be required. LOL

A view of taillights and tailgate hinge.   Anything not original here?   I know the taillight lens is not.

The hinges have globs of weld on them,   not sure if that is an attemped repair on original hinges,  or these are replacements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were coil "booster" springs ever stock?   I suspect not,  but I am wondering about the stock-looking reinforcing brace above the coil spring.  Why would that be there if not for the coil?  

The hitch-coupler mods.     I first thought this was original coupler (but cut up),   It looks old,  but I doubt it is the correct one.

I will take some better photos later,  and start a "build" thread.   I was just excited to get it home last night,  and had to start a little research. LOL   

Edited by JeepFever - 30 May 2013 at 2:47pm
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:33pm

What I know about these trailers is limited, so what I can provide I'll offer as an opinion.

If you'll visit Art's website, http://bantamt3c.com/, you can compare your trailer's features to those near the number on your serial plate. 

I can't read your serial plate but what I notice is the rivets are placed the same as other early trailers.  The number you posted should place it near the beginning and that trailer should have some left-over military features.  Your data plate appears to be early so this will hopefully agree to the other trailer components.  So is that number the same on your serial plate?

Any light that will fit the hole in the rear panel can be used – so it wouldn’t be a stretch to see any light, including plastic replacements.  You could also remove the license plate bracket and clean it off to see if it has anything stamped into it.  There's posted info on this as well. 

I have never seen a coil booster on any trailer (yours is the first for me).  Anyone looking to provide additional suspension for heavier loads and having access to a welder can ad a reinforcement plate (not a bad idea) to the frame to keep it from buckling.  Perhaps others know more.

As far as posting images, sometimes depending on image size, you may hit a limit.  Just post a second time, i.e. reply to your thread and add additional pics.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 2:55pm
First thing I did was go to Art's site,  and looked at a few in the same serial number range.  Many times though the trailer might be modified,  and I am not sure which are original or not.  . .   after looking enough,  I am sure a pattern will develop in my mind. Confused

I can not read the serial plate at all.   I looked really close at it this morning.    This evening, I am going to take some close up photos,  to see if magnification will help.

On posting photos,  I did have the size reduced,   so it was either a internet connection issue last night,  or something to do with the forum server.  . .  I got everything to upload this morning.

Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:01pm
I can't speak for the rest of the trailer, but I have that same hitch on my tow bar that someone crudely welded/bolted on.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:56pm
The coupler is not original - again go to our Bantam website and look at the fulton coupler section.  The brace on the frame above the booster spring is original  - of course the coil spring is not.
The tow chains look original (and are a very hard to find item).  Some pf those numbers on the Bantam tag are very hard to read.  3122 seems logical.  Did you already get the data to Art?  Because I see it listed in the database, or is that the person you bought it from?
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 10:05pm

Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

Because I see it listed in the database, or is that the person you bought it from?

Dang it!  Text book case of me posting before the coffee had taken effect!  Dave thanks for posting that.  Now I see what I missed!  I too checked the old database but my brain only had three digits. 

Looking again, I see that trailer was listed as “for sale” then.  Who knows how many hands it went through from there to Jeepfever.

The three tie downs and the solid (no holes) shackle mounts put it further along than I originally thought. 

The database indicated it had combat rims.  Are they still on?

Edit:  I see from your other post that the combat rims are there!  Nice project!

Edited by Rus Curtis - 30 May 2013 at 10:08pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

The coupler is not original - again go to our Bantam website and look at the fulton coupler section.  The brace on the frame above the booster spring is original  - of course the coil spring is not.
The tow chains look original (and are a very hard to find item).  Some pf those numbers on the Bantam tag are very hard to read.  3122 seems logical.  Did you already get the data to Art?  Because I see it listed in the database, or is that the person you bought it from?
I looked thru the Bantam website closer last night.  . .  Great resource!

Those tow hooks are huge,  I originally thought that they must have been added later.  LOL

Last night I took close-up photo of serial plate.    I can see no evidence of the "3" in serial number.  The plate has a lot of scratches at the top,   almost looks like something fell against the trailer at one point, and wiped away a lot of the stamping.  The stamping does end in a very faint "1 2 2",   which does match with the title's "3122"

Art had already added the info.  Yes, I bought it from John.   I do intend to send more photos later to update the database.

Thanks for everyone's help!

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 3:28pm
Your safety chain hooks are correct and left over from the Bantam T3 military trailers as are the Combat Wheels. The 4 digit serial number in the 3XXX range is consistant with the early hitch casting, 3 canvas tie down hooks, V notch tongue gusset, and deletion of the T3 parking bracket mounting holes in the front frame crossmember and backout light switch hole in the front rh side frame gusset.

The hitch coupler is obviously added and is an early ACME Brand (I think).

When you get some time wire brush the reflector bezels and tell me the brand and Model numbers of the Bezels and the reflector lenses.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 3:33am
This trailer only has one reflector remaining, and it is rusted badly. Would the model number be on the backside? I have not wire brushed, but do not see any evidence of any stamping on the front. Here is a photo that shows the lens info. (Stimsonite #12)

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 2:26pm
It should be on the front at the top and possibly at the bottom too.

Something like Grote Model 100 and Mount Holly New Jersey as an example but I'm pulling this from my 50 yr old memory which is pretty fuzzy.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 5:15pm
I am starting repairs on the tailgate.

What "size" should the hinge be?   It is tough to tell looking thru various photos.  Seems to be a lot of mods in that area. Confused

The Tailgate on mine has two different size.   Both are 3.5 inch long,  but one on left side has 5/8 dia hinge,  and other has 1/2" diameter.

Photo of progress so far,  along with pieces cut out:

photo I found what looks to be nice example of original,  this seems to have "fat" hinges.

Edited by JeepFever - 04 Aug. 2013 at 5:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 11:11pm
jeepfever,
Mine appear to be closer to 5/8"

There were earlier posts on these hinges that may help:

Hope this helps.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply