Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Willys for my bird dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2014 at 1:00am
Clutch is on it's way to Herm for fitting into a fixture to tweak the pressure plate and clutch plate.

The Carter Fuel filter arrived from Scout Pilot and looks awesome on the engine.

Rebuilt water pump (the original one from my other engine) is on it's way to me from the rebuilder.

Got a Millermatic 130 sitting in the shop, have to go pick up some gas and welding supplies tomorrow.

I also received the R&P dual master cylinder kit from R&P 4X4 in Oregon. Very well done, but I will have to remove the old shaft support from the frame and fit the newer type in its place. I have some grinding and drilling to get this fitted up, then new SS brake lines and clips.

Got bored yesterday and WAXED the new paint on the chassis... God, I'm sick with the fever! Maybe the mud won't stick too bad on the wax?

Edited by Mike S - 30 Jan. 2014 at 1:51am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2014 at 1:47am
I had to do some grinding on my frame as well for the dual MC kit.  Mine had a little section about 3 inches wide that boxed the frame just in that area.  Apparently this isn't on all of the frames. 

I was already cutting and grinding to get the motormounts and battery box off though, so I didn't mind.

2a #40500
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2014 at 1:50am
That little box section is on mine, and the tube support overlaps it. I will be removing the entire thing - box plate and tube support. I think you used the same R&P kit, didn't you Daniel?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2014 at 12:47am
Finally got around to cutting off the pedal shaft support and associated bracket. felt weird REMOVING stuff from the Jeep. I expect to finish mounting the R&P dual MC kit soon and will post pictures.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 2:07am
Well - it's been a busy year and I have been waiting for the body work on the tub to be completed. It is NOT happening. A guy I know (mechanic) wanted to trade me some of my merchandise for the tub work. SO I took the tub and got it and the rest of the body parts sandblasted and transported them to my warehouse/workspace. Somehow it has not been done. It is beyond my competence and patience to do this work myself. The chassis and engine are ready. Body is not. The dogs and I are frustrated at making no progress for nearly 10 months.

So today I spoke with Willys Overland to explore a complete CJ2A 'RepliTub' purchase. I do not need the fenders. hood, tailgate or windshield - just a tub. At $4K delivered it is pricey, but I and REALLY tired of looking at my beautiful, but partly completed project. 

Anyone buy a RepliTub from WO? Experience? I'm thinking will pull the trigger unless a miracle happens.

Edited by Mike S - 22 Jan. 2015 at 2:09am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 4:44pm
Mike,

I am nearing completion of my 47 CJ2A restoration of the family Jeep. (Lifetime of Jeep Memories in the Jeep Project forum). I opted for the body tub replacement since the amount of rust on my old body was extensive and felt the tub would be a better option based on the number of hours it would have taken to do all the repairs on my old one.

My understanding is that there is only one body tub manufacturer and all suppliers get them from the same place and ship directly to the consumer from the source. I actually bought mine from Walck's 4WD. It comes via UPS Freight and requires a dock or fork lift to receive it. UPS Freight seems to be the shipping preference of the manufacturer.

Trust me, it is not a 'drop in' solution by any means. My frame is square and flat but the body tub was tweaked a bit and it took a some effort to fit it down properly. Thanks to the input from those with more experience on this forum I knew to check a whole list of things before painting and re-assembly; that is to say things like pedal holes were not cut, instrument panel holes were undersized etc.. Adrian from New Zealand gave me a whole list of things to check before painting; again see my post under projects for his list. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I went with the new tub. Now I know that I have no rust problems hidden anywhere to plague me in the future as I intend to drive my Jeep hunting quail in central Oregon next fall. Valley Quail are my favorite and it is good to see another hunter with similar interests!

I have friends here in Roseburg with various skills (painting, welding, transmission/transfer case rebuilds and metal fabrication which have made my restoration progress rapidly. I started October 31st and plan to be driving it by next month. I am actually farther along on the project than my posts show but have been too busy working on it to keep up the posts. We just painted the final color coat (red) last weekend and will be re-assembling today. Picking up new springs tomorrow in Portland and will be doing the wiring harness next.

Hope this gives you some idea of my experiences with the replacement tub.

Darrell
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 4:57pm
Thanks, Darrell, for your response. I know that MD Juan makes all the tubs sold by dealers here, including Omix-Ada. The experience that you describe seems to be universal with people who have purchased the MD Juan/Omix Ada tubs.

Willys Overland says that they buy these tubs and 'fix' them so that they fit correctly in just a few hours. They have a set of jigs that they built to get the mounting tub alignments correct, fenders, tailgate, etc. These tubs are called "RepliTubs' and cost about $3600 plus crating and delivery. They do not have a couple bits - dual tank hold downs, top bow side pockets, and probably other things that I am not aware of. I am considering on because I have stalled on my project at the tub phase. I do not have the skills or patience to undertake a restoration of the tub by myself. ANd the guy who was going to do the work has not done anything in eight months. 

