Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

curious indent on M-38A1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curious indent on M-38A1
    Posted: 19 Aug. 2013 at 8:45pm
What is the indent on passenger side used for??  I was on the 503 and nobody answered my question.

Thanks,
1946 CJ2A #72643

gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2013 at 9:40pm
To the best of my knowledge it's for the jumper receptacle for jumping another Jeep with dead batterys.
The military thinks of everthing.
Jerry
FrankUSMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2013 at 9:47pm
Slave cable receptacle as gearwrencher said.
The slave cables were jumper cables with special plugs on the end. When you had a vehicle or a piece of equipment that needed jump because of a dead battery, you just plugged the ends in. Very easy and a lot safer than jumper cables.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET 
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2013 at 3:39am
Although the indent was designed for a slave cable connection port, you will hard pressed to fine many M38A1's with the connection port installed.  At the time of introduction, most wheeled vehicles were still six volt or twelve volt at the best, with the M38 being an exception.

When installed on the M38, the connection port was under passenger front fender.

By the time of the M151 series, all had an easy access slave receptacle connection port installed and all wheeled and track vehicles were 24 volt. 

I hope I got this right.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2013 at 5:46pm
Thank you all.  I have seen the NATO version.  Makes sense and I agree, safer.

1946 CJ2A #72643

Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2013 at 6:35pm
This is what it looks like on a M38.  The M38A1 uaed the same slave cable, it was just mounted in the indent.

1952 M38
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2013 at 12:32am
Far as I know this was for use with the 24v aircraft systems, ie for starting the aircraft engine.

My A1 is typical- doesn't have it or the complete fording system.
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2013 at 3:02pm
The 24V system was for commonality with other ground vehicles and being able to slave them or jump them. when the M38a1 was used most of the other trucks tracks etc where 24v and had similar plugs. 
Glenn
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2013 at 5:10pm
Military aircraft are all 24 volt as well.
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2013 at 5:45pm
Being a ground pounder I thought so (on the AC) But the experience I have is using a jeep to jump a Track (m113 etc) or the other way around. 
Glenn
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2013 at 4:37pm
The ground vehicle use makes sense- lots more of them than aircraft. And having the jeeps able to jump tracked vehicles, etc would give some redundancy to the system back when battery technology was nothing like it is today.
 Post Reply Post Reply