Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know Saabs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know Saabs?
    Posted: 03 Sep. 2013 at 10:15pm
Anyone out there familiar with Saabs?

Just picked up a 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo not too long ago. Was running fine for a little while but recently upon a warm start the engine (whole car) will vibrate rather violently - even stalled out once after 5-10 seconds of rough idling. I can usually turn the car off and back on again almost immediately and the problem temporarily corrects itself, until the next time it starts to acts up. The engine malfunction light will come on and off when the car decides to do this and usually not long after I lose power, especially on inclines; on a 25-30 degree incline you can have the pedal to the floor and it barely crawls up the hill. I also noticed the fuel economy seems to have decreased significantly from a car that used to get good fuel mileage.

I haven't had the car checked with a computer yet (I'm afraid to Ouch). Any ideas? Could I be lucky enough to have a really dirty air filter?

Edited by CmK - 03 Sep. 2013 at 10:22pm
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
Bret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2013 at 10:39pm
I've owned a couple of 900's in the past, one turbocharged. I had good luck with mine. A friend had a 1998 9-3 Turbo that caused her fits, she loved the car when it was running, but the problems eventually overwhelmed her and her bank account She had problems with the crankshaft sensor, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter and the power steering pump pulley fell apart.
Have you tried googling 9-3 with the symptoms? There are web sites like this one that deal with the 9-3's that may be of help. Hope your problem is a simple one. Good luck!!
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2013 at 11:37pm
Hello Bret,

I agree with your friend...I love the 9-3, when it's running as it should...

I've done a little browsing my symptoms via Google but have yet to find anything which sounds really similar. Maybe I'll try signing up to a Saab specialty forum and asking there if no luck here.

Thanks,
Cordell

CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2013 at 6:33pm
I'd put my money on an electronic ignition-related misfire problem. Had that happened to me once in my Audi A4 2.0 Turbo. I was cruising down the highway and all of the sudden the whole thing started shuddering and the engine light came on. I lost 80% of the engine power and the whole thing was running so rough I had to pull over and shut it down at a gas station.

A tow to the dealer and a recalled warranty part (along with $400 of other affected crap not covered) and I was back on my merry way.

Sounds to me with the rough idle and loss of power that it's a misfiring/timing issue controlled by something electronic.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2013 at 5:18am
Good to know... just curious, when you shut it down at the gas station, do you recall trying to restart it?

I've decided to also post the issue on a Saab specialty forum and I'm going to try to borrow a scanner from Advanced Auto Parts and see if I can get some codes...
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
emtdpf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emtdpf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2013 at 5:43pm
I brought my 9.3 to a garage for them to diagnose... it was there for a week and they had no clue.

mine would shake as you described when I went to put on the brakes........ in drive.

in neutral, was fine,

everytime O came to a stop, i would shift into neutral and on a start up, put in drive and step on the gas fast.  It eventually did what yours was doing.  I deemed in unsafe and took it off the road.

I didnt pay myuch for the car....1200 and I got 2 good years out it.  I ended up trading it in on a newer car.

word was that it had somthing to do with the tranny.  but I can not confirm
My check engine light never can on during any of the problems.......so it was kind of hard to throw a card reader on it.....

it would have taken a lot more money than I wanted to spend to get it diagosed again / and or fixed.

Good luck with yours
Don
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2013 at 6:27pm
Don, that's not very encouraging LOL.... Although mine seems fine when it's moving, at least when the problem does not occur on start-up; I have not attempted to drive it when it started and idled rough (vibrated violently). I just turned it off and back on again and it was fine, besides the loss of power that usually followed....

I did manage to go to Advanced Auto Parts the other day and borrow their auto scanner, I got the following codes:

P0300
Random - Multiple Misfire Detected CONFIRMED

P0636
Throttle Actuator Control Range / Performance (Bank 1) CONFIRMED

P0638
Throttle Actuator Control Range / Performance (Bank 1) PENDING
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
 Post Reply Post Reply