Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Willys for my bird dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Willys for my bird dogs
    Posted: 22 June 2013 at 6:01pm
I have been posting here on and off for several years.

My title shows that I bought my '47 CJ2A on June 17, 1998 - 15 years ago! It spent most of its life in a vineyard inNorthern California. I have been using this Jeep for bird hunting with my setters. As a hunting Jeep I simply required that it run - looks didn't matter much. The only thing I did to it was overhaul the T90 and install Warn full floating rear with internal locking hubs so that I could dial open the hubs and tow it to my hunting areas.

A couple of years ago it failed to run. I was busy and threw a tarp over it intending to get around to fixing it 'soon'. I have finally gotten around to it and discovered that the no. 1 piston had seized in the meanwhile and I have not been able to get it loose for love or money. The good news is that the truck has most of it's original parts and has not been seriously messed with. The bad new is that... a.) it does not run, b.) the body has corrosion problems, and c.) it is sprung over (I will correct this), and d.) it doesn't RUN.

I decided it was high time to go through the entire vehicle and refresh everything.

I have stripped all the small bits out of the Jeep and cleaned, checked and re-painted the parts as they came off. These are stored in zip-lock bags and labeled so I have a better chance of not losing anything important. 

Here's the stripped down Jeep...

When I got the Jeep, it had these nice shiny aluminium quarter panel protectors on it. They were Hell to get off... Had to drill our most them - hardened screws.

Of course, underneath the bling was a different story...

My solution to the body problem was to buy a better tub. I found a 1948 'lefty' tub locally and bought it, along with fuel tank, complete windshield, and tailgate for a reasonable price... I think that it will not require as much work as my original tub.

I also bought a running engine from a '46 from a member here who is converting to diesel. I also traded a stash of spare parts - not needed - for new repop seat frame, rear floor, and a couple of small bits. I bought a full set of Crown leaf springs. 

Nest step is to pull the tub and send BOTH tubs to my body shop in hopes of making one complete, corrosion free tub. I have redone the the fenders and grille and they look excellent.

I look forward to bird doggin' in style when this is done...

Edited by Mike S - 22 June 2013 at 7:16pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 7:56pm
Looks good, your lucky to find another tub, we here in the rust belt would consider your original tub very good!, LOL. Jeeps aside, what kind of birds do you hunt, one of my favorites is pheasants, but getting hard to find places to hunt around home, I used to hunt eastern Montana for years but just got to costly with the oil boom. Few things in life more exciting than watching a good dog work a field and flush birds.

Best of luck on your Jeep and hunt, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 9:06pm
Looks like your making good progress on the jeep!

Nice looking dog! Brittney?, maybe? Spent most of my spare time I'm my childhood chasing bobwhites with my dad.

Gary

51 CJ-3A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 9:16pm
I hunt birds al over the West - from Saskatchewan to Oklahoma & Texas and a lot in Montana, Oregon, and California. So I am hunting quail, sharptail  grouse, prairie chickens, Hungarian partridges, chukars, blue and ruffed grouse, and the occasional pheasant.

The dog in the picture is Ted - an English setter.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 10:36pm
Those diamond plated corners served their purpose, covering up ugly stuff. My jeep has diamond plate covering the whole tub! I'd love to remove it but the tub might fall apart without it.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
willys522000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys522000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 2:23pm
Great project with lots of potential, awesome dog too.

Brett.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 2:38am
I have been getting on with the project and am ready to pull the tub off the chassis. I will strip the chassis and clean and paint, then start building back with new springs, shackles, bushings, etc. SInce this will be primarily a trail/hunting Jeep, I am thinking of installing a Power Lock in the rear D41, which already has a Warn FF conversion and VERY strong axles.

I met with my engine builder today and went over the engine. We are doing a complete tear down to check everything, Minimum will be a hone and rings, new bearings, studs, shave the block deck and the head and get the valves done. I will decide when I get his report next week. It is tempting to do a total, high quality rebuild for many trouble free miles. 

I'll try to post pictures of the progress as we move along with engine, drive train, chassis and body.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 4:54am
Mike,
It sounds like the engine will be getting a total rebuild. After decking, bearings, and honing, there isn't much left other than checking the cam and crankshaft and a few other things. Once you are going through the effort of taking everything apart, why not go the extra mile and finish it off? I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild, and I am looking forward to not having to worry about engine problems. After all, most of these jeeps, if not all, we're rode hard and put away wet. They deserve a little tlc.

I have a thread of my engine rebuild if you are interested. I can post the link, or you can look for "the voyage begins" in My Jeep Project section. I think my engine is looking great. I can't wait to hear it purr...
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 5:29am
You are right. That seems to be the direction I'm heading. Is it worth balancing, do you think? I have seen you engine thread and it is looking good. I will go back and have another look.