So I am hoping that someone hear has some experience with the WO RepliTub product and can tell me how this product worked on their rebuild.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 7:54pm
Mike,

Thanks for the education on the tubs. I wasn't aware of that service offered by anyone or I would have considered it myself. I even had to cut a moon shaped piece out of the shifter opening and weld it on the back side of the hole so the shifter would center properly on the opening. All done now though and we are re-assembling everything starting today.

If you get up Oregon way, let me know and perhaps we can make a meet sometime. I like to go hunting in the area south of Burns Oregon in November but make multiple trips to the Christmas Valley/Silver Lake area during the summer to shoot sage rats (small ground squirrels) in the alfalfa fields as well.

Good luck on getting back in the saddle and back in the fields! Big smile

Darrell
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 10:46pm
Red Dog - thanks. I do get up to Oregon and hunt in the NE - Grande Ronde/Wenaha/Joseph Creek.

I used to shoot sand rats in the alfalfa fields around Beatty, OR - it's a hoot.

Edited by Mike S - 22 Jan. 2015 at 10:48pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 11:31pm
Hello guys, there are only three direct importers of tubs in the USA Ron Fitzpatrick, D&L Bensinger, and Omix-ADA.  Walcks, Willys Overland, Kaiser Willys, and others drop ship there body kits from Omix ADA in Georgia.  Occasionally, they will store some kits in there own warehouses.  If you want the most up to date product, purchase from Ron Fitzpatrick or Darrel Bensinger as the kits that are dropped shipped from Omix-ADA are just stock that could have been sitting for years.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 12:20am
Jay at WO told me that he purchases directly from MD Juan in the Phillipines. That (on the RepliTubs at least) he then works over the MD Juan product using his own jigs, etc. and ships them ready to install.

He can't be drop shipping the RepliTubs if he is adding value by reworking them and correcting problems. It may be true that for 'regular' bodies and kits he has them drop shipped.

Something wrong with this picture?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 12:38am
WO buy their kits from Omix-ADA who import from MD Juan in the Philippines.  If you want the jig replitub holes drilled then they procure a tub/kit, drill the holes, then ship; however, if you just buy a kit without modification, it's dropped shipped. The only direct importers of MD Juan products in the USA are Ron, Darrel, and Omix.  Check out the following link:

http://mdjuan.com.ph/dealers/?dealer-category=north-america

44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 1:44am
If that is the case Mike your shipping costs from Ron would have to be cheaper then anyone back east. If you couldn't justify grabbing a 8' trailer and running up to Central Point just above the Oregon Border and picking it up in person.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 2:17am
Because I am in the Roof top tent business (AutoHomeUSA) I ship a lot of stuff. Jay will crate the tub for less than I have to charge and I wil have my contract carrier pick it up. Possibly.

No problem to go to Oregon, Mark, I can get there and back in a day. But I am most interested in the RepliTub promise of not having to dick around with the product - at this point I just want to finish it before OverLand Expo in May and drive the frickin' thing! I can weld in the fuel tank strap anchors, the rear bow carriers, and the side bow pockets. 

Need to finish tub, wire harness install, paint and finish.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 3:27am
jeep looks good..
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 6:30am
Originally posted by 54willysjeep 54willysjeep wrote:

jeep looks good..

Thank you. Sometimes I look at it and see only how much work I still have to do. Loss of perspective, they call it.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Originally posted by 54willysjeep 54willysjeep wrote:

jeep looks good..

Thank you. Sometimes I look at it and see only how much work I still have to do. Loss of perspective, they call it.

you are right there is a lot of work to do. but when you finish you will appreciate all that work when you drive it.

I felt the same way on my 54 3B and now I started a 46 since I wanted to build another one.

don't worry you'll get it done.
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2015 at 3:25am
I have re-started and made some progress. Thanks to Red Dog I found a body and paint resource in Oregon and hauled my two tubs and all my body parts up to him last week. Long story short, I am ordering a Willys Overland Repli-Tub tomorrow. It will be sent to the shop in Oregon.

I sent out my seats and wheels to be sand blasted and powder coated last week and rec'd them back today. Beautiful work --  the wheels are cream colored and the seats dark metallic gray. I think this will look good with the satin light tan color we have chosen for the body color. 

Now I need to finish up the brakes and get the drivetrain installed and get the chassis to the shop in Oregon.

I will have a lot of stuff for sale in a few weeks.

Film at eleven.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>