Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am moving....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 3:21pm
Sounds like fun.
The Fez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 3:23pm
There will be an excellent beer and a plate of Pacific oysters waiting for you at the Ft. George Brewing Company overlooking the Columbia River in Astoria. Keep that in mind as you make the journey. Oregon State has some of the best beer in the US, IMHO.
Dennis Braam
North Vancouver, BC
1947 Willys CJ2A https://sites.google.com/site/willyscj2ajeep/
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:09pm
# 20  Rte 251/Rte 52 & Rte 30   is in my neck of the woods.  I'll pm my # .  Give a call if you get in a jam. 

Tim
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

God Bless and got tire chains?

Thank you and why chains?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

That's one heck of a journey. I guarantee it will take a lot longer that 47 hours though.
I'd recommend some light duty earplugs, that wind noise will wear on ya.
Make sure you eat at Bowpicker for me.

Oh I am planning on a week at least LOL

I am already hard of hearing

When I was out there earlier we did not eat there. I really enjoy some small diner in Gearhart and my girl is telling me a place called Serendipity (?) is really good ( Warrenton)
 Among other places..
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

The advantage of 20 is there are a lot of town thru there and assistance if needed  is not really far away unlike a interstate.   Also my help is available of what I can do for you as you pass through .  I am south on 81 and 20 a little  [20 miles]  I will pm my #

Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

What a beautiful place you are moving to! I love Astoria, and that part of the PNW. Good luck to you, and be safe!

Bob

Thanks Ed and Bob.

Yeah I really enjoyed it there when I was there.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

If it is the same 20 I remember, (30 as well) there are sections that will beat you to death. Typically unmaintained concrete road with  an expansion joint every 20 feet. I don't know  away around them either. We were going thru Dubuque and over 20 a few miles on our last trips out of Wisconsin, and there are places full of people who want to go around slower vehicles come hell or high water, so be careful.

It might be worth using a SMV sign or some flags up high to warn the texting and cell phone addicts out there that something is up and they need to wake up. (I realize you will be gong a bit too fast to legally use the slow moving vehicle sign.) Not a whole lot of wide shoulders in Iowa, but there is usually a hard gravel strip and some grass to pull off onto.

Enjoy it, it will be a once in a lifetime trip! 

Thanks Bill.  Perhaps I can use I am going slower then you signs LOL

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Teton Pass-that will be interesting with 60 hp-may be in first gear on some of it.  Very nice scenery though.

And Astoria is really nice but hope you like rain.  One of the adventures of a life time for sure.  Good luck!

Thanks, yeah rain doesn't bother me.
rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 10:00pm
I used to live in Astoria, It's a really nice place. The trolleys and maratime museum are especially cool. Also 20 goes right by my house over here in mass.LOL
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by The Fez The Fez wrote:

There will be an excellent beer and a plate of Pacific oysters waiting for you at the Ft. George Brewing Company overlooking the Columbia River in Astoria. Keep that in mind as you make the journey. Oregon State has some of the best beer in the US, IMHO.

We ate there ( drank too! )  I am more of a cheeseburger/ pizza and beer kinda guy. But I am sure I will try everything.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by rrrrrrrrr9 rrrrrrrrr9 wrote:

I used to live in Astoria, It's a really nice place. The trolleys and maratime museum are especially cool. Also 20 goes right by my house over here in mass.LOL

LOL Don't expect me to take a detour that way LOL
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 10:35pm
Because the snow will hit early this year in the high country.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2013 at 11:07pm
Like I've always said "If You Don't Follow Your Dream (girl) Someone Else Will" Best of Luck! I really appreciate this, at my age I'd just load it on a car hauler and meet both out there. You make us older guys envious. Keep us posted!
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 12:13am
Dennis - I just caught up with this post. Holy smokes! That is a an adventurous journey.. I have often thought about a cross country motorcycle trip and have always found a reason not to, I can't imagine doing it in a 66 year old vehicle!
Way to go!
I'll PM you later tonight.
Dutch
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

That's one heck of a journey. I guarantee it will take a lot longer that 47 hours though.
I'd recommend some light duty earplugs, that wind noise will wear on ya.
Make sure you eat at Bowpicker for me.

The Bowpicker Fish and Chips is owned by my uncle and his wife. My mom grew up in Astoria and a lot of family still live there.

Bring your raingear, you're in for an adventure!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 1:57am
Hey BerettaJeep

You are a very very brave man....I hope your Willys Jeep is in awesome shape....that is gonna be one crazy trip for sure...please keep us in the loop on this one...

You dragging any projects along with you???

I hope you can find work out there...I googled it...and it looks a very nice place to live...

The more I read about the Northwest the more impressed I am with the area...a lot stuff that is made in the USA is made in the Northwestern area of the country....

Good luck....keep it greasy side down for sure...:)

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 2:04am
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Like I've always said "If You Don't Follow Your Dream (girl) Someone Else Will" Best of Luck! I really appreciate this, at my age I'd just load it on a car hauler and meet both out there. You make us older guys envious. Keep us posted!

Almost 40 here LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Dutch Dutch wrote:

Dennis - I just caught up with this post. Holy smokes! That is a an adventurous journey.. I have often thought about a cross country motorcycle trip and have always found a reason not to, I can't imagine doing it in a 66 year old vehicle!
Way to go!
I'll PM you later tonight.
Dutch

I have done it before but I was 20 and it was in a at the time 6 year old car. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>