I am also considering going to a T90C with the slightly lower 1st and 2nd gear... actually, I'd love to do a T98 or SM 420. That may have to wait for another build.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 5:47am
I haven't decided on balancing yet. To balance everything will cost 300 bucks, that's for the crankshaft, flywheel with pressure plate, rods and pistons. That price is from a small shop about 1.5 hours away from me. I would like to see if I can watch the process, and find out how much it's out of balance. That way I can see if it needed it, and if it's worth doing next time.

There seems to be mixed opinions on balancing these engines. The machine shop said its not necessary, and people on here are split on the benefits. However, I would like to do it, after all, I've come this far, why not spend the 300 and have a smoother engine? I just have to save up more money before I make any more progress on the engine. But I'm in no hurry because it's a replacement engine and the engine in the jeep is still running. Besides, I just bought new floors and hat channels from Walcks, that's my next project, floors are important. Haha
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 5:18pm
Yea I would think balancing it could only do good, if you can spare the extra $ to have it done?
2a #40500
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2013 at 9:13pm
Spent the morning getting the tub loose and ready to lift off. I have the steering wheel puller on under tension and have doused the hub with Liquid Wrench. Waiting for oil, sun, and pressure to get the wheel loose.

At the rear of the tub, drilled through the floor and rear hat channel and bolted to the cross member were two nasty stove bolts. No way to grab them to remove the nut. My Tiger saw with a carbide grit blade made short work of them. I don't recall if these are 'factory' or an 'enhancement'? 

BTW, the engine builder is Rich Olivier at TEM Performance (TEMPerformance.com).

Edited by Mike S - 13 July 2013 at 9:28pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 9:51pm
Steering gear, control arm (drag link), and steering column out and c;leaned up a bit. Got about 2-1/2 lbs of caked on dirt, old grease, and schmutz off the box and column. Ready to remove tub when I can get a hand to help.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 5:20am
Tub is off. Cleaning up the frame. Pulling the transmission and TC this weekend to take to the rebuilder.

Waiting to hear from the engine builder.

Pix on the weekend.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 11:15am
Cool. Look forward to the pics.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 3:14am
Progress...

Tub off and getting down to serious disassembly...

Tranny iand Tcase are now out and in my truck for delivery to rebuilder on Wednesday. Jeep Roger is 'consulting' on steering system.

Time to clean up the chassis, reverse the spring-over, and start building back up. Angle grinder and cut-off wheel will fix this...

I bought Daniel Buck's engine and it is in fair shape. But I will have the rebuilder do a full-on rebuild for performance and reliability. Expect to have it back in a couple of weeks...

All for now.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 6:11pm
Engine rebuild

My engine builder (TEM Machine Shop in Napa, CA) is planning on a full rebuild, re-using the crank, rods, and camshaft. Line boring, big end re-condidioning of the rods, crank polish, deck and head resurfaced with new studs, hardened valve seats, and all new bearings, valves, .020 over pistons, and a new HD set of timing gears and chain have been located and purchased. 

He cc'd the head (non-ribbed '46) on the current engine and the head (ribbed) from my original engine. The  non-ribbed head is 85cc. Other (ribbed) head is 73cc. We will use the higher compression ribbed head.

Meanwhile, I will be working on chassis, brakes and new suspension and the body shop will be re-habilitating the tub - followed by flat Harvest Tan paint. I expect that the body work will be the gating item on the work completion. I hope to have it running by early Spring of 2014.

Pretty much on schedule. Big smile

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 7:09pm
Getting some thing done... drive train is out...

Cleaning and assessing modifications and damage. I have removed a lot of dirt and schmutz from the chassis. Wondering if I should neutralize rust and get some primer on the frame to project it while I finish other needed work?

Have a crack in the front crossmember... this will be welded up and ground smooth.

Need to get these additional shock mounts off - they were added to effect the spring over the previous owner did. Angle grinder and cut-off disc is hard to manoeuvre in this tight space.

It looks like some type of PTO implement was fitted to this Jeep at one time... these holes are on both sides of the frame. Planning on welding an 18 gauge backing plate inside the frame and filling/grinding the outside. These frames are not all that strong and can use a bit of re-enforcement. 

Meanwhile, I have ordered a Lock-Right for the Dana 41 rear - it should work fine with the Warn FF axle set-up currently in place. Also ordered the mainshaft and cluster for a T90C ( lower first gear) and had it sent to the transmission rebuilder for installation. He is also looking to see if he can supply a later Dana 18 with the lower reduction ratio and larger (1-1/4") output shaft. Both these should improve the low end performance when I'm in the back country.

I also ordered a 9-1/4" HD clutch for installation on the flywheel. The engine builder is planning on re-surfacing the flywheel and will drill and tap for the larger pressure plate. The flywheel will then be balanced.

No work on the tub yet. 

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>