Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squeezed a SB Chevy in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeezed a SB Chevy in
    Posted: 17 June 2013 at 3:09pm
The previous owners shoved a Chevy 350 in my 2a but never finished putting it together.  They got an Advanced Adapter to mate it up with the original T90 transmission.
Everything was installed correctly and looks really nice, but I'm concerned with running that much power through the T90, Dana 18, drivelines, and axles.  Can all the stock running gear handle a V8?

Thanks!

Sean
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 3:28pm
It's all in your right foot..Wink

Short answer is yes, driven sensibly it will be fine.

Opinions will  vary. Smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 4:03pm
I figured as much.  My whole purpose for building this 2a isn't for a restoration to drive in parades.  I actually want to use it for light trail runs and as a hunting rig.  Maybe I should look at getting a different tranny/t-case.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 4:22pm
An SBC 350 is way overkill for a 2250 pound 2A, in my opinion. But there have been a lot of stock train trains handling 283s, 327s, and 350s. 

Instead of a new transmission and Tcase, it would be cheaper (and maybe better) to plant a 4.3 V6 Chevy using the same adaptor -- and it will fit nicely n the engine bay.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by banjoguy banjoguy wrote:

...... Maybe I should look at getting a different tranny/t-case.
I wouldn't.  The T-90, T-18 and D41 will hold up.  Drive with confidence.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 4:38pm
Yep....what Jeff said.

As a disclaimer though, what you're probably not going to like about it though is the 350 coupled to the low gearing. But if all you're after is an off road rig it probably won't worry you too bad.

Sounds like it's not going to be a daily driver anyway.

That said, if you could somehow find a situation where the 350 could be traded for a good 4.3 somewhat evenly then I think the difference in the weight and the somewhat easier swap could be beneficial.

Edited by rocnroll - 17 June 2013 at 4:43pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

An SBC 350 is way overkill for a 2250 pound 2A

Maybe I've come from a different arena, but it seems dropping a V8 into a jeep has been the offroad jeeper's standard "first upgrade".  My dad and grandpa both have 350's in their Toyota FJ-40's, and I have several other friends with CJ-5's with AMC 360's or SB chevs.

I like the idea of the 4.3 and thought about finding one just to resolve the radiator clearance problem i'm having. 

Sean
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 10:10pm
The FJ40 is a heavier (and larger) vehicle -- I know, I had one that I put a 283 SBC into. The problem with the SBC in a 2A is:

1. Length - some people have to hammer on the firewall to get the rear mounted disty to fit. Others have your problem - radiator clearance.

2. Cooling - the FJ40 has a much larger radiator - designed to cool an in-line six cylinder engine. The radiator in a 2A isn't always adequate to cool a SBC - especially at trial speeds. So to make this transplant work you will alter your drive lines, tranny crossmember, radiator... maybe more stuff as well. 

If I was going to go away from the L134, I would opt for a Chevy V6 - either the 60 degree or 90 degree engines - plenty of torque for such a light weight vehicle and much easier to cool.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
banjoguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjoguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 3:24am
Good advise!  I think I'll pull the SBC out and look for a v6.  The SBC is already in there, but it looks like the PO put in a weird body lift to give clearance.  Gunna have to weigh all these options.

Sean
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by banjoguy banjoguy wrote:

Good advise!  I think I'll pull the SBC out and look for a v6.  The SBC is already in there, but it looks like the PO put in a weird body lift to give clearance.  Gunna have to weigh all these options.

Sean

My 2 cents:  The 350 is going to have considerably more low end torque than any 4.3 and will be a much more pleasurable experience off or on road.  Yes, you will need a different radiator, but the stock ones really shouldn't be used with a 4.3 either.  If the engine is already in, you should have a good handle on the firewall clearence, but you should be able to fit the distributor without carving up the firewall.

If one drives with a rather light right foot, the stock drive train will stay together.  The D18 will not care.  I ran my 3B with a not mild 327 and all stock drive train for 2 years without a single problem.  You most definately will want to add an overdrive.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 1:44pm
If It's already in there, why don't you just drive it and judge for yourself?  Sounds to me like it would not take much to get it going as is.  If you don't like the SB, you can always switch it out later.  I don't think you will have a problem with the stock drive train.  Just run it and if you blow something up, fix or replace it.  If after driving it, you decide you need an over drive, add it.  If you don't have the funds, drive it till you get the funds.  My point is, you don't have to do it all at once.  JM2C.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 1:48pm
.... unless you have a lot of money.  In that case, go for it!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeepjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 10:03am
Ive got a SBC in my 2a.  to solve the radiator issues the PO cut the backing of the grill out to fit the radiator.  Mine isnt much more than the slots and lights.  Since I was rebuilding mine I shaved the back side of 2 of my center slots to fit a pusher fan.  I have about 1/2" between fan and Rad and 1/2" between water pump pully and rad.

Take a few min and look at your frame in the engine bay.  The PO got mine so hot from welding in mounts that it twisted and cracked.  
My Jeep won a war, Your Honda mowed my yard!
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by jeepjunky jeepjunky wrote:

Ive got a SBC in my 2a.  to solve the radiator issues the PO cut the backing of the grill out to fit the radiator.  Mine isnt much more than the slots and lights.  Since I was rebuilding mine I shaved the back side of 2 of my center slots to fit a pusher fan.  I have about 1/2" between fan and Rad and 1/2" between water pump pully and rad.
Yep, the grill extension on the back side has to come off for a V8.  There should be room for a mechanical fan and 3/4" radiator/fan clearence if you position the engine right and pick a radiator to fit.  There is nothing that says the radiator needs to be vertical and it can be avantageous to tilt the top back to match the plane of the fan, especially if using a relatively wide cross flow radiator.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
curbcrawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbcrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 1:26am
I would like to come out of "lurk mode" if i may, and chime in. I put in a sbc 350 in  my 2a after having engine( cracked head)/tranny problems. I landed on the 350 because I loved the sound of a v8 and the price (125.00) was right. As a side note, I have a sm465 mated to a dana 300 and Im running a d30 up front and amc 20 in the rear. If I had it to do all over again, I would go with a v6 and go all mechanical. To get the fit I wanted, I used 2 electric fans in a push/pull configuration, electric water pump with all the march bracketry and pulleys to bring all my belts and power steering out of the radiator. I use a 2 core aluminum rad. from Summit racing. All said this thing runs cool, pulls real hard and is way over-kill.  I may still put a 4.3 in this old jeep and use the 350 for a hot rod or something. I would post some pics but i dont know how. 
Modified
munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2013 at 12:18am
I put a L82 Corvette engine in front of a quality rebuild T90 , stock drivtrain with no problems. One negative is trying to plant that much power to the ground, to easy to break the tires loose . I have drove a flatfender 75 MPH and it is pretty scary .
 Post Reply Post Reply