Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield frame quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield frame quality
    Posted: 14 July 2013 at 5:53pm
I just patched and welded the 2A windshield frame  for the third time.It solid now but ugly and will likely crack again so time for a new frame. Be nice if i could buy just the outer part since my Jeeps inner frame is good with newer glass.
  I assume the frames sold by the usual  vendors are made in Asia? Has anyone bought one that seen some use so you can say it's held up ok?
  Pete Debella has his listed as "price on request"...generally he has surplus or USA made parts...

47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
TheRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 6:01pm
I would tend to stay away from Debella as he does have an attitude...but his parts are pretty good. Another option would be to put a wanted ad up here and elsewhere. Sometimes eBay has good origionals up. My MB had a bad inner frame and it was replaced with another origional in good shape from the west.

I would avoid any Asian parts on these jeeps
Effected by the Rule of Unitended Consequence. All the best -R
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 6:38pm
To actually answer a couple of questions, the repro windshield frames are all from MD Juan as far as I know.
My repro MB windshield frame has been ok for 7 years, it's been bent a few times but it still holds up.

I may have an extra original in a few weeks if you are not in a hurry.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 6:51pm
Midwest military makes very nice ones, and "made in USA"

here is a link, must specify CJ2Ahttp://www.midwestmilitary.net/mbgpwpartsp2.html

HTH, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 8:54pm
Russnj, what were the curcumstances to your windshield being bent a few times? Just curious.
willys jeep
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

I may have an extra original in a few weeks if you are not in a hurry.

PM sent
Hoosierhiker33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosierhiker33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 12:47am
i have an outer you could for parts, the arms are shot but the rest is soild.Send a pm if interested
Patina is for those without sand blasters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:04am
The arms are shot on mine. One was previously rusted and sorta repaired with a lot of brazing years ago.I cut out the brazed area and hand formed sheet metal. Then it cracks and inch away,fix that,cracks again. The metal is fatigued.....The main section is well used but functional.
  It's ok for now ....until it cracks again. Wink
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:30am
Don't be too down on MD Juan. They have been making great strides in product improvements. You might be surprised.................a good original is always a better find.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
TheRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:36am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Don't be too down on MD Juan. They have been making great strides in product improvements. You might be surprised.................a good original is always a better find.Big smile

Never been a big fan of putting foreign made parts on my jeep. MDjuan is a last resort.

Here is thier info...there are something there that make me suspect.
http://www.mdjuan.com.ph/index.php/about-us/
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

Russnj, what were the curcumstances to your windshield being bent a few times? Just curious.

It was being used as an grab handle while off-roading.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by TheRaven TheRaven wrote:

I would tend to stay away from Debella as he does have an attitude...but his parts are pretty good.

I would avoid any Asian parts on these jeeps

Pete Debella does come off a bit rude at first. He's from the NYC area LOL  I have no problem with him and he always warms up as the conversation continues.That and I am rude myself being from NJ...

I called Debella and he only has access to Juan made frames that he said to avoid....

Another link here is to frames made by Mid West...Looking through their site it appears that only make inner frames.

I'll wait for a used one to pop up..............
TheRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 9:09pm
Interesting to hear a good report about Debella. Perhaps he is a bit better than I give him credit for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by TheRaven TheRaven wrote:

Interesting to hear a good report about Debella. Perhaps he is a bit better than I give him credit for?

I've ordered three or four times,bought  small parts and a set of leaf springs from Pete.The prices were usually better than competitive, fast shipping with reasonable cost and made in USA parts. 
   Walck's is not like DeBella but sometimes you need to pry the words out of their mouths LOL

jay g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 8:59pm
I have a md juan windshield frame on my 46 I spent about 14 hours cutting it apart and reforming the tube that sits on top of the cowl original lollipops would not work on it either welded an original latch on bottom to keep windshield shut inner frames were scrappy too and needed work originals would not fit in the md juan frame
Jay g
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 4:55am
Thanks Ruusnj for the reply . Been away from the computer for a couple of days. Yes, that will do it no matter if it is an original or repop windshield frame. I tell my wife when she get's into our 45 GPW to use the rifle rack for support, NOT the corner of the windshield frame. 
willys jeep
RommelJuan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2013 at 8:36am
Hi Here are the improvements that MDJuan has made regarding the Windshields :) FYI :)

Keeping em rolling from the Far East!

All for One at MDJuan!

http://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
http://www.twitter.com/mdjuanjeepparts
RommelJuan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RommelJuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2013 at 8:41am
We also installed an original windshield glass on our repro windshield to chek if it fits.

Keeping em rolling from the Far East!

All for One at MDJuan!

http://www.facebook.com/MDJuanjeeps
http://www.twitter.com/mdjuanjeepparts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